FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Building An Android Kernel

252 posts
Thanks Meter: 61

Post Reply Email Thread
There are a lot of people out there wondering how to build kernels. It sounds confusing and hard, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually quite easy. I got the jist of it in just a few practices. Now I give all of my information to you, in the simplest, most comprehensible and most noob friendly way I can. In this guide, I will be building the kernel for my phone, the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE. So make your adjustments where necessary.

What You Will Need:
  • A linux OS. I now use Ubuntu 14.04 Manjaro, and Manjaro or Arch are preferred. (Ubuntu is easiest)
  • Patience
  • (Optional) A boot.img for your device
  • Required files

Required Files:
Open terminal and paste the following (I assume you already have java and perl and all that jazz):
In Ubuntu/ Debian:
Code:
sudo apt-get install abootimg git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev ia32-libs lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib
For Arch/Manjaro, do
Code:
sudo pacman -S gcc git gnupg flex bison gperf sdl wxgtk squashfs-tools curl ncurses zlib schedtool perl-switch zip unzip libxslt python2-virtualenv bc
for 32 and 64 bit systems. For only 64 bit, add the following:
Code:
sudo pacman -S gcc-multilib lib32-zlib lib32-ncurses lib32-readline
Also, abootimg can be installed using
Code:
yaourt -S abootimg-git
For other distros, you may have to modify the command to get the required files, such as using yum
Also, make sure you have setup git and it is ready to go.

Setting Up Folders:
You are going to need a folder to build you kernel in. For this tutorial, I will use my setup: /home/nick/android/kernel/SPH-L300/Kernel. Kernel is the source directory that is made from the source zip and SPH-L300 I will also use a lot, which contains Kernel.

Downloading The Source:
  • Download the zip from http://opensource.samsung.com/ or from InsanelyCool's stock kernel source. Then I put it in the SPH-L300 folder. Afterwards, unzip it. You should have 2 files, Kernel.tar.gz and Platform.tar.gz. We are going to focus on Kernel.tar.gz, so unzip it. This will make the Kernel folder.
  • Now, in your terminal, cd to somewhere to keep your toolchains. I keep mine in ~/android/kernel.
Now type
Code:
git clone git://github.com/DooMLoRD/android_prebuilt_toolchains.git toolchains
for the toolchains I used. They should be put in the folder toolchains.

Modifying The Kernel:
Now is the time to modify the kernel. You can apply patches and change governors and frequencies etc here.

Applying a Patch:
The kernel version is 3.0.31. You can upgrade it using patches. Patches can be found here. You have to apply one patch at a time, which is why scripts come in handy when patching multiple times. I am going to show you how to upgrade to 3.0.33, since you can do that without error.
  • First, download patch-3.0.31-32.bz2 (or .gz) and download patch-3.0.32-33.bz2 (or .gz).
  • Extract both and move the extracted files into the Kernel source folder.
  • Cd to this folder in your terminal and type
Code:
patch -p1 < patch-3.0.31-32
. If you get something about
Code:
...assume -R? [n]
just press enter then press y then enter again.
Do the same steps for applying the other patch, just mod the command to work.

Building The Kernel:
Setting Up Environment:
In the Kernel source directory, open the file Makefile and press ctrl-f. Then enter CROSS_COMPILE, and look for CROSS_COMPILE = /xxxxx, where xxxxx is a directory. Change that directory to the toolchain of your choice. **Not all toolchains work!** For me, it would look like: CROSS_COMPILE = /home/nick/android/kernel/toolchains/arm-eabi-linaro-4.6.2/bin/arm-eabi- for Linaro 4.6.2. Save the file and exit.
Make sure your terminal is in the Kernel source directory.
Kernel Name:
If you want to change the kernel name, in terminal type
Code:
KBUILD_BUILD_VERSION="ROM NAME"
then
Code:
export KBUILD_BUILD_VERSION
Compiling It:
Next, type
Code:
export ARCH=arm
into terminal.

Almost there. The next step is to type
Code:
make gogh_defconfig
into terminal.
If you added options such as governors, do
Code:
make menuconfig
to activate them.
Otherwise, type
Code:
make -jx
  • where x is the number of processes per core. I use
-j2 for a dual core cpu. This takes about 20-30 mins for me. A quad-core Intel cpu takes 4 mins if you use -j5. For Intel, it is the # of cores + 1.

