FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FIX] Google Camera HDR+ on Nougat ROMs

45 posts
Thanks Meter: 12
 
Post Reply Email Thread
I am not responsible for exploding devices!! Nothing should go wrong, as this doesn't touch anything super-sensitive, but just in case...

Tested on Pure Nexus w/ Pure Nexus dynamic gapps. This should also work with Open GApps. (And I guess Fake Nexus, though I think the camera works well out-of-the-box on that one...?)

On (most?) current Nexus 5 Nougat ROMs, attempting to take a photo via Google Camera with HDR+ will just take a regular photo. (The included stock camera doesn't even have an HDR+ option!) The "fix" is to downgrade to an older version (2.8) of Google Camera.

Problem is, that's kind of annoying. In addition, the Play Store will keep trying to update it to the newest version unless you re-sign. Not good!

So I made a flashable zip! Just pop it onto your SD card, flash in TWRP, and the proper Google Camera will be installed, signed with a custom key to prevent the Play Store from updating it.

Enjoy!

NOTE: This does not fix the video recording issues, only the HDR+ not working. You still need to use stock camera for videos.

Changelog
  • 11/30/2016 - Fix an extraction failure when the path to the zip has spaces, and fix the progress bar.
  • 11/29/2016 - Fix stupid zip signing mistake.
  • 11/28/2016 - Initial version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip n5_nougat_gcam_fix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (13.64 MB, 5826 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to refi64 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift refi64 Ad-Free
 
 
29th November 2016, 03:29 AM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Going to try it on Nitrogen OS
29th November 2016, 03:50 AM |#3  
Bad_Calzoncillos's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Yeah it's not actually a fix for the non working hdr+, it's just another workaround. But great for the people who need it! I just wouldn't call it fix for Google camera on nougar.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk
29th November 2016, 04:05 AM |#4  
amarendar94's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Error : unable to extract zip (on TWRP 3.0.2)

Tried to install on aosp 7.1 ROM...and I want to add one more thing that Im not able to find google camera in play store on this ROM.

Thanks for the apk in the zip...I was able to install it manually.
29th November 2016, 01:25 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 131
 
More
is this google camera version 4.2?
29th November 2016, 07:49 PM |#6  
refi64's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Calzoncillos

Yeah it's not actually a fix for the non working hdr+, it's just another workaround. But great for the people who need it! I just wouldn't call it fix for Google camera on nougar.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

True. At the same time, a [WORKAROUND] tag isn't allowed, so that's why I used [FIX].
29th November 2016, 07:56 PM |#7  
refi64's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarendar94

Error : unable to extract zip (on TWRP 3.0.2)

Tried to install on aosp 7.1 ROM...and I want to add one more thing that Im not able to find google camera in play store on this ROM.

Thanks for the apk in the zip...I was able to install it manually.

Sorry about that! I just updated the zip file again. I had made a mistake with regards to the way it was signed.

It should work now. If it doesn't, could you hit Copy Log inside the Advanced section of TWRP and then upload
Code:
/sdcard/recovery.log
here?
29th November 2016, 07:56 PM |#8  
refi64's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslam_

is this google camera version 4.2?

No, it's 2.8. 4.2's HDR+ doesn't work on the Nexus 5 Nougat ROMs.
29th November 2016, 09:46 PM |#9  
Mairo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 128
 
More
I uninstalled v4 . then flashed 3.2 and unchecked google camera automatic update from playstore ( right up corner) . why to downgrade to v2.8 if v3.2 also work?
29th November 2016, 09:59 PM |#10  
refi64's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairo

I uninstalled v4 . then flashed 3.2 and unchecked google camera automatic update from playstore ( right up corner) . why to downgrade to v2.8 if v3.2 also work?

Huh...on my device, 3.2 HDR+ still didn't work.

Also, for me, I already have auto-update off, but I usually just like to click "UPDATE ALL" without the camera updating, too.
29th November 2016, 10:39 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 131
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by refi64

Huh...on my device, 3.2 HDR+ still didn't work.

Also, for me, I already have auto-update off, but I usually just like to click "UPDATE ALL" without the camera updating, too.

ROM issue maybe. Im currently using Fake Nexus ROM and 3.2 HDR worked fine.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes