40 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By lrthumwood, Member on 15th August 2015, 09:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th May 2019, 02:21 AM |#2891  

More
2014 Honda Civic EX
Does this work on a 2014 Honda Civic EX? I have a 2014 Honda EX w/ Honda Link & Honda Connect. I will pay if someone can give me a step by step tutorial to do this. I know my Unit does not have a browser option. I do have two USB ports. What I want to do is install Waze or Google Maps onto the Head Unit. I have bluetooth as well. It seems the one difference between my vehicle and 2015 and above is I don't have a browser and I can't seem to find anywhere to "add apps". Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

11th May 2019, 05:28 PM |#2892  
Flag Northamptonshire
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaudio24

Does this work on a 2014 Honda Civic EX? I have a 2014 Honda EX w/ Honda Link & Honda Connect. I will pay if someone can give me a step by step tutorial to do this. I know my Unit does not have a browser option. I do have two USB ports. What I want to do is install Waze or Google Maps onto the Head Unit. I have bluetooth as well. It seems the one difference between my vehicle and 2015 and above is I don't have a browser and I can't seem to find anywhere to "add apps". Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you able to install the Honda Permissions.apk via your USB port? Instructions are in this thread.
11th May 2019, 10:48 PM |#2893  
Flag Northants
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:

Evening Buddy.

It might be worth you looking around this thread;

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...3487644/page85

I just came across it two days ago and am slowly trawling through it, but it sounds like you're in the US and some on here are using Head unit Reloaded https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/gb.xxy.hr or the small adaptors that allow AA and Carplay to work on their Android head units.
I was always under the impression that these dongles needed Android 4.2 and above, but it appears many are using it with the Honda's 4.0.4 units.
Also I've just managed to get the Head Unit Reloaded trial working on an old Xoom tablet running 4.0.4, so that gives me hope of it working on the Honda iMid in my TypeR. Just need to root it and try installing at some stage.

Ian Contessa
12th May 2019, 10:29 PM |#2894  

More
Cmdroid
Honda civic type r (fk2) going to get the latest firmware update (RC9 I think) next month. Anyone know if cmdroid would still work?
13th May 2019, 10:58 AM |#2895  

More
How?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legsmaniac

Are you able to install the Honda Permissions.apk via your USB port? Instructions are in this thread.

How do I install? I will certainly try. I do not know how to install the APK. Do I just plug it in and turn the car on? There is nowhere to "add apps"

Please Help

Thanks
13th May 2019, 10:30 PM |#2896  
Flag Northamptonshire
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Quote:

How do I install? I will certainly try.

Are you in America?
If so, don't worry about it. This thread (and the Honda Permissions.apk hack) is for the EU only works on HU's in EU.
16th May 2019, 03:41 PM |#2897  
Flag Northants

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason123

Honda civic type r (fk2) going to get the latest firmware update (RC9 I think) next month. Anyone know if cmdroid would still work?

Hey buddy.

Same for me, FK2 Type R 2016 plate owner.

From what I've seen, any update from RC7 onwards breaks the trick to just simply rename apps and install them. However there are two ways around it so far.

1. I'm running RC8 and finally had a go rooting mine on Wednesday using the iRoot method that injects the MikeS permissions app into the system.
I gave up trying to unscrew the screen to get to the USB port hidden behind it and instead ground down a usb lead and gave it a slight curve. Once I figured out which way up to have it, I managed to connect it quite easily with the screen in place but opened to see the CD slot.
So now I have the permissions app installed on a fresh RC8 update, to change the white list etc but as yet I've not managed to install an app.
Looking through the white list, there were two permissions that needed amending back to the PREINSTALL name from the text string its since changed to.
I did this with no success and also deleted one of the entries, as they were duplicates, but still no luck.
Run out of time to keep playing around, so will try again another day. Last thing I did was a hard reboot, so I'm hoping any changes just needed to take effect on a good reboot.

The other method, is to downgrade to RC6, install the permissions app using the usual trick. Then update to RC8 without doing the full reset at the end as the update instructions say.
This is perhaps the easier method, but I do feel RC8 works better following the final reset step.

Here is what I followed and re-scanning it tonight I've got the fix to my issue, as the poster had the same issue;

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=2430

Ian Contessa
17th May 2019, 01:55 PM |#2898  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryheli

Hey buddy.

