NFC tags - What will you use them for?

353 posts
Thanks Meter: 78

By sohell, Senior Member on 9th November 2013, 06:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th December 2013, 11:10 PM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I bought some a year ago for my Note 2 and amazingly they work just fine with my Nexus 5 and 7 (2013).

Using Tasker, I have one by my front door. I tap it on the way out the door to turn off Wi-Fi, turn on Bluetooth, adjust volumes and then set a lock code. When I get home, tapping it again turns off Bluetooth, removes the lock code, turns on W-Fi and then reconnects to my local LAN.

At the office I have one which on arrival turns Wi-Fi back on, turns off Bluetooth, lowers the various system volumes and double-checks that the lock code is set. When I leave, it undoes all that (to get me back into travel mode for the bus ride home) and then sends a text to my wife to let her know I am on my way home.

Then there is one in my car that, when tapped, turns on GPS and logs a "precise" location into a Tasker variable. I have another Tasker task set up to locate based on the variable value, which helps when I am parking in an unknown location.

Finally, I have a tag on my key chain with my vCard on it. You know, for the one time a year when I don't actually have my phone with me but I do have my keys.

Other than minor tweaks, I pretty much have not touched any of these since I programmed them a year ago. I was going to do things like program the home Wi-Fi key in, but then I realized that pretty much no one but my wife and me have NFC, so I am destined to repeat the password to everyone who comes over to the house.

You know what has been far more productive than all these tags (including the 20 or so I have sitting unused in my desk drawer)? Tasker. God, I couldn't live without that.
6th December 2013, 01:27 AM |#52  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 513

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildave_666

Anyone ever found an app that will start/terminate a VPN connection (using the built-in VPN client stuff) using a tag?
Tasker and everything else I've tried can't seem to manage it.

The Secure Settings Tasker plugin has that functionality. You could set that up and then program a tag to execute the Tasker task using the Trigger Tasker plugin.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nfc, tags

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)