FORUMS

Android 5.1.1 LMY48B finally the memory leak is solved!!

902 posts
Thanks Meter: 795

By jlmcr87, Senior Member on 13th March 2015, 09:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
After 8 months google finally fix the memory leak in android lollipop. Thanks Am I dreaming?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jlmcr87 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jlmcr87 Ad-Free
13th March 2015, 11:00 AM |#2  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 219

More
Having the memory load increasing is not, in itself, a memory leak.

The Nexus 5 comes with 2 Gb of RAM, the goal is not to have memory load below 300 mb in every case (or you can buy a 512 mb-RAM smartphone)

The leak is a bug in memory management which increase memory load without any limit, thus slowing the device and crashing it. I did not experience this under 5.1 with Franco and stock kernel.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BorisDeviant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BorisDeviant Ad-Free
13th March 2015, 11:55 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I can confirm that franco kernel does not solve the issue. For me the issue is easily reproduced by opening farm heroes saga and swiping it away, After a couple of times the system ram goes up to 1.4gig
The Following User Says Thank You to jzviagin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jzviagin Ad-Free
13th March 2015, 12:03 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzviagin

I can confirm that franco kernel does not solve the issue. For me the issue is easily reproduced by opening farm heroes saga and swiping it away, After a couple of times the system ram goes up to 1.4gig

This is kind of interesting. I wonder if the system management is to blame or apps themselves.
13th March 2015, 12:35 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1,181

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmcr87

I found a solution. If you change the kernel (for example Franco kernel) all problems are solved.

did you write about this in bug tracker ? if not plz write so they can look where need to change some thing.

and btw to be frank i'm not having any memory leak or any other buy on 5.1 and i feels everything even better than KK also battery life is as good as KK after 5.1 for me

and finally did you do factory reset After flashing factory image ? if not do it , it seems unnecessary to lot of ppl to F.reset after fresh install but it does solve many problem so do it if you didn't and remember it for every time you flash the rom
The Following User Says Thank You to jineshpatel30 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jineshpatel30 Ad-Free
13th March 2015, 01:47 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Issue stared and '+1 confirmed'.

Can someone mark the bug as critical?
13th March 2015, 01:48 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 795

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jineshpatel30

did you write about this in bug tracker ? if not plz write so they can look where need to change some thing.

and btw to be frank i'm not having any memory leak or any other buy on 5.1 and i feels everything even better than KK also battery life is as good as KK after 5.1 for me

and finally did you do factory reset After flashing factory image ? if not do it , it seems unnecessary to lot of ppl to F.reset after fresh install but it does solve many problem so do it if you didn't and remember it for every time you flash the rom

The same problem with franco kernel, bad luck.

To recreate the problem, simply start a game like Farm Heroes Saga, then close it by swiping away. For each time I do this the system memory increases 100mb or more until there is no more space and then cell phone stops responding. Additional I noticed than when I start Farm Heroes Saga for example the free memory on ‘Show Cache Processes’ is negative as can be seen on the print I took, and there is no free memory, this problem can be recreated even in the first minute after boot simply by starting the game.
13th March 2015, 04:34 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
i don t know if is due to the memory leak but after 3 days (fresh factory image flash) i m facing the annoying launcher redraw and high system memory usage:780 mb with 1,2 gb of peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmcr87

The same problem with franco kernel, bad luck.

To recreate the problem, simply start a game like Farm Heroes Saga, then close it by swiping away. For each time I do this the system memory increases 100mb or more until there is no more space and then cell phone stops responding. Additional I noticed than when I start Farm Heroes Saga for example the free memory on ‘Show Cache Processes’ is negative as can be seen on the print I took, and there is no free memory, this problem can be recreated even in the first minute after boot simply by starting the game.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lannyx1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lannyx1 Ad-Free
13th March 2015, 04:37 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I dont want to create a seperate thread so I am asking here. Got Nexus 5 a few days ago, started reading about 5.1 update and memory leak issue. Tried to update to 5.1 but gave up(usb driver issue). Today I noticed that ram usage for apps increases and does not drop down after shutting down apps (games mainly). System ram is constantly about 300-400 but app ram got from 300 to over 600 in about 6 hours. Is this also a memory leak or maybe apps just do not completely shut down?
13th March 2015, 05:37 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Memory going up does not mean there is a memory leak, it means memory no longer in use has not yet been garbage collected which is fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garysargent For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift garysargent Ad-Free
13th March 2015, 06:01 PM |#11  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 164

More
Yes, I wouldn't go purely on what the stats say in Settings > Apps > Running.

I haven't made my mind up yet - memory usage according to that screen is even higher than it was on 5.0.1 yet apps aren't killed anywhere near as often. Of course, it's early days though.

It's been said before, but sadly the new "norm" is now becoming 3GB RAM for high-end devices... and most new versions of Android are going to aimed at running best on the new handsets. I suppose that's to be expected.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)