Same for me, FK2 Type R 2016 plate owner.

From what I've seen, any update from RC7 onwards breaks the trick to just simply rename apps and install them. However there are two ways around it so far.

1. I'm running RC8 and finally had a go rooting mine on Wednesday using the iRoot method that injects the MikeS permissions app into the system.
I gave up trying to unscrew the screen to get to the USB port hidden behind it and instead ground down a usb lead and gave it a slight curve. Once I figured out which way up to have it, I managed to connect it quite easily with the screen in place but opened to see the CD slot.
So now I have the permissions app installed on a fresh RC8 update, to change the white list etc but as yet I've not managed to install an app.
Looking through the white list, there were two permissions that needed amending back to the PREINSTALL name from the text string its since changed to.
I did this with no success and also deleted one of the entries, as they were duplicates, but still no luck.
Run out of time to keep playing around, so will try again another day. Last thing I did was a hard reboot, so I'm hoping any changes just needed to take effect on a good reboot.

The other method, is to downgrade to RC6, install the permissions app using the usual trick. Then update to RC8 without doing the full reset at the end as the update instructions say.
This is perhaps the easier method, but I do feel RC8 works better following the final reset step.

Here is what I followed and re-scanning it tonight I've got the fix to my issue, as the poster had the same issue;

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=2430

Ian Contessa

Hey! Finally someone on the same boat as me! I just got a question, so right now I'm running an old RC version, defo below RC6 and I cant get mirrorlink to work with my Samsung S9, It always says incompatible phone or something like that. I'd like to know if the newer RC8/9 solves the problem? If not then I may as well stay on my current RC since its working already with custom apps. If mirrorlink works I'd prefer that and go through the trouble to try get custom apps to work too, however I'm worried they will stop working soon too as google have started turning off support for android 4 (ICS) api (14). I just wish some clever person could come up with custom rom for our head units that upgrades the android version! In the end I just want google maps as my satnav, Garmin sucks big time
17th May 2019, 02:07 PM |#2899  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Mirrorlink works for more phones with the newer updates. You might find RC6 will work which means you can still install apps without the messing about needed for RC8.
I'm on RC8 and my LG G4 works ok as does the Note 4. The Note tends to be better at mirrorlink than the G4. Obviously you need a mirrorlink enabled app on the phone for it to work.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
18th May 2019, 05:32 PM |#2900  
Flag Northants

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason123

Hey! Finally someone on the same boat as me! I just got a question, so right now I'm running an old RC version, defo below RC6 and I cant get mirrorlink to work with my Samsung S9, It always says incompatible phone or something like that. I'd like to know if the newer RC8/9 solves the problem? If not then I may as well stay on my current RC since its working already with custom apps. If mirrorlink works I'd prefer that and go through the trouble to try get custom apps to work too, however I'm worried they will stop working soon too as google have started turning off support for android 4 (ICS) api (14). I just wish some clever person could come up with custom rom for our head units that upgrades the android version! In the end I just want google maps as my satnav, Garmin sucks big time

Hey buddy.

Yep, same boat. As someone who likes playing around with their Android phones, not being able to do much with our headunit is annoying.
Problem is it works from its intended purpose, it's just that small percentage that would like more.

As above, RC8 seemed to fix the Mirrorlink not working for me in the past. My Note4 never did work, it died last year and I've now got a Note9 which works with Mirrorlink nicely now I'm running RC8.
I wouldn't say it's perfect, having had a few crashes. However I didn't reset the headunit after the RC8 update, so that's what I did last week and at the same time rooted the unit to re-install the permissions app as I don't want to loose the fixes RC8 has given me.

Mirrorlink is rubbish if compared to Android Auto though, having experienced this in the wifes MokkaX it's a great feature.
Spotify doesn't work through Mirrorlink, but Deezer does for music apps.

To my knowledge Mirrorlink isn't changing, as it's too old and not really implemented in newer cars.
Android Auto is going through some changes by Google if memory serves correct, but these won't effect us as we don't have it.

I've not been back in the car yet to have another play, but will update you when I do. I'm confident I'll be back to installing apps on RC8 as I could with RC4.

Ian Contessa
20th June 2019, 09:40 PM |#2901  

More
Does anyone knows if the app "easy call" is compatible with RC6? and if it is, someone has the APK to install?
thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
honda connect

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)