FORUMS

New battery = amazing new life for my Nexus 5!

91 posts
Thanks Meter: 48

By jgordon00, Member on 20th April 2015, 03:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
(cross posted to Nexus 5 subreddit)

So I've had my N5 since it was first available (ordered it the first day it was on Google Play). Over the last 6 months or so, I've had absolutely atrocious battery life, which I attributed to the upgrade to Android 5. Most recently, the battery life has been so bad that I could be at 98% and after 10 or 15 minutes of playing a game with GPU usage, the phone just shut down. After a reboot, the phone said my battery was at 1%. Then I'd keep the phone off, leave it for 20 or 30 minutes and when I turned it on again, it told me the battery was at 40%. Super strange.

Long story short, I decided that my battery had some real problems. So I took a chance and ordered what looked like an ok battery replacement off of Amazon (link below) as well as some tools from iFixit.com (link below) and decided I was going to try to install a new battery.

Well, it's been about a week since I did the battery replacement (link below to the YouTube video that was helpful) and my phone feels like a brand new device. I get a real, full-day use of the phone now, which for me is having it on and using maps, Gmail, texting, Chrome, Facebook, Play Music, and a few other key apps. Some games here and there. I also obviously have the phone off during the day when I don't need it. Before the battery replacement, my phone could easily be dead with a mix of screen on and off time in 2 hours or less. Now I'm getting 13-14 hours easily. Really amazing.

So I thought this was important enough to share with everyone. If you're in the same boat that I was, you might give this a shot too. Here's everything you need to do what I did:
BATTERY (ships from Chicago, NOT China! this was key!): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LD7S6YQ
iFIXIT TOOLS (if you don't already have these): https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/P...ls/IF145-000-1
YOUTUBE TUTORIAL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlmKLfgUtBQ

Here's some additional info about my setup that may be helpful: ROM: Cataclysm latest stable build (built off 5.1) KERNEL: Elemental X 2.11. Also using Greenify to hibernate unnecessary background apps

Feel free to ask any other questions. I'm really pleased with how things have gone with this new battery (at least for this first week, which I know is not tons of time). For the moment, it feels like I have a brand new phone!
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to jgordon00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jgordon00 Ad-Free
20th April 2015, 06:22 PM |#2  
Flag Madison
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I was just starting to look for a replacement for my N5. This one doesn't get the greatest of reviews. I've wasted $13.50 on worse though. You still recommend it?
21st April 2015, 01:35 AM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex9

I was just starting to look for a replacement for my N5. This one doesn't get the greatest of reviews. I've wasted $13.50 on worse though. You still recommend it?

I do! Granted, I've had this for just about a week so it's not the best assessment of long term performance but the difference between the dead stock battery I had and this new one is night and day. I can go all day with this new one. I could barely go an hour with the old one before it shut off. Worth a shot -- and to your point it's only $13.50.
The Following User Says Thank You to jgordon00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jgordon00 Ad-Free
21st April 2015, 01:52 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Great thread!
But I think my battery still no dead, can get 3.5 hours of SOT with like near to 2 hours gaming, and it can still standby for at most whole days with such usage
Now in stock 5.1 with elementalX kernel
22nd April 2015, 04:37 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
ONLY fresh year battery to buy
I hope for a long battery manufacturing. Unfortunately, the design of batteries is that they are prone to aging. Even if they are in a store, they begin to lose capacitance over time. It is necessary to carefully examine what year battery you want to buy
22nd April 2015, 06:12 PM |#6  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 334

Donate to Me
More
Hmm, also considering replacing my battery...

One day my phone was going haywire and I took it apart (easier than I thought) replugged the battery cord and worked fine after that.

Probably anal but right when I unplugged my phone from the charger just now it went from 100% -> 99% instantly.. dun dun dun! lol I've had my phone since December 2013 so yeah you can tell how long I've had my phone for! haha
22nd April 2015, 07:59 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 485

More
I ordered one from etradesupply that will arrive tomorrow. I hope it has a fairly recent manufacturing date and isn't some extra stock from 2013. I know I am paying more due to shipping but buying batteries on ebay makes me so nervous about fakes and the quality. At least it looks super easy to swap out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Evo_Shift For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Evo_Shift Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 10:13 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Coincidentally, I came to the same conclusion yesterday and ordered a new battery. It appears to be something of a minefield and you can pay between £8 and £30 for what seems to be the same battery!

In the end, I went with a mid-price battery from a reputable seller and hopefully all will be well...quite excited for it to arrive
The Following User Says Thank You to daern For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daern Ad-Free
24th April 2015, 11:00 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 423

More
My new battery just arrived today! I'll get it fitted and update with how it is. I've got some screens of battery life at the moment. Hopefully it improves
The Following User Says Thank You to dan-fish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dan-fish Ad-Free
24th April 2015, 01:06 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,092

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fish

My new battery just arrived today! I'll get it fitted and update with how it is. I've got some screens of battery life at the moment. Hopefully it improves

Where did you order from?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
24th April 2015, 03:06 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 485

More
My etradesupply battery arrived yesterday. It looks exactly like the stock battery and shipped from Texas. Manufacture date is September of 2014... Can't remember the exact date but it for sure september of 2014 which is older than I'd like but we'll see. It was at 47% charge which is about what it should be for storage.

I haven't had a chance to do a full cycle yet. I just charged it to 100% once so far. My screen on time is 2 hours 15 minutes with 34% battery left. I don't do anything special to conserve battery and use automatic brightness set to 50% or whatever stock is. That's a mix of games and browsing.

I am not sure if a new battery has to go through a full cycle to get calibrated or anything like that. I've read laptops should be drained completely once in awhile (not often) to recalibrate something with how the battery life is measured. I feel battery life is better than the battery it replaced so far which is what matters to me. If I can get 3+ hours SOT consistently I'll be happy. I was getting down to around 2 hours SOT on my old battery.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)