Actually Putting The Kernel Together:
Now that it has built, assuming you have had no errors and the terminal finishes with
Code:
 Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
you are ready to assemble the kernel. Cd to outside your Kernel source to the folder that contains it. For me that would be SPH-L300. You are going to need a working boot.img for this phone to speed up this process by a lot. Whether its stock, mine, or Insanelycool's, just paste it into the folder.
  • In terminal, type
Code:
abootimg -x boot.img
Then
Code:
mkdir initrd && cd initrd && zcat ../initrd.img | cpio -i
And finally
Code:
find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../initrd.img
This splits the boot.img, and puts the ramdisk in the initrd folder.
  • Now, navigate to (kernel source)/arch/arm/boot and copy the zImage to where you were before (the SPH-L300 folder for me). When you paste, override the pre-existing zImage.
  • If you would like to change the splash screen before the bootanimation, swap out initlogo.rle in the initrd folder with the image of you choice. It must be a rle image and must be named initlogo to work. I won't tell you how to convert png's to rle's cuz I am sure you know how to Google.
Now, we actually but the boot.img together. In terminal, type
Code:
cd ../ && abootimg --create boot.img -k zImage -r initrd.img && abootimg --create boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r initrd.img
and make sure you are in the initrd folder. If you get the error updated is too big for Boot Image, use this command:
Code:
cd ../ && abootimg --create boot.img -k zImage -r initrd.img && abootimg --create boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -c "bootsize=xxxxxx" -r initrd.img
and replace the x's with the size the kernel wants to be. This will give you a new boot.img in the containing folder (SPH-L300 for me). Now just zip it up and tell the updater-script where to flash it and voila!, you just made you own kernel.

Feel free to ask any questions below.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ONE PERSON IN SPECIFIC, AND THAT IS INSANELYCOOL FOR TEACHING ME MOST OF THE STEPS HERE.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Nick_73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nick_73 Ad-Free

11th December 2015, 10:32 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 87

More
please help me a aint got a clue using ubuntu 15.10 withe kernel 4.3
6th January 2016, 02:52 AM |#3  
Flag hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_73

There are a lot of people out there wondering how to build kernels. It sounds confusing and hard, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually quite easy. I got the jist of it in just a few practices. Now I give all of my information to you, in the simplest, most comprehensible and most noob friendly way I can. In this guide, I will be building the kernel for my phone, the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE. So make your adjustments where necessary.

What You Will Need:

• A linux OS. I now use Ubuntu 14.04 Manjaro, and Manjaro or Arch are preferred. (Ubuntu is easiest)
  • Patience
  • Required files

Required Files:
Open terminal and paste the following (I assume you already have java and perl and all that jazz):
In Ubuntu/ Debian:
Code:
sudo apt-get install abootimg git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev ia32-libs lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib
For Arch/Manjaro, do
Code:
sudo pacman -S gcc git gnupg flex bison gperf sdl wxgtk squashfs-tools curl ncurses zlib schedtool perl-switch zip unzip libxslt python2-virtualenv bc
Code:
Code:
yaourt -S abootimg-git
For other distros, you may have to modify the command to get the required files, such as using yum

Setting Up Folders:
You are going to need a folder to build you kernel in. For this tutorial, I will use my setup: /home/nick/android/kernel/SPH-L300/Kernel. Kernel is the source directory that is made from the source zip and SPH-L300 I will also use a lot, which contains Kernel.

Downloading The Source:
  • Download the zip from http://opensource.samsung.com/ or from InsanelyCool's stock kernel source. Then I put it in the SPH-L300 folder. Afterwards, unzip it. You should have 2 files, Kernel.tar.gz and Platform.tar.gz. We are going to focus on Kernel.tar.gz, so unzip it. This will make the Kernel folder.
  • Now, in your terminal, cd to somewhere to keep your toolchains. I keep mine in ~/android/kernel.
Now type
Code:

Modifying The Kernel:
Now is the time to modify the kernel. You can apply patches and change governors and frequencies etc here.

Applying a Patch:
The kernel version is 3.0.31. You can upgrade it using patches. Patches can be found here. You have to apply one patch at a time, which is why scripts come in handy when patching multiple times. I am going to show you how to upgrade to 3.0.33, since you can do that without error.
  • First, download patch-3.0.31-32.bz2 (or .gz) and download patch-3.0.32-33.bz2 (or .gz).
Code:
Code:
...assume -R? [n]

Building The Kernel:
Setting Up Environment:
In the Kernel source directory, open the file Makefile and press ctrl-f. Then enter CROSS_COMPILE, and look for CROSS_COMPILE = /xxxxx, where xxxxx is a directory. Change that directory to the toolchain of your choice. **Not all toolchains work!** For me, it would look like: CROSS_COMPILE = /home/nick/android/kernel/toolchains/arm-eabi-linaro-4.6.2/bin/arm-eabi- for Linaro 4.6.2. Save the file and exit.
Kernel Name:
Code:
then
Code:
Compiling It:
Next, type
Code:
export ARCH=arm
into terminal.

Code:
make gogh_defconfig
into terminal.
Code:
make menuconfig
to activate them.
Otherwise, type
Code:
make -jx
-j2 for a dual core cpu. This takes about 20-30 mins for me. A quad-core Intel cpu takes 4 mins if you use -j5. For Intel, it is the # of cores + 1.

Now that it has built, assuming you have had no errors and the terminal finishes with
Code:
you are ready to assemble the kernel. Cd to outside your Kernel source to the folder that contains it. For me that would be SPH-L300. You are going to need a working boot.img for this phone to speed up this process by a lot. Whether its stock, mine, or Insanelycool's, just paste it into the folder.
  • In terminal, type
Code:
abootimg -x boot.img
Then
Code:
And finally
Code:
  • Now, navigate to (kernel source)/arch/arm/boot and copy the zImage to where you were before (the SPH-L300 folder for me). When you paste, override the pre-existing zImage.
  • If you would like to change the splash screen before the bootanimation, swap out initlogo.rle in the initrd folder with the image of you choice. It must be a rle image and must be named initlogo to work. I won't tell you how to convert png's to rle's cuz I am sure you know how to Google.
Code:
cd ../ && abootimg --create boot.img -k zImage -r initrd.img && abootimg --create boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r initrd.img
and make sure you are in the initrd folder. If you get the error updated is too big for Boot Image, use this command:
Code:
cd ../ && abootimg --create boot.img -k zImage -r initrd.img && abootimg --create boot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -c "bootsize=xxxxxx" -r initrd.img
and replace the x's with the size the kernel wants to be. This will give you a new boot.img in the containing folder (SPH-L300 for me). Now just zip it up and tell the updater-script where to flash it and voila!, you just made you own kernel.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ONE PERSON IN SPECIFIC, AND THAT IS INSANELYCOOL FOR TEACHING ME MOST OF THE STEPS HERE.

Actually where is the zImage located in output/arch/arm/boot/ or in source/arch/arm/boot/ both the files are different for me

Sent from my SM-G530H using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to redfeast For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redfeast Ad-Free
6th January 2016, 05:00 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Niagara Falls

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepreddychimmula

Actually where is the zImage located in output/arch/arm/boot/ or in source/arch/arm/boot/ both the files are different for me

The one you made may be a diff size depending on the compression and mods you've done

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
6th January 2016, 01:34 PM |#5  
Flag hyderabad

More
Quote:

The one you made may be a diff size depending on the compression and mods you've done

I mean which is the compiled one

6th January 2016, 02:57 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Niagara Falls

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I mean which is the compiled one

The one u compiled should be the output

7th January 2016, 05:11 PM |#7  
Flag hyderabad

More
Quote:

What You Will Need:

• Patience
  • Required files

Required Files:
In Ubuntu/ Debian:
Code:
For Arch/Manjaro, do
Code:
Code:
Code:
yaourt -S abootimg-git

Setting Up Folders:

Downloading The Source:
Now type
Code:

Modifying The Kernel:

Applying a Patch:
Code:
Code:
...assume -R? [n]

Building The Kernel:
Setting Up Environment:
Kernel Name:
Code:
then
Code:
Compiling It:
Next, type
Code:
export ARCH=arm
into terminal.

Code:
make gogh_defconfig
into terminal.
Code:
make menuconfig
to activate them.
Otherwise, type
Code:
make -jx

Code:
  • In terminal, type
Code:
abootimg -x boot.img
Then
Code:
And finally
Code:
Code:
Code:

How to covert zImage- to boot.img

7th January 2016, 07:25 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Niagara Falls

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

How to covert zImage- to boot.img

It tells u in the instructions how to put the zImage into the boot.img

Sent from my 1+ One using Tapatalk
10th January 2016, 02:13 PM |#9  
Flag Durban
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Fantastic guide. Much appreciated!!! Thank you.
8th February 2016, 11:45 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Now if i need to compile a custom kernel, i know where to look at.
14th February 2016, 12:41 PM |#11  
Flag Lutsk
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Quote:

(I assume you already have java and perl and all that jazz)

it's not noob friendly. how do i know about other stuff that required for compiling?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, build, kernel, kernel (android os)

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)