FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Post Reply Email Thread
4.9 was released and Nexus 5 it's support by mainline kernel

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...x-4.9-ARM-Pull
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scafroglia93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scafroglia93 Ad-Free

12th December 2016, 09:06 AM |#2  
Flag Ptuj
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Interesting. This might bring development back to the phone. Also 4.8 and 4.9 have some amazing features and speed improvements.
13th December 2016, 04:32 AM |#3  
Flag Buenos Aires
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Will any dev merge and update our kernel? will this function with our android latest version?
13th December 2016, 12:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 339

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by santi1993

Will any dev merge and update our kernel? will this function with our android latest version?

No, it's probably not even functional in many aspects, there will be a lot of patching/fixing needed to get it to work.
There is already been discussed about his.
13th December 2016, 06:24 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Soliera
Thanks Meter: 534

Donate to Me
More
Yes, it's impossible use 4.9 without patch related to panel, exc exc
15th December 2016, 07:58 AM |#6  
Flag Wrocław
Thanks Meter: 114

Donate to Me
More
So what does exactly the "Nexus 5 support" on this kernel mean if you can't run Android on it without patching? Would it potentially help running Linux distros on our devices or?
15th December 2016, 08:11 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 582

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReduxPL

So what does exactly the "Nexus 5 support" on this kernel mean if you can't run Android on it without patching? Would it potentially help running Linux distros on our devices or?

There is support for the kernel, so yes, you could now run Arch, Debian, OpenWRT, or DD-WRT much more easily.
Android utilizes old libraries that are not compatible with new kernels (that's at least my understanding of the matter), so you would need to patch it to run a newer kernel, and that could only get you so far.
The newest kernel version that anyone had managed to boot Android with is the latest 4.4.x LTS release.
I wonder if someone could backport the necessary changes from 4.9 to the latest 4.4.x release though, that would already be something.
The Following User Says Thank You to moriel5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift moriel5 Ad-Free
15th December 2016, 03:00 PM |#8  
Flag Wrocław
Thanks Meter: 114

Donate to Me
More
Thank you! I really like the concept of running *WRT on Nexus - I wonder how would functionality like network booting work like...
Could the mainline kernel also be used for other non-Android OSs like Ubuntu (Touch) or Sailfish OS?
15th December 2016, 03:43 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReduxPL

Thank you! I really like the concept of running *WRT on Nexus - I wonder how would functionality like network booting work like...
Could the mainline kernel also be used for other non-Android OSs like Ubuntu (Touch) or Sailfish OS?

I don't think so, as they rely on Android bits to work with the bootloader and recovery.
But perhaps there is a chance with the new OS that KDE are cooking, which is supposed to be completely independent of Android.
26th December 2016, 07:17 PM |#10  

More
The 4.10 kernel brings in mainline support for the Nexus 6P and the Nexus 5X.

I wish that mainline support would arrive for the Nexus 4.
28th January 2017, 10:53 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriel5

The newest kernel version that anyone had managed to boot Android with is the latest 4.4.x LTS release.

Update: Apparently Android 6.0.x and up can now utilize kernel 4.9.x.
As there is a build of Android 7.1.x for the x86 platform (I have no idea whether it is an official build of Android-x86, nor do I know the precise Android version, though) with a 4.9.x kernel (again, I have no idea precisely which version).
My source is a newly thread opened in the Remix OS forum, in which the OP asks for the possibility of updating the kernel in Remix OS, and mentions that he/she managed to boot it (only in debug mode, though) with the aforementioned kernel.

The source: https://forum.xda-developers.com/rem...ernel-t3546057
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)