FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[BATTERY MODS SUMMARY THREAD] So, about battery replacements...

183 posts
Thanks Meter: 49

By Nolfer, Senior Member on 2nd March 2019, 12:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello there, Nexus 5 enthusiasts.

It's been quite a while since we talked about it and people reported regularly about their battery replacements here on XDA for their nexus 5.

With this thread I'm just going to try and ask for help to the modding community, as I've been through hell and back, and after many batteries purchased, dremel quests, soldering smokes, fingers burned and quite a bit of swearing, I'm still here, stuck with a provisory battery (the only LG G2 one that managed to not die) that boasts the astonishing capacity of 1630mAh.

I've become a walking charger man, always looking for the next electric socket to plug my N5 into.

This has to stop.

So I gave up my search engines quest and I'm asking for your human help.
I'm picturing this thread as some kind of "summary thread", in which we sum up our experiences and our successes, and see what works and what doesn't.
Please post your experience in here if you've been successful in extending your Nexus 5 battery life with a battery mod, and please indicate where you bought the battery (paste the shop link)

So, as far as I understand, it looks like:
° Some korean guy bought the 525666 3020 mAh battery from taobao and managed to slam it into the N5 dremeling the chassis. This option, however, isn't viable, as european and american people cannot have batteries shipped to them from China (something about safety regulations), so we Westerners cannot adopt this solution.
° The LG g2's 3000 mAh batteries are too old and will yield abysmal charge (see my experience with it). On top of that, there's virtually no way to know if you're receiving an original one
° Someone said that the N5X batteries are a viable option, and 2700mAh are enough.
° Looking through these N5 battery replacement threads, I've come to know that the 3020 525666 battery from taobao is actually the Xiaomi Mi4 battery. Is this true? If it is, westerners could purchase one outside taobao on ebay or amazon or similar. Would purchasing the Mi4 battery and modding it with the original N5 battery circuit be a good solution? However the voltage of this battery is 4.40V, much higher than the 3.8V of the original. Is this okay or not?

The N5X option is certainly viable, however before spending more money, I'd like to make all the options clear for me and for all the people that are still interested in this mod.
Calling up @234herobrine432 and all the others

23rd April 2019, 01:44 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
The Modders Battery Talk.
The truth is you can do the Lg G2 battery mod on a lot of batteries (And devices) it source doesn't need to be the Lg G2 battery and the destination doesn't need to be the Nexus 5. The main things you should consider are the Voltage and the Dimensions of the battery:

Voltage: You want the SAME as the OEM
mAh: Higher means longer lasting(Not always but assuming the Wh rating is also higher in the battery)
Wh: Same as OEM or Higher

As for how you can use a 4.4V battery to replace the 3.8V phone. The answer is simple the 3.8V is the nominal voltage rating of the LiPo battery meaning that the power delivery of it is actually between 4.35V and 3.0V (as stated on the OEM Battery). So the fully charged battery will output 4.35V that said if you put a 4.4V battery in a phone that's rated for 3.8V the circuit will stop charging the battery at 4.35V. That said the 4.4V minimum voltage is almost the same but a higher maximum voltage I.e 4.4V vs 4.35V. So Tl:dr you can but it's not the best idea.

Now since you want to get more battery capacity, look at alternative LiPo Batteries for batteries that will fit into the Nexus 5. A good starting point would be BL-T32 and BL-T34. Dimensions might not be exactly the same as I have yet to try but the battery itself will work. Alternatively assuming you have a 3d printer you could just get away with printing a new backplate and don't have to worry about the Dimensions of the new battery.

As for sites I've used for OEMs are (Made account to answer to this so can't post hyperlinks):
spareslg.com => Nexus 5X OEM battery
globaldirectparts.com => LG G2 OEM Battery

Hope this Helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to PretentiousFruit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PretentiousFruit Ad-Free
25th May 2019, 12:14 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
copy pasted from my other reply, i just wanna share my thoughts. i bought a 3rd party battery straight from their official seller, here it is called SHOPEE.com: LOG-ON battery, claims to have 3500mah, which i doubt. but the good thing is, i found a manufactured stickered on physical battery 04/2018. so yea, might as well buy third party one. it is newer, less hassle. and in dollar, its about $4 shipped.
24th August 2019, 09:23 AM |#4  
Flag Kottakal
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hello sir i found one battery in aliexpress.com claiming to have 3500 mah capacity which is compatible with nexus 5 blt9 variety. Can i be able to use that extra juice? Does the system detects the extra battery capacity? Is there any modifications like flashing zip or terminal command to be made to make it work? Will it be useful? I'm pasting the link with the reply.i hope I'll get a reply

HSABAT 3500mAh BL-T9 for LG Google Nexus 5 Battery E980 Nexus G D820 D821 Nexus5 Megalodon D8 for LG Nexus 5 Battery
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/tOhxSk9E
29th August 2019, 08:16 AM |#5  

More
Chinese Batteries Explained.
There are 3 Major Common Battery Mislabelers in China:
  1. LOSONCOER
  2. HSABAT
  3. DA DA XIONG

Lets break down what each of them do:

TL;DR: POLARCELL for aftermarket batteries don't trust any of these 3.

HSABAT: Buys and sells lower end OEM batteries. When a company I.e samsung/google/apple or any brand orders a batch of batteries they are tested and the batch is ranked based on the tests. Normally higher end brands only accept the best batches. So the mid tier batches end up being bidded on by battery sellers or other resellers. HSABAT is one of these resellers. Except the batches that are normally bid on are 4-6 so the first 3 are normally bought off by the time HSABAT gets access to these for bids and might not even win the tier 4 and only the tier 6. So the batteries are Mislabeled Batteries none the less. I.e they are much lower capacity then stated but they are made at the same plant the OEM are made at.

Da Da Xiong: These guys buy USED OEM batteries and relabel them as well as joining on the bids for the lower tier batteries against HSABAT. I.e they are mislabeled if you lucky its a used OEM.

LOSONCOER: Same as first 2 but doesn't have as much sales so tends to be even lower end then the other 2. I.e doesn't have the profit needed for major bids. Also goes as far as to tell people that the readings are wrong and not to rip off the labels of the batteries to reveal the OEM logo to avoid unrest and lower reviews.
6th September 2019, 09:37 PM |#6  

More
For people still looking for good batteries and dont live in the EU so PolarCell batteries are quite expensive should check out NOHON. They Ship for much cheaper then polarcell and this is my third battery that is indeed greater then the min of 2220mAh.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)