FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Video Review Win A Trip

[Video] Avantree Audition - NFC Headphones (With Nexus 5 demo!)

220 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By crazyguns, Senior Member on 19th March 2014, 05:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Here is my quick review on the new Avantree Audition bluetooth headphones!

Pros:
-Bluetooth 4.0 with NFC
-One tap connect and disconnect!
-42 hours battery life
-Connect via wire when battery's out! Also works with normal 3.5mm devices w/out bluetooth!
-Rich bass and crisp audio!
-Works perfectly with our Nexus 5! Demo in video above, half way through!
-79$ or 49£, budget price and high quality! Can be bought at avantree.com or mobilefun's website!

Cons:
-Bit tight on the fit initially.. Hoping it will loosen up as time goes by
-Noise cancellation and ambient sound blocking is so good, it's scary! I feel like i'm in another world putting these on. Maybe there's an app to listen to ambient sounds and stuff?
-You can't hear yourself too well when on voice call, due to noise cancellation. Be careful, you might be yelling lol!
-No other cons really.. It's a fantastic accessory!

The actual build quality feels solid and not really cheap. It's full matte so fingerprints will happen if you've got greasy fingers. But it's easy to clean and stays neat. The inbuilt mic is fantastic for hangouts video calling, or general voice calls as well. The mic is at a curved outward position, very intelligent design!

I bought this device from avantree when their price was still 69$, lucky me

Any questions, do ask!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazyguns For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crazyguns Ad-Free

19th March 2014, 05:21 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
NFC in this case is a gimmick. once you connect a bluetooth device to your phone its going to connect / disconnect based on whether it's turned on or not, making the NFC connect useless after initial setup.
19th March 2014, 06:52 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northampton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranwrap

NFC in this case is a gimmick. once you connect a bluetooth device to your phone its going to connect / disconnect based on whether it's turned on or not, making the NFC connect useless after initial setup.

You could have a similar argument against wireless chargers saying they're power inefficient, it's better to use a cable... but it's just ease of use and the convenience factor. Doesn't feel gimmicky at all imho, Here's my real world scenario;

I'm headed out, I grab my phone and headphones, just tap and put it on. It's paired instantly. A lot easier than holding down the power button

Without nfc I would have to:
-Power on the headset, wait for it to blink blue to make sure it's ready to connect
-Turn on bluetooth and make sure it's connected

It makes the ease of use about 25% more, hence my inclusion of it as a pro.
19th March 2014, 06:56 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyguns

You could have a similar argument against wireless chargers saying they're power inefficient, it's better to use a cable... but it's just ease of use and the convenience factor. Doesn't feel gimmicky at all imho, Here's my real world scenario;

I'm headed out, I grab my phone and headphones, just tap and put it on. It's paired instantly. A lot easier than holding down the power button

Without nfc I would have to:
-Power on the headset, wait for it to blink blue to make sure it's ready to connect
-Turn on bluetooth and make sure it's connected

It makes the ease of use about 25% more, hence my inclusion of it as a pro.

Nothing like wireless charger you use every day.

Do you mean to tell me the nfc powers on the device automatically? Nfc needs power to function. either way you are turning on the headset which will automatically connect it to any devices it has been set up with by nature of how bluetooth works. Your scenario doesn't make any sense and nfc initializing is nothing more than 1 time gimmick.
20th March 2014, 08:23 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,087

Donate to Me
More
Great review, but I agree the nfc connection is just a gimmick. Bluetooth headsets connect automatically anyways. It saves a few seconds from the initial setup but it's exactly the same afterwards.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
20th March 2014, 11:11 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northampton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranwrap

Nothing like wireless charger you use every day.

Do you mean to tell me the nfc powers on the device automatically? Nfc needs power to function. either way you are turning on the headset which will automatically connect it to any devices it has been set up with by nature of how bluetooth works. Your scenario doesn't make any sense and nfc initializing is nothing more than 1 time gimmick.

Yes but i'm not touching the power button on the device at all. This obviously means it powers on when nfc is connected, I also get a bluetooth toast saying "Connecting to Avantree Audition" which wouldn't happen if it was just turning on bluetooth. You can see this in the video.
1st April 2014, 10:33 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northampton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidguy10

thinking of getting this because of the bluetooth / corded option.

One of your con was "it's a bit tight". I wonder if it's suitable for people wearing glasses.

Also, when did you get your for $69. I'm not in a rush so I can wait until the price drops again.

it was an initial launch price, i ordered it as soon as they announced, next day it was upped..

As for the glasses, I've got glasses too and it's alright, didn't really notice too much of a difference. They do hold the glasses tight so if you've got thick frames it could be a slight issue.

The tightness is now going away. It's slowly becoming more flexible, definitely more comfortable than it was on day one!
15th April 2014, 11:13 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

it was an initial launch price, i ordered it as soon as they announced, next day it was upped..

As for the glasses, I've got glasses too and it's alright, didn't really notice too much of a difference. They do hold the glasses tight so if you've got thick frames it could be a slight issue.

The tightness is now going away. It's slowly becoming more flexible, definitely more comfortable than it was on day one!

Theese are quite interesting: where did you buy them?
16th April 2014, 03:21 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 149

Donate to Me
More
Still listed system $79

http://www.avantree.com/Product-blue...ition_938.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to d11dog11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift d11dog11 Ad-Free
16th April 2014, 07:51 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 163

More
Quote:

Yes but i'm not touching the power button on the device at all. This obviously means it powers on when nfc is connected, I also get a bluetooth toast saying "Connecting to Avantree Audition" which wouldn't happen if it was just turning on bluetooth. You can see this in the video.

You still have to pick it up to put it on, and I assume everyone does it like me where you just tick the power as you pick it up. There is no waiting for anything making it a seemless transition. The only way it could be more convenient is if I left it on my head all the time and it turned on/off based on reading my mind. If anything, this is less convenient if you depend on the NFC since you actually need to be near the phone to use it. I have plenty of times left my phone on the charger, grabbed my earpiece from my pocket, and started using it without having to take my phone off the wireless charger, flip it over, and tap it to it.
17th April 2014, 11:31 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northampton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snives

You still have to pick it up to put it on, and I assume everyone does it like me where you just tick the power as you pick it up. There is no waiting for anything making it a seemless transition. The only way it could be more convenient is if I left it on my head all the time and it turned on/off based on reading my mind. If anything, this is less convenient if you depend on the NFC since you actually need to be near the phone to use it. I have plenty of times left my phone on the charger, grabbed my earpiece from my pocket, and started using it without having to take my phone off the wireless charger, flip it over, and tap it to it.

This doesn't have a "tick the power" mechanism, I dont remember a bluetooth headset that did. Usually you have to press and hold the call/power button for 3 seconds for it to power up and connect to a device, or keep holding it for the device to be in pair mode.. Avoid all of that by just a tap of the phone to the headset in this case.

End of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. I think NFC is a huge advantage in terms of ease of use, and if it seems gimmicky to you then I guess it's not for you.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bass, bluetooth, headphones, nexus 5, nfc

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)