FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to disable OTA lollipop without wakelock

490 posts
Thanks Meter: 168

By Vlad_z, Senior Member on 25th November 2014, 02:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you decided to stick a bit longer with KK and lollipop OTA notification is bothering you - this is how you can disable it without wakelocking your phone.

Get something which disable service receivers/listeners (not just service like Disable Service app does). If you disable SystemUpdate service - this will wakelock your phone - thanks to Google wonderful design, which become "better and better".

But instead you disable 3 receivers for that service:

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ Receiver - this will run on boot completed.

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ ActiveReceiver - this will check for OTA on connectivity change.

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ SecretCodeReceiver - this will check for OTA when your phone "handles" the secret code.

So, by doing this, SystemUpdateService will never have a chance to get OTA and you phone will still sleep like a baby.

Now, what apps will allow to disable receivers? Well, I compiled my own Autostarts. It's old but still job can be done.

You can find something in play store or I can upload my autostarts if you want me to.

Anyway, in summary do not disable GooglePlayServices.SystemUpdate service just its 3 receivers.

EDIT: Here, this is autostarts I've compiled long time ago but still can be run on KK and of cause ads free. Well, you have to "hunt down" those 3 receivers. Just open up one by one and read if this is one of those 3 and then disable it.
Attached Files
File Type: apk autostarts.apk - [Click for QR Code] (245.9 KB, 6250 views)
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Vlad_z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Vlad_z Ad-Free

26th November 2014, 09:41 PM |#2  
Flag Durham, NC
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_z

If you decided to stick a bit longer with KK and lollipop OTA notification is bothering you - this is how you can disable it without wakelocking your phone.

Get something which disable service receivers/listeners (not just service like Disable Service app does). If you disable SystemUpdate service - this will wakelock your phone - thanks to Google wonderful design, which become "better and better".

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ Receiver - this will run on boot competed.

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ ActiveReceiver - this will check for OTA on connectivity change.

com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ SecretCodeReceiver - this will check for OTA when your phone "handles" the secret code.

So, by doing this, SystemUpdateService will never have a chance to get OTA and you phone will still sleep like a baby.

Now, what apps will allow to disable receivers? Well, I compiled my own Autostarts. It's old but still job can be done.

You can find something in play store or I can upload my autostarts if you want me to.

Anyway, in summary do not disable GooglePlayServices.SystemUpdate service just its 3 receivers.

I'd be interested in you uploading your compiled copy.
27th November 2014, 12:11 AM |#3  
Flag Portland
Thanks Meter: 2,783

More
Thanks OP! I just used Autostarts and hunted for those 3 receivers. Now we wait and see if it worked.
27th November 2014, 01:30 AM |#4  
Flag Portland

More
It looks like it worked! I've rebooted 3 times since doing it and still no notification. Thanks again OP.
27th November 2014, 02:34 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_z

I would like to receive your Autostarts.

I found several autostart apps on Play. Which is the one to install and use?
27th November 2014, 02:42 AM |#6  
Flag Portland

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson2

I would like to receive your Autostarts.

I found several autostart apps on Play. Which is the one to install and use?

This is the one that I used, been using it for years. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.autostarts
27th November 2014, 03:04 AM |#7  

More
Any free ones? I'm just planning to use it for one thing: the ota notification.
27th November 2014, 03:48 AM |#8  
Flag Portland

More
Quote:

ROM Toolbox Lite
The Following User Says Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _MetalHead_ Ad-Free
27th November 2014, 05:09 AM |#9  

More
Thank you very much. Worked perfectly.

Hope ota notice doesn't return.
27th November 2014, 12:30 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:

Autostarts is free in F-Droid. And the method works perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to skibbi_pl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skibbi_pl Ad-Free
27th November 2014, 05:39 PM |#11  

More
Thanks. I used RomToolbox lite which I already had. As you say, it's been perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anderson2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Anderson2 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)