Replica Nexus 4 Bumper Case Review: Old Hotness is the New Hotness!

Search This thread

o1nks

Nov 27, 2013
Think I got a defective case, my power button on the case isn't very tactile.. when I take it out and push it out a bit it's tactile for the first few clicks then it turns into a mushy button. When it gets mushy, it's very sensitive, I can push along the right side of the case and the button will push.

y9VbdhH.jpg

jphilippon

Apr 15, 2012
Think I got a defective case, my power button on the case isn't very tactile.. when I take it out and push it out a bit it's tactile for the first few clicks then it turns into a mushy button. When it gets mushy, it's very sensitive, I can push along the right side of the case and the button will push.

y9VbdhH.jpg

This is how both of mine were. I just lost hope of getting a good one and fixed it myself.

Peel the ring of silver off the case. Get a nail file or something similar. Hold it on a hard surface and grind some plastic off the inside of the button.

This fixed it and made it perfect for me. Feels just as clicky as no case. Make sure you don't scratch the outside of the button on whatever surface you're doing this on.

sent from my Nexus 5

oby2

Jul 9, 2011
Guaynabo
i bought this case, the only problems ive been having is unless its the OEM it might fall out easily or not even fit at all. and this one happened the other day, i was taking the case off to clean the phone and realized it was tougher than expected. after the case was finally removed i realized the back panel had unhinged itself and i could see the internals of the phone, a quick snap pushed it back together but since then i have to be extra careful removing it for fear that it'll rip the back plate off completely. i purchased it from amazon.

Last edited:

o1nks

Nov 27, 2013
This is how both of mine were. I just lost hope of getting a good one and fixed it myself.

Peel the ring of silver off the case. Get a nail file or something similar. Hold it on a hard surface and grind some plastic off the inside of the button.

This fixed it and made it perfect for me. Feels just as clicky as no case. Make sure you don't scratch the outside of the button on whatever surface you're doing this on.

sent from my Nexus 5

Thanks, did the thing you said and my button is a lot better. It's not as tactile before but it finally feels like a proper button now.

I was going to reorder but I thought I would just get the same thing because they just send the case with no protection on it. :/

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
i bought this case, the only problems ive been having is unless its the OEM it might fall out easily or not even fit at all. and this one happened the other day, i was taking the case off to clean the phone and realized it was tougher than expected. after the case was finally removed i realized the back panel had unhinged itself and i could see the internals of the phone, a quick snap pushed it back together but since then i have to be extra careful removing it for fear that it'll rip the back plate off completely. i purchased it from amazon.

I saw your post and decided to make a video on how I remove the bumper. I haven't had any problems at all with it being too tight or anything. The bumper fits nice and snug, but it's still easy enough to remove. I've added it to the OP, but I'll just link it here too.

UnicornKaz

May 5, 2007
Southern Ontario
OP link to ebay listed as "Metal + TPU" ...

the metal does not effect reception at all ??

BTW ... Thanks... I'd ordered one ...now the wait for it to arrive from China :p

jfunk23crx

May 28, 2011
Thanks Bacon for this... :thumbup:

Got the bumper for my wife and mines N5s... I even got the mettalic overlays for the rears. Think we finally found the perfect setup, besides naked...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: mmmmBACON

catpunt

Apr 25, 2006
thanks for the tip, i've been rocking this case for a week. i LOVE it. it's EXACTLY like the nexus 4 case, like the same manufacturer made the exact same case for the nexus 5. this is what i've always wanted!

Reactions: mmmmBACON

Liskrig

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
twitter.com
Probably should have asked this before I bought one... Does the case raise up enough to keep the camera off the table? I have a bumper case (cheap $3 on Amazon) and there isn't any space left by the case between the camera and the table, causing it to potentially scratch the lens.

All the same... Thanks for the find @Mmmbacon!!!

oby2

Jul 9, 2011
Guaynabo
I saw your post and decided to make a video on how I remove the bumper. I haven't had any problems at all with it being too tight or anything. The bumper fits nice and snug, but it's still easy enough to remove. I've added it to the OP, but I'll just link it here too.

thanks, after watching your video and playing around with the cover a bit i've realized that the best way to go about removing the case is to pop off the corners near the bottom of the phone first (the way you did it in the video). I don't know if it has anything to do with it but since adopting this method, I'v had no issues and have removed the cover safely.

