FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Advice needed: Most stable and usable ROM?

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By frankryzzo, Junior Member on 30th September 2019, 05:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Howdy all! I've dug out a couple old Nexus 5's that I stopped using a while back when I got PH-1 and am looking to reflash one of them for a friend who needs a phone and can't afford to buy new. When I was using them last I was running LineageOS 14.1. I'd like to set him up with something stable that he can use as a daily driver for a while and was looking for suggestions. It looks like a ton of ROMs have been updated and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a good current setup that will be easy on the battery and have the most features without compromising stability. Is there a commonly accepted "best" Nexus 5 build? I'm good at following directions, but a lot of the technical stuff is over my head, so trying to research everything I've missed for the last couple years is making my head spin lol. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
1st October 2019, 11:09 AM |#2  
Flag Rockhampton

More
Stable ROM for Nexus 5
Hey,
I have found AOKP to be really good for my Nexus 5. It has the stability of Lineage 14.1, but also has a few nice little additions: OMS support for Substratum, customisable navbar, a few tweaks here and there. And it is still being developed, and receives regular updates.

Not too heavy on the fancy stuff, so for me it's a nice tradeoff between "stock" AOSP/Lineage, and a few little enhancements.

Also the Nexus 5 is officially supported by the developers, which is important to me.

I've tried Android O and Android P ROMs on my Nexus 5, but I still find Nougat ROMs seem to run the best.

I also have a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, and the ROM is also available for that as well. As I have OCD, I "need" both my phone and tablet to run the same system, and AOKP gives me this.

Just my suggestion, anyway. Give it a try, and see what you think.

Cheers
Shaun
2nd October 2019, 01:02 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks! I will check it out
The Following User Says Thank You to frankryzzo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift frankryzzo Ad-Free
2nd October 2019, 07:32 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 167

More
if you like simpler thing i would suggest LOS 14.1 even tho our hammerhead are not supported officially you can use unofficial build by razorloves here https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=3145 or another one here https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...74&postcount=3 they updated it once a month at least with security updates each months

also if you want tor try LOS 14.1 CAF you can try this https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=753
5th October 2019, 12:06 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I also have a Nexus 5 laying around that I mostly use as an extra device to test apps on. However, since my apps usually require working Bluetooth LE and other network related stuff, I have refrained from using Android Oreo and Pie based ROMs since I always read that there's some issues with this or that.

I have stayed with the latest Lineage OS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2) and it has worked pretty well. However, I have now decided to move to something a little bit fresher, but still based on Nougat. I went with the AOKP suggestion made by @shaunoleary since they are still releasing official builds. Unfortunately the AOKP's security patch level is still on February 2019.

If want something with a more up-to-date security patch level you can also try these LineageOS 14.1 builds: https://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...rhead-t3510548 which are supposed to be on September 2019 security patch level.
The Following User Says Thank You to petersaints For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift petersaints Ad-Free
5th October 2019, 01:43 PM |#6  
Flag Rockhampton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersaints

I also have a Nexus 5 laying around that I mostly use as an extra device to test apps on. However, since my apps usually require working Bluetooth LE and other network related stuff, I have refrained from using Android Oreo and Pie based ROMs since I always read that there's some issues with this or that.

I have stayed with the latest Lineage OS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2) and it has worked pretty well. However, I have now decided to move to something a little bit fresher, but still based on Nougat. I went with the AOKP suggestion made by @shaunoleary since they are still releasing official builds. Unfortunately the AOKP's security patch level is still on February 2019.

If want something with a more up-to-date security patch level you can also try these LineageOS 14.1 builds: https://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...rhead-t3510548 which are supposed to be on September 2019 security patch level.

Hey Peter - thanks for the nod

I acknowledge that AOKP's security patch level is a bit dated, but having used LineageOS for a long time, I found some of the features AOKP throws into Lineage, I'm willing to sacrifice that for the extra goodies AOKP offers.

I have decided to stick to Nougat for as long as I can. I tried Oreo and Pie, and had noting but trouble with Bluetooth. It's such a shame when they bring out such a solid, stable release of Android like Nougat, and then stop supporting it because it's not "the latest".

Just as an aside, I have recently been using MicroG (Nanodroid package) instead of GAPPS on my N5 (and my N7 2013 as well), and have found it to be very usable now. Google Pay does not work, but aside from that, I get much better battery life than using GAPPS. In fact, my location accuracy seems to be better, and I've got Play Store working a treat.
13th October 2019, 10:47 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi there, I have the same problem, my N5 stayed on last security patches from the official rom in Feb 2019. Then Lineage ended official support. Did someone try to install the unofficial version (made by razerlove) over the last official build. Would that work? Any hints?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)