FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Dead eMMC ?

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By pat_kylie, Junior Member on 16th November 2019, 07:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Have been using it as a spare for few years,. It was still running well except the battery drained fast. Using custom rom and of course unlocked at the beginning.

This morning, suddenly the phone cannot boot up, "Google" was staying on forever. Tried to boot into fastboot, OK but unable to boot into recovery (using TWRP). It just hanged in the logo of TWRP.

Tried to flash different recovery, it said Flash OK but when I boot into recovery, it was still hanged in the logo (display the same version of TWRP despite I flashed different recoveries into it).

Tried to flash the stock image using "flash-all.bat", came up with this:


finished. total time: 0.500s

rebooting into bootloader...

OKAY \[ 0.101s\]

finished. total time: 0.102s

target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes

sending 'radio' (45409 KB)...

OKAY \[ 1.789s\]

writing 'radio'...

FAILED (remote: flash write failure)

finished. total time: 3.017s

rebooting into bootloader...

OKAY \[ 0.101s\]

finished. total time: 0.103s

extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...

extracting boot.img (8 MB) to disk... took 0.049s

target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'

archive does not contain 'dtbo.img'

archive does not contain 'dt.img'

extracting recovery.img (9 MB) to disk... took 0.049s

archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'

extracting system.img (704 MB) to disk... took 4.352s

archive does not contain 'system.sig'

archive does not contain 'vbmeta.img'

archive does not contain 'vendor.img'

wiping userdata...

CreateProcess failed: ?????????????????€???????????????????€? (740)

error: Cannot generate image for userdata

Press any key to exit...




I was able to boot into recovery and able to get into adb shell using

fastboot recovery recovery.img

It came up everything in /sdcard is gone. (Using ls command)
dmesg show that the phone continue to run but numerous error in I/O.

it took >10mins and finally went into TWRP recovery .
Tried to format / wipe / factory reset but failed (Different error is reading / writing / mounting). TWRP also show that the internal storage size is 0Mb
17th November 2019, 04:03 AM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_kylie

Have been using it as a spare for few years,. It was still running well except the battery drained fast. Using custom rom and of course unlocked at the beginning.

This morning, suddenly the phone cannot boot up, "Google" was staying on forever. Tried to boot into fastboot, OK but unable to boot into recovery (using TWRP). It just hanged in the logo of TWRP.

Tried to flash different recovery, it said Flash OK but when I boot into recovery, it was still hanged in the logo (display the same version of TWRP despite I flashed different recoveries into it).

Tried to flash the stock image using "flash-all.bat", came up with this:


finished. total time: 0.500s

rebooting into bootloader...

OKAY [ 0.101s]

finished. total time: 0.102s

target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes

sending 'radio' (45409 KB)...

OKAY [ 1.789s]

writing 'radio'...

FAILED (remote: flash write failure)

finished. total time: 3.017s

rebooting into bootloader...

OKAY [ 0.101s]

finished. total time: 0.103s

extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...

extracting boot.img (8 MB) to disk... took 0.049s

target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'

archive does not contain 'dtbo.img'

archive does not contain 'dt.img'

extracting recovery.img (9 MB) to disk... took 0.049s

archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'

extracting system.img (704 MB) to disk... took 4.352s

archive does not contain 'system.sig'

archive does not contain 'vbmeta.img'

archive does not contain 'vendor.img'

wiping userdata...

CreateProcess failed: ?????????????????€???????????????????€? (740)

error: Cannot generate image for userdata

Press any key to exit...




I was able to boot into recovery and able to get into adb shell using

fastboot recovery recovery.img

It came up everything in /sdcard is gone. (Using ls command)
dmesg show that the phone continue to run but numerous error in I/O.

it took >10mins and finally went into TWRP recovery .
Tried to format / wipe / factory reset but failed (Different error is reading / writing / mounting). TWRP also show that the internal storage size is 0Mb

This is kind of a long shot but a while ago I had a phone with somewhat similar issues. At first I had no clue what the issue was or how to fix it. But I came across a video that recommended putting a thin piece of cardboard between the eMMC and the frame/screen to apply pressure on the eMMC so that it makes full contact with the board. After doing this the phone booted up normally and worked fine.so as long as your fine with opening the phone up it should be a fairly easy way to fix the phone if it works.
3rd December 2019, 11:55 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnert

This is kind of a long shot but a while ago I had a phone with somewhat similar issues. At first I had no clue what the issue was or how to fix it. But I came across a video that recommended putting a thin piece of cardboard between the eMMC and the frame/screen to apply pressure on the eMMC so that it makes full contact with the board. After doing this the phone booted up normally and worked fine.so as long as your fine with opening the phone up it should be a fairly easy way to fix the phone if it works.

Tried this. Open my Nexus 5 and lifted the metal plate that covers the top pcb. I put layers of electrical taped but it didn't work. I have this "fail to mount /firmware".
4th December 2019, 02:12 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by thogz11

Tried this. Open my Nexus 5 and lifted the metal plate that covers the top pcb. I put layers of electrical taped but it didn't work. I have this "fail to mount /firmware".

Like I said it was kind of a long shot. But I can try and experiment with this a little bit. I have a cousin that has a Nexus 5 with the same problem maybe I can get him to try some things with his and get it working.
Yesterday, 12:41 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnert

This is kind of a long shot but a while ago I had a phone with somewhat similar issues. At first I had no clue what the issue was or how to fix it. But I came across a video that recommended putting a thin piece of cardboard between the eMMC and the frame/screen to apply pressure on the eMMC so that it makes full contact with the board. After doing this the phone booted up normally and worked fine.so as long as your fine with opening the phone up it should be a fairly easy way to fix the phone if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnert

Like I said it was kind of a long shot. But I can try and experiment with this a little bit. I have a cousin that has a Nexus 5 with the same problem maybe I can get him to try some things with his and get it working.

No worries, Sir. Just telling what happened to my side. If you have other solutions, please let us know. Cheers!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes