807 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,063

By mmmmBACON, Senior Member on 10th March 2014, 01:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th March 2014, 02:27 AM |#21  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 385

More
Just bought one of the qi chargers you tested, the first one. Hope it works well. Didn't really know if I wanted one but what the heck

11th March 2014, 03:52 AM |#22  
Flag Milwaukee WI
Thanks Meter: 93

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmBACON

I'd be willing to do that sure, but the Nokia dt900 isn't that cheap here in Canada. It's a minimum 2x - 3x the price, without shipping or taxes added. Way out of my bang for the buck range haha.

Also, the dt900 has a rated output of 750mA. That's 250mA less than all of the 1A output Qi chargers I reviewed above. Of course, I can't do a direct comparison without having a dt900 on hand; but from the rated output and the known efficiency of Qi chargers, the dt900 would most likely charge quite a bit slower.

1A output was pretty much the main point I was mentioning when choosing a Qi charger. Basically as long as you have that, the performance is relatively equal between all Qi chargers.

I would be willing to mail one (free ship both ways) if you could do a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recombinantevil

I haven't seen them for that cheap since AT&T had a sale a few months back. Where are you seeing them for that price?

The ATT sale. Guess it is over now though, didn't realize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matejdro

How does that compare to non-cheap chargers? Are there any charging numbers on those?

Also how safe would be charging N5 constantly with this? I guess there are safety standards in place, but how obedient are those chinese manufacturers?

This is why I have been sticking to name brand. It is what worries me most.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
11th March 2014, 06:21 AM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 1,063

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matejdro

How does that compare to non-cheap chargers? Are there any charging numbers on those?

Also how safe would be charging N5 constantly with this? I guess there are safety standards in place, but how obedient are those chinese manufacturers?

What is your definition of "non-cheap"? Name brand, price premium? If you look on amazon and other places, you will see these exact chargers with a company brand name slapped on it and a $10 - $50 markup. The only difference between those, and these ones is exactly what you would expect, the price and a few cents extra in ink for branding put on it.

If you can look past the fact that these are generic, you will notice that they are the exact ones you will find elsewhere, without the markup. Basically from the same factories before a company slaps their logo onto it.

For example (Amazon):

Lerway Qi charger (same as the first one on my list) http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Wireles...rds=qi+charger $19.49

Lugalake Qi charger (same as the last one on my list) http://www.amazon.com/New-Arrival-Lu...rds=qi+charger $21.99

Powerbot Qi charger (same as the puck) http://www.amazon.com/PowerBot%C2%AE...rds=qi+charger $23.99

These were just the ones at the top of the list when I did a quick search on amazon. They are the exact same Qi chargers, with markups because of branding and retailers.

The charging numbers will be exactly the same as well. If they are 1A output and follow the Qi standard, they will perform the same. That's essentially why it is a standard. That was really the point of this thread. To show that the performance of a 1A output Qi charger, is basically the same no matter what charger you buy. So there is no reason to order a name brand charger, or a more expensive one, because there will be no performance benefit.

Also, I basically charge exclusively using Qi chargers now (except when I'm in the car, I use wired) and I haven't had a single problem. And as for the Chinese manufacturers, you have to realize, everything is made in China. Even the Official Google Wireless Charger is made in China. I don't think you needed to throw in the "obedient" part. There are just as many shady American companies, Korean companies, etc. You can't generalize an entire Country like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokuyuki

I would love if you could test the charging distance of those as I'm trying to integrate a cheap wireless charger into my nightstand and wonder how much wood I can get away with having between the charger and the phone.

Done and done.

It turns out (quite surprising really), by my super scientific testing, that you can fit exactly 81 sheets of lined Hilroy loose leaf paper between the charger and the phone, and it will still charge! Haha! I figured that would be something you could replicate. Since you are probably going to tear it apart anyway, I did it on the cheapest one, which was the first charger on my list.

Squishing them together and roughly measuring it, gave about a 1/4 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball2k

Just bought one of the qi chargers you tested, the first one. Hope it works well. Didn't really know if I wanted one but what the heck

The price of entry isn't very high. It really is a "why not give it a shot" kinda thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordyT

I would be willing to mail one (free ship both ways) if you could do a comparison.

Well if you really want me to, I don't have a problem updating this post and adding in the dt900 for comparison.

But a round trip to Canada and back, I'm not sure if it's really worth it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mmmmBACON For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mmmmBACON Ad-Free
11th March 2014, 09:18 AM |#24  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:

And as for the Chinese manufacturers, you have to realize, everything is made in China. Even the Official Google Wireless Charger is made in China.

Yup, that also includes the majority of Apple's products!

Quote:

It turns out (quite surprising really), by my super scientific testing, that you can fit exactly 81 sheets of lined Hilroy loose leaf paper between the charger and the phone, and it will still charge!

Any drop in the current as you add more sheets of paper?

Also, do you actually use all of the chargers you bought? Which ones do you end up using the most/least?
11th March 2014, 10:23 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Thumbs up Thanks for the review!
Great review. Convinced me to get all extravagant and splash out on the basic Qi charger. I mean, for $11 what could possibly go wrong? Now waiting patiently for delivery....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dicko1975 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dicko1975 Ad-Free
11th March 2014, 12:18 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
They've upped the price to $15.

one named "Hot!!! Black Qi Standard Wireless Charger for Nokia Lumia 920/ Lumia 820/LG Nexus 4//Samsung Note 2 fast delivery" is $12.50.

I'd give a link, but don't have enough posts yet
11th March 2014, 12:56 PM |#27  
Flag Milwaukee WI
Thanks Meter: 93

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well if you really want me to, I don't have a problem updating this post and adding in the dt900 for comparison.

But a round trip to Canada and back, I'm not sure if it's really worth it.

At 71cents each way (supposedly), I think I can do it.

Can you pm me a general address (if you don't want to give yours yet) so I can double check before committing?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
11th March 2014, 02:27 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

Yeah, the puck charger can be a bit picky sometimes, which is what I wasn't the biggest fan of. It might just be the way the casing is that's causing it, who knows.

You can get into the puck charger pretty easily actually. If you peel off the rubber ring on the top, you will expose the screws that hold the housing together.

Thanks, I did try pulling the rubber ring on both the top and bottom, but I don't see any screws or anything.

I will definitely consider some of the other chargers after seeing this review. I originally went with this one because of the small size.
11th March 2014, 02:44 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Great comparison, but I don't suppose you have the time to do another two replicates and a quick 2-tailed unpaired student's t-test (really easy in Excel) to see whether any of these differences between the chargers are statistically significant? Considering how close everything is, it just seems a little arbitrary to rank the time to 100% if it turns out to change from trial to trial. I know it would require a time commitment, but it would definitely give your comparison more authority if the differences are significant.
11th March 2014, 03:46 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Any suggestions on a replacement USB cable? I've heard the AWG is too high on Monoprice Premium cables.
11th March 2014, 04:17 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have the puck with rubber ring and while it holds the phone, its difficult to center 100%. If you don't, it'll constantly flicker between charge on/off...pretty annoying

i have the last one [fat rectangle with LEDs] and while its easiest to center [due to its surface area], it tends to overheat, just like the puck.

Best for price, IMO, is still the Nilkin magic disk but thats 23$
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
budget, charger, nexus, qi charger, wireless

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)