The following repair guide will help you replace a Google Nexus 5 LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer or other internal components.
You will need the follow tools to perform this Nexus 5 repair.
- Small Phillips Screwdriver
- Safe Open Pry Tool
How to Fix a Google Nexus 5 (Step-by-Step Guide)
- Make sure to turn off the device and remove the sim and sd card. Always do this before performing a repair.
- Figures 1.1 and 1.2: Take your pry tool and remove the back cover. Start on the bottom right to get started and pry the back cover off.
- Figure 2.1: In the figure below you will see 10 Small Phillips screws circled in RED. Use your phillips screw driver to remove the screws. After you have removed them place them in a safe spot, Maybe a bowl or bag so you are not to lose theses screws.
- Figures 3.1 and 3.2: Use your pry tool to lift up the back housing from the phone. There is two back covers. The top one can be removed by starting at the audio jack. For the bottom start right at the middle of the bottom of the phone. This will allow yourself to remove the back covers without breaking a cable.
- Once your back covers are removed you will then need to remove the Five (5) flex cables from their pop connections. You can see these highlighted in yellow below. When removing them from their connection, take your safe pry tool to pop them up. If you find that its hard or not coming up. Do not force it to come up. Take a sec and see why. Maybe there is tape in the way. A phone is a puzzle find the right spots for each part.
- You will have two antenna cables shown in red. Use your pry tool to release theses from their socket. Using your pry tool you will notice that the antenna cables are in place tightly. This is to allow for great connection to allow you to get data or wifi. When you are removing them go from the edge of the cable and not under the cable connection.
- Figure 5.1 Will show you how to lift the top motherboard out. Take your pry tool and go from top. Wedge your tool in the top as you pry back the motherboard. You will notice how the motherboard can slide out when you start to pry it. Be mindful of the flex cables around the board. You do not want to rip or pull one of theses cables out.
- Figure 5.2 You will now be removing the dock port flex assembly. Take your time as not to rip the cables. Take your pry tool and slide it from the bottom around the flex. You will see that once it starts to come up, it goes easy from there.
- Figure 5.3 Now you can remove the battery with ease. There is a small amount of adhesive holding the battery in place. Use your pry tool and wedge it in the bottom of the battery. As you pry back you will feel the battery give way so it can be removed.
- Figure 5.4 Take your pry tool as release the back facing camera with your pry tool. Do not rip the flex cable out. You will need to take your time as the adhesive is strong here.
You have now taken apart your Google Nexus 5 and are able to install your replacement screen or other parts as necessary.
Notice: This repair guide is for learning purposes only and you should perform this repair at your own risk.