Avast or not Avast that is the question?

Search This thread

PaulMr.T

Nov 1, 2015
Hi All, Just a quickish query & any responses are appreciated. I recently moved from One M8 to Pixel XL & use Avast. My query is do I need Avast on new device ... I dont view 'adult' stuff, nor install 3rd party apps, Chrome set to protect from dangerous sites, Twitter app set to use Chrome not built in browser, I view XDA & AA on Twitter so will click links on any news that interests me, delete any email i receive in Inbox by Gmail which looks strange, Onefootball app I use and sometimes will click links to any site that a story is contained in, I do use Avast on laptop when transferring anything audio to phone prior to transfer & finally I do have my banking app on phone. Basically with this behaviour do I need Avast or can I ditch it?

Thanks in advance

NeoChontrix

Apr 17, 2015
Hi All, Just a quickish query & any responses are appreciated. I recently moved from One M8 to Pixel XL & use Avast. My query is do I need Avast on new device ... I dont view 'adult' stuff, nor install 3rd party apps, Chrome set to protect from dangerous sites, Twitter app set to use Chrome not built in browser, I view XDA & AA on Twitter so will click links on any news that interests me, delete any email i receive in Inbox by Gmail which looks strange, Onefootball app I use and sometimes will click links to any site that a story is contained in, I do use Avast on laptop when transferring anything audio to phone prior to transfer & finally I do have my banking app on phone. Basically with this behaviour do I need Avast or can I ditch it?

Thanks in advance
IMO the only use case would be using Avast to detect mitm attacks on public WiFi, but it is not even close to reliable...
You should use a VPN on public WiFi's so you don't have to care about anyone sniffing/modifying traffic.
All in all I would see no point in using avast, since Antivirus systems under android are completely powerless when it comes to any attack that uses an exploit that doesn't need any user interaction (e.g Stagefright).

Reactions: PaulMr.T

PaulMr.T

Nov 1, 2015
IMO the only use case would be using Avast to detect mitm attacks on public WiFi, but it is not even close to reliable...
You should use a VPN on public WiFi's so you don't have to care about anyone sniffing/modifying traffic.
All in all I would see no point in using avast, since Antivirus systems under android are completely powerless when it comes to any attack that uses an exploit that doesn't need any user interaction (e.g Stagefright).

Ah, Thanks for the reply, I don't use Public WiFi as usually dead slow let alone secure, I have MMS not set to download automatically & I do let use WhatsApp for example so I should be good to ditch? My main concern was due to mobile banking but it's via app and not browser so would presume safe?

PaulMr.T

Nov 1, 2015
Ah, Thanks for the reply, I don't use Public WiFi as usually dead slow let alone secure, I have MMS not set to download automatically & I do let use WhatsApp for example so I should be good to ditch? My main concern was due to mobile banking but it's via app and not browser so would presume safe?

Do not use WhatsApp I meant, for example.

PaulMr.T

Nov 1, 2015

Anyone else have info to add, it seems I could lose Avast and stay pretty safe?

IronRoo

Aug 4, 2014
Anyone else have info to add, it seems I could lose Avast and stay pretty safe?

it's true their antivirus is limited as only scans user apps which should normally be safe anyhow thanks to Google scanning them, though there may be times when Avast beats Google to identifying a vulnerably. But they also offer web shield, that might save you one day (depending on he browser you use). So for me I will always run something like Avast. I know some will take the piss out of me ...... but that don't brother me! :D

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
it's true their antivirus is limited as only scans user apps which should normally be safe anyhow thanks to Google scanning them, though there may be times when Avast beats Google to identifying a vulnerably. But they also offer web shield, that might save you one day (depending on he browser you use). So for me I will always run something like Avast. I know some will take the piss out of me ...... but that don't brother me! :D

"thanks to google scanning them"???? google is a virus. just my ¢.02.

err on the side of kindness

Reactions: LilAnt530

kushfighter2

Jun 19, 2015

Thanks in advance

if you want security on public wifi get ArpGuard from play store , i use it .

Reactions: iwanttoknow

kellyon

Dec 29, 2016
I use avast since 2013 and I don't have any regrets. Also I use vpn network to protect my security

LilAnt530

Sep 15, 2015
🐜 ❄️ 🥶
Things like that are like door locks. They keep the honest people honest but other then that they dont do much really.

The honest may stay honest.
But the criminal may seek a challenge in which case I always try to seem as defenseless as possible and it has been years since I can even remember using AV protection on Windows for anything lol.

To the OP :D

95% of how well your defense is against an attack is all about common sense before anything then probably the last 5% would be how much take you prefer to have on the software end....

Firewalls and VPN/anononimity software is probably the best way to steer clear from anything landing its way onto your devices that you do not want there!

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
@kushfighter2
What is the goal of ArpGuard ?
Could you please explain it and give us concret examples based on your experience of this application ?

Thanks in advance.

kushfighter2

Jun 19, 2015
@kushfighter2
Could you please explain it and give us concret examples based on your experience of this application ?

Thanks in advance.

Basically it combines a simple basic app that monitors your ARP table against attack.

When it is set to non root ,it simply disconnects the Wi-Fi and informs you about the attackers IP address.

The main reason I use it is because, unlike other apps which simply close the Wi-Fi connection, it has a pro feature at an acceptable price that prevents attacks like those from harming your device

It has 3 modes, non root, recovery and invulnerability

I have explained non root
Recovery informs you and blocks the attacks
Without cutting the Wi-Fi

Invulnerability does not even suffer attacks.

I suggest you try it.

But remember, if a person is using a spoof before you connected to the Wi-Fi, you cannkt detect it.

:D

Here's the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myprog.arpguard

Reactions: iwanttoknow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks in advance

"thanks to google scanning them"???? google is a virus. just my ¢.02.

err on the side of kindness

Thanks in advance

if you want security on public wifi get ArpGuard from play store , i use it .
    @kushfighter2

Thanks in advance.

Basically it combines a simple basic app that monitors your ARP table against attack.

When it is set to non root ,it simply disconnects the Wi-Fi and informs you about the attackers IP address.

The main reason I use it is because, unlike other apps which simply close the Wi-Fi connection, it has a pro feature at an acceptable price that prevents attacks like those from harming your device

It has 3 modes, non root, recovery and invulnerability

I have explained non root
    Recovery informs you and blocks the attacks
    Without cutting the Wi-Fi

Invulnerability does not even suffer attacks.

I suggest you try it.

But remember, if a person is using a spoof before you connected to the Wi-Fi, you cannkt detect it.

:D

Here's the link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myprog.arpguard