Goodbye T-Mobile and Sprint. Hello Softbank USA!

Search This thread

BamAlmighty

Feb 16, 2008
I have no problem with this even though my Sero plan will probably be going away as long as Dan Hesse gets canned and John Legere takes control with the TMO way of doing business.

misfit0313

Jan 25, 2010
Merrill, WI
Hope they merge to a all GSM network, instead of a hodgepodge of all the different tech used by Sprint and T-Mo.

Wouldn't the logical and smart name for the company be SprinT-Mobile?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Beauenheim

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
Seriously, what does this mean for us N5 users? With the addition of Sprint Spark, the N5 can connect to literally EVERY band both companies have, 3G, HSPA+, T-Mo LTE, Sprint Band 25/26/41 LTE, etc...Will SoftBank issue new SIMs to utilize both networks? They might consolidate into GSM, but Sprint Spark is significantly more advanced then HSPA+/T-Mo LTE, and I think that they'd want to utilize that...Either way, should be interesting...

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Seriously, what does this mean for us N5 users? With the addition of Sprint Spark, the N5 can connect to literally EVERY band both companies have, 3G, HSPA+, T-Mo LTE, Sprint Band 25/26/41 LTE, etc...Will SoftBank issue new SIMs to utilize both networks? They might consolidate into GSM, but Sprint Spark is significantly more advanced then HSPA+/T-Mo LTE, and I think that they'd want to utilize that...Either way, should be interesting...

T-Mobile also has 20x20 LTE which is pretty fast. They're most likely going to go to VoLTE route.

Reactions: Koopa777

steviejake

Jul 20, 2008
Lincoln, ca
May the Mobile Data Gods be with us!

If you don't see a downside to this, you have never been on Sprint (lucky you). The absolute worst network has been hemorrhaging customers for quite a while for a reason, me as one of them. I am glad to see the rumor mill is for T-Mobile CEO to take the lead job, but I see great potential for my wonderful T-Mobile to be harmed mightily. Lets hope for the best

StevieJ

Last edited:

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
If you don't see a downside to this, you have never been on Sprint (lucky you). The absolute worst network has been hemorrhaging customers for quite a while for a reason, me as one of them. I am glad to see the rumor mill is for T-Mobile CEO to take the lead job, but I see great potential for my wonderful T-Mobile to be harmed mightily. Lets hope for the best

StevieJ

Speak for yourself. T-Mobile has 2G coverage in my town. Sprint(which I'm on) has 3G, and in the city next to me, Sprint has blanketed LTE, while T-Mobile has spotty HSPA and barely any LTE. In the sticks, Sprint is almost always better than T-Mobile, hell AT&T has more deadspots around my area than Sprint...

TheAtheistOtaku

Oct 18, 2011
Buffalo
I'll be ok with the merger, as long as its like T-mobile taking sprint over, and not the other way around. Get rid of all sprint higher ups, and keep t-mobiles, because obviously the current t-mobile is much more capable then sprint has ever been since the sprint/nextel merger.

And i better get to keep my $30 100 min, unlim text 5gig data plan.

babymatteo

Aug 30, 2011
SoCal
As long as they keep unlimited data and the UP phone upgrade program, I'm all for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

EvanA

Nov 15, 2012
thelinuxman.us
Hope they merge to a all GSM network, instead of a hodgepodge of all the different tech used by Sprint and T-Mo.

The most likely course of action is that the networks will remain as is and the combined company will transition to all LTE and eventually shut off the CDMA/GSM/UMTS networks completely.

david279

Sep 4, 2007
New Orleans
Considering they will most likely have 800, PCS, AWS and the spark band; they could take one of those bands and use a third for voLTE.

G

GuestD0701

Speak for yourself. T-Mobile has 2G coverage in my town. Sprint(which I'm on) has 3G, and in the city next to me, Sprint has blanketed LTE, while T-Mobile has spotty HSPA and barely any LTE. In the sticks, Sprint is almost always better than T-Mobile, hell AT&T has more deadspots around my area than Sprint...

Where I'm located (Houston Tx) T-Mobile sucks. I work w/ some guys who have great flagship devices and they have Tmo and are always getting dropped calls and data is spotty as all get out.

I'm in Biloxi Mississippi now and I have LTE about 70% of the time on Sprint. I have it 90% of the time in Houston and have for a while now. They have come a looooooooooong way. Guess it just depends on where you are located.
I hope the deal goes through. [emoji41]

Sent from my Nexus 5

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
If this is seriously the final verdict of the merger...I have to say I'm terrified and excited all at the same time. Sprint is right next to Verizon with me..and I hate both of them, no opinion of AT&T though.

But I'm excited because as long as Legere is still CEO I don't think us original T-Mobile clients have to worry too much (been with T-Mobile since 1999)..and hopefully we end up on a grandfathered plan so we don't lose features or have an insane price hike... Because the most important thing to me on my plan is unlimited data.

Edit : this makes sense now and it goes along with Uncarrier 5.0... Legere wanted to increase revenue...so he got did away with 15% discounts with programs like Triple A (AAA) and made it so only government and military workers are the only ones capable of getting a discount)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

T-Mobile also has 20x20 LTE which is pretty fast. They're most likely going to go to VoLTE route.
    in the end i dont really see a down side to any of this. just really hope they dont do away with unlimited data.
    I've never seen a telecom merger go well for customers.