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Hey bacon what tempered glass are you using

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

It's a Nillkin H+

Probably should have asked this before I bought one... Does the case raise up enough to keep the camera off the table? I have a bumper case (cheap $3 on Amazon) and there isn't any space left by the case between the camera and the table, causing it to potentially scratch the lens.

All the same... Thanks for the find @Mmmbacon!!!

Give the OP a read through. I mentioned about the lift, and included pictures as well.

thanks, after watching your video and playing around with the cover a bit i've realized that the best way to go about removing the case is to pop off the corners near the bottom of the phone first (the way you did it in the video). I don't know if it has anything to do with it but since adopting this method, I'v had no issues and have removed the cover safely.

Good good, glad you're no longer having any difficulties! :)

Reactions: Liskrig

isangmahal

Feb 28, 2008
Wireless charging with the bumper case?

Is wireless charging possible with the bumper case on? I'm constructing a wireless setup with the official Nexus 5/7 wireless charger in my care and would like to at least have some protection for the sides when it drops?

With the bumper case not working well with the microUSB cables, can anyone take a picture of what they mean by that? I sometimes disconnect the microUSB charging cable that comes with the Nexus Wireless charger if I need to rapid charge my phone.

Lokke9191

Nov 20, 2013
Glenview, IL
Wireless charging does work with this case. As for the usb not fitting, the opening of the case for the usb is flush with the usb port on the phone, which does not allow a usb to be plugged in with the case on. Poor design. As for the case in general, it looks and feels pretty good. I just received on I bought from Amazon about an hour ago. My gripe is that the chrome coating of the buttons is all chipped and missing parts. The case seems pretty flimsy until put on the phone. Once on the phone it's solid and fits great. The buttons work perfectly. I don't know how much protection it'll provide if dropped being it's a pretty thin case. Much thinner than the slim armor I usually use. Overall I like this case a lot. Its the best looking and feeling case I have outta the slim armor, tech21, and ballistic sg. The lip on the front is perfect too for when I put it face down.

Over all looks and feels awesome.
Protection...meh
Good case, not great.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
Wireless charging does work with this case. As for the usb not fitting, the opening of the case for the usb is flush with the usb port on the phone, which does not allow a usb to be plugged in with the case on. Poor design. As for the case in general, it looks and feels pretty good. I just received on I bought from Amazon about an hour ago. My gripe is that the chrome coating of the buttons is all chipped and missing parts. The case seems pretty flimsy until put on the phone. Once on the phone it's solid and fits great. The buttons work perfectly. I don't know how much protection it'll provide if dropped being it's a pretty thin case. Much thinner than the slim armor I usually use. Overall I like this case a lot. Its the best looking and feeling case I have outta the slim armor, tech21, and ballistic sg. The lip on the front is perfect too for when I put it face down.

Over all looks and feels awesome.
Protection...meh
Good case, not great.

I've been mostly using wireless charging since I've gotten the case and it works well. I have plugged it in a few times with no problems though. I also noticed the paint chipping as soon as I took it out of the box. I contacted amazon and they gave me a partial return of 5 dollars, so I was fine with that. To be honest I stopped noticing it, but if it gets worse I might just color it black with a sharpie. It might actually look better like that.

For bacon, or anyone else. I wanted to get a tempered glass screen protector. What thickness would be recommended to use with this case?

Lokke9191

Nov 20, 2013
Glenview, IL
I've been mostly using wireless charging since I've gotten the case and it works well. I have plugged it in a few times with no problems though. I also noticed the paint chipping as soon as I took it out of the box. I contacted amazon and they gave me a partial return of 5 dollars, so I was fine with that. To be honest I stopped noticing it, but if it gets worse I might just color it black with a sharpie. It might actually look better like that.

For bacon, or anyone else. I wanted to get a tempered glass screen protector. What thickness would be recommended to use with this case?

Bacon uses the nillkin h+ which is 0.3mm thick.

Reactions: PsychDrummer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For UK Residents:

I had a lot of people asking where I bought this bumper from, so I figured I might as well do it justice and give a full review of it. I think I’m finally pretty happy with all of the accessories that I’ve got now, since I’ve bought so much for this phone already. I don’t think I’ve ever stockpiled this much stuff dedicated to one device before. So this will probably be my last review thread as I think that might be it.

As I mentioned in the transparent bumper case review thread, the options for a decent bumper case on the Nexus 5 are pretty crap. To put it bluntly, the vast majority of bumper cases out there for the Nexus 5 are trash. They look like crap, they feel like crap, the button feedback sucks, and the protection is substandard. You might as well just go naked as most available bumpers don’t offer much. Some come close to being pretty good cases, but still have some rather large flaws. It seems nobody really considered making a decent bumper case for the Nexus 5, instead focusing on TPU/Hybrid/Hardcases.

I guess the market for strictly true bumper cases isn’t very large, but there are people who would still like a true bumper case. Since I started putting skins on the back of my phone, a bumper was the best option. I still prefer minimalism (and would still be using the Quicksand hardcases if I didn’t put a skin on), so I opted not to have a normal case with a clear plastic window on the back as that would add too much bulk for my liking.

That’s where the Replica Nexus 4 Bumper comes in. When I initially saw it though, I dismissed it based on pricing alone! I mean who honestly would pay $25+ for a then unproven “Replica” of a last generation phone’s bumper case?

Not me!

no-hell-no.gif

I wouldn’t pay $25+ for any case, even if it was a big brand name. No piece(s) of plastic, regardless of what brand is stamped on it, is worth that price to me. The $0.99 Quicksand hardcases and semi-transparent hardcases also proved that you can have fantastic (IMO even better) cases for dirt cheap in comparison to the same style cases of the bigger brands (eg: Spigen Ultra Fit/Ringke Slim/Google Snap Case).

But enough ranting (sorry my bad, that was quite a long one…)

A little while later, the bumper dropped to something more reasonable, less than 1/4 of the price it was originally going for! Then I figured, “What the hell, why not? It’s only $6.99 now.”

And then… What turned out to be the best Nexus 5 bumper case was on its way.

upyy8kB.jpg

“We have to go back!!”

So, it’s kind of funny that with all of these other bumper cases out for the Nexus 5 (I’ve bought a bunch and only put a review up for one other bumper as the rest just plain sucked), that my favorite would turn out to be not a new design, but an old design that was made for the Nexus 4! I guess that old saying of, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” really holds true here. I will say it. This replica Nexus 4 bumper case, is the best bumper case you will find for the Nexus 5. Take an old design, stretch it out a bit, slap it on the Nexus 5, WIN!

Materials and Build Quality:

XgbCW4g.jpg

tH23uzm.jpg

This bumper case is made of a two piece construction. The black portion is a very flexible yet hard (dense not rigid) TPU. It’s durable, and from the rather massive tumble my phone took after being knocked out of my hand, offers great drop protection too! The gray/silver portion is a flexible hard plastic that seems to have just as much bend to it as the TPU portion. Both together absorb impacts pretty well and from the looks of it, despite landing and bouncing around on pavement, only scuffed up the silver finish on the hard plastic with no other visible damage whatsoever to the case, and more importantly, the phone is still pristine! You can think of this two piece construction along the lines of other hard and soft combo cases like the Spigen Neo Hybrid, minus the back.

8INpFHS.jpg

The black TPU portion also has a texture with a ton of little indentations for a nice feel. Your fingers will like it. It adds a lot of grip and gives it an overall nicer look than just having the standard flat TPU. The TPU is also a matte finish, so there won’t be any visible fingerprints on the bumper. This is true for the hard plastic as well. Since it isn’t a shiny finish, and sticks to gray/silver, fingerprints don’t show.

Proper buttons are such a welcome addition!!

3l2UCFj.gif

Most cases just have buttons that are part of the mold or holes that are cut out.

With regards to the first type, when the button is just a part of the mold, most times the tactile feedback is almost nonexistent. You don’t know if you’ve pressed anything, or the button double presses, or sometimes it just doesn’t work at all… When it is just a cut out hole, unless it is a thin case, a lot of the times the proportions become out of whack and it feels like you have to dig your finger in to press the button, or sometimes you miss the location completely. Neither is a problem with this bumper case! The buttons here are real additional buttons inserted in the plastic frame!!

The feels baby, the feels!

There is a nice tactile feedback. The buttons are loose but not giggly/rattle loose. And the most important part, when you press the button, it feels like a damn button! It clicks when it’s supposed to click, and you know it clicks. It works and feels just the way it should. You’d be surprised how so many case manufacturers get this wrong with their cases...

5iK0Wtk.jpg

I1r23pd.jpg

Fit and Feel in Hand:

dxl5K22.jpg

The bumper fits the phone like a glove. There are no gaps, it isn’t loose, and the phone doesn’t move around in the case. It fits perfectly and feels solid in the hand. That’s not to say that it’s so tight that you can’t take it off if you needed to. It does take a bit of wiggling, but it does come off without too much difficulty. All you need to do is stretch out a corner first, pop out the corner of the phone, and then the rest slips right out, no problems.

The bumper does add a bit of girth to the sides, top, and bottom of the phone. This is unavoidable of course, as all cases (unless it’s a snap on hardcase) will have to add some bulk. Despite it adding a bit to the width, the phone still feels good in the hand and doesn’t feel very bulky. This is because there is no back to the case, so the phone still feels thin in the hand even though it’s wider! So unlike other cases that can make it seem like you have a brick in your hand instead of a phone because of both extra width and thickness, this one still feels good. You can still feel the slight rounded back of the Nexus 5 and the overall profile is still pretty thin.

lOXnZmC.jpg

The part that can be a bit annoying, and I guess this goes for a lot of cases out there, is the headphone cutout. The case was designed to only accommodate thin earbud style headphones with the thin input jack. This tends to happen with a lot of cases, and while it kind of sucks, it’s not a deal breaker. I guess they assume most people will just use earbuds, but I like using a proper set of headphones sometimes and it would have been nice to have a bigger hole (all case manufacturers should take this into consideration).

I did resort to buying an extension adapter cable that is thin and fits in the hole. Then I just plug my headphones into the adapter cable and all is well. I wish I didn’t have to do that though, but it isn’t too much of a hassle.

MLwI1Oq.jpg

Protection:

Well of course being a bumper case it has to you know... protect from bumps and such. So does it fare well? I did mention earlier that the phone was knocked out of my hand and took a big fall and tumbled along the pavement. The bumper performed like a champ! The phone is still perfect, and there is very minimal damage done to the case, just scuffed paint. There are no dents, cracked plastic, or broken off pieces of TPU; the case is still pretty much in tip top shape. So in terms of drop protection, it’s all good!

6T8wRCS.jpg

There is a nice lip over the front of the phone for those of you who do the phone face down on a table thing. It is also good to note that the lip accommodates tempered glass screen protectors very well (and I assume plastic ones as well). You can see from the pic above that the lip perfectly presses against all sides of the glass screen protector but doesn’t lift it in any way. So for those of you who want additional protection for your screen, you won’t have any problems with this case messing with your screen protector. The lip, while high, doesn’t impede swiping at all. You can still easily swipe your fingers from the sides and screen feedback isn’t affected.

Another concern is the lift on the back. Being a bumper case, people may think the back still scrapes against the table, or that the camera might still scratch against things. Well you don’t have to worry. The top lip of the case lifts the phone up high enough that there is a nice gap between the phone and the table. You can see in the photos below how the top lip of the bumper case gives it a nice space. You can even see the camera lens hovering over the table. So don’t worry, the lens is lifted and the back of the phone won’t get scratches either. You may think that the sides help in lifting the phone, but the gap between the phone and the table is created entirely from the top and bottom lips of the bumper only.

TCxgPrI.jpg

yjXgCDT.jpg

In the last pic you can see better the nice lip at the top which is higher than the camera, the nice bottom lip as well, and the sides keeping a thin profile to keep the phone feeling slim overall.

V4Xa2Bb.jpg

Conclusions:

This is an easy one!

G5zCgFG.jpg

How to remove the bumper:

Some people were having a bit of difficulty removing the bumper case from the phone as it is a nice and snug fit. So here is a video demo of what I do when I take it off.

I don't like this guy. He keeps posting great reviews and makes me buy **** I don't really need. Not cool dude.

Just got this bumper yesterday, as soon as I put it on, I had a familiar feeling...

At first I couldn't recognise what that was, but it felt...familiar.. then I realised it. OF COURSE! GALAXY NEXUS!!!!!!!

This case feels so much like the galaxy nexus, the side metal frame has that feeling of gnex body to it! And the buttons are absolutely fantastic, they sit exactly on top of the original buttons, so you never loose the clicking feel!

The main issue I have with this bumper case though, is it's width. Along with the phone's 69mm, this adds a substantial 5mm width, making it close to a little over the 74mm mark. This makes it a little wider than I would've preferred, also the screen seems like it has double the amount of bezel that it did before. And this'll sound odd, but the 5 inch screen now seems...smaller (!) I'll hopefully get used to it though, as I love the look and feel of it.

So just a word of caution, if you're okay with the width increase, only then should you purchase this. Everything else is top notch!
    My bumper with a dbrand skin
    8uvu9ebe.jpg

Sorry for the quality, I took the picture with my nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk