FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to Fix a Google Nexus 5 | Screen Replacement Repair Guide

624 posts
Thanks Meter: 785

Post Reply Email Thread
This LG Google Nexus 5 Repair Guide will show you the best method on how to safely tear down your Nexus 5 for a repair. This Nexus 5 disassembly tutorial will teach you how to replace the LCD & Touch Screen Digitizer or other internal parts. Each picture you see below will walk you through each step to safely take apart your Nexus 5 and install your replacement parts. Don`t over jump or guess on anything you are repairing. If you have any questions please post them below. So lets get started.

The following repair guide will help you replace a Google Nexus 5 LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer or other internal components.

You will need the follow tools to perform this Nexus 5 repair.
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Safe Open Pry Tool

How to Fix a Google Nexus 5 (Step-by-Step Guide)

• Make sure to turn off the device and remove the sim and sd card. Always do this before performing a repair.
  • Figures 1.1 and 1.2: Take your pry tool and remove the back cover. Start on the bottom right to get started and pry the back cover off.

• Figure 2.1: In the figure below you will see 10 Small Phillips screws circled in RED. Use your phillips screw driver to remove the screws. After you have removed them place them in a safe spot, Maybe a bowl or bag so you are not to lose theses screws.
  • Figures 3.1 and 3.2: Use your pry tool to lift up the back housing from the phone. There is two back covers. The top one can be removed by starting at the audio jack. For the bottom start right at the middle of the bottom of the phone. This will allow yourself to remove the back covers without breaking a cable.
  • Once your back covers are removed you will then need to remove the Five (5) flex cables from their pop connections. You can see these highlighted in yellow below. When removing them from their connection, take your safe pry tool to pop them up. If you find that its hard or not coming up. Do not force it to come up. Take a sec and see why. Maybe there is tape in the way. A phone is a puzzle find the right spots for each part.
  • You will have two antenna cables shown in red. Use your pry tool to release theses from their socket. Using your pry tool you will notice that the antenna cables are in place tightly. This is to allow for great connection to allow you to get data or wifi. When you are removing them go from the edge of the cable and not under the cable connection.
  • Figure 5.1 Will show you how to lift the top motherboard out. Take your pry tool and go from top. Wedge your tool in the top as you pry back the motherboard. You will notice how the motherboard can slide out when you start to pry it. Be mindful of the flex cables around the board. You do not want to rip or pull one of theses cables out.
  • Figure 5.2 You will now be removing the dock port flex assembly. Take your time as not to rip the cables. Take your pry tool and slide it from the bottom around the flex. You will see that once it starts to come up, it goes easy from there.
  • Figure 5.3 Now you can remove the battery with ease. There is a small amount of adhesive holding the battery in place. Use your pry tool and wedge it in the bottom of the battery. As you pry back you will feel the battery give way so it can be removed.
  • Figure 5.4 Take your pry tool as release the back facing camera with your pry tool. Do not rip the flex cable out. You will need to take your time as the adhesive is strong here.

[*]

You have now taken apart your Google Nexus 5 and are able to install your replacement screen or other parts as necessary.

Notice: This repair guide is for learning purposes only and you should perform this repair at your own risk.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift repairsuniverse Ad-Free

25th November 2013, 08:03 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I'd suggest iFixit for high quality photos of the teardown process. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+5+Teardown/19016
The Following User Says Thank You to Shamingo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shamingo Ad-Free
25th November 2013, 08:25 PM |#3  
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I tried taking my back cover off to fix the loose power button, but i could not get one of the clips to come undone. It's the one right below the volume rocker and no matter what i tried i couldn't get it. I actually dented the plastic side and cover trying to pry it off. Nobody else seems to have this problem, is there some special trick to get that one undone? All the other clips came out no problem. It's really bugging me
25th November 2013, 10:24 PM |#4  
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 460

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky_Monkey

I tried taking my back cover off to fix the loose power button, but i could not get one of the clips to come undone. It's the one right below the volume rocker and no matter what i tried i couldn't get it. I actually dented the plastic side and cover trying to pry it off. Nobody else seems to have this problem, is there some special trick to get that one undone? All the other clips came out no problem. It's really bugging me

Same issue w/mine. Hmm...
26th November 2013, 01:12 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky_Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwongger

Same issue w/mine. Hmm...

Sorry you guys haven some problems. What are you using to pry the back cover off?
26th November 2013, 01:24 AM |#6  
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I tried using multiple safe open pry tools and the guitar pick thing. Nothing worked, it just won't release. Even tried pushing inwards on the clip with no luck
26th November 2013, 02:59 AM |#7  
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 460

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsuniverse

Sorry you guys haven some problems. What are you using to pry the back cover off?

I have used 3 different case opening tools. Small, medium-ish, and a Pick type one. All to no avail.
26th November 2013, 05:05 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 531

More
The leaked service manual indicates to remove the SIM tray, and use that as your starting point, moving UP and around the corner, then over the top, around the other corner, down the opposing side, around the bottom corners, and finishing at back at the SIM tray opening.
26th November 2013, 05:07 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwongger

I have used 3 different case opening tools. Small, medium-ish, and a Pick type one. All to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideasleep1

The leaked service manual indicates to remove the SIM tray, and use that as your starting point, moving UP and around the corner, then over the top, around the other corner, down the opposing side, around the bottom corners, and finishing at back at the SIM tray opening.

Kwongger, Can you upload a picture of the tool(s) you are using to open the back cover?

Wideasleep , You can do this. Just be mindful as you can damage the sim tray.
26th November 2013, 05:54 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 531

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsuniverse

Wideasleep , You can do this. Just be mindful as you can damage the sim tray.

That advice applies regardless. There is a reason LG suggests this method in its service manual ( I assume a 'soft point' of attachment) and I reported it in hopes of helping those having difficulty in the volume button area. LG says approach from the top.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
26th November 2013, 06:45 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 102

More
great guide

I broke my last note n7000 screen twice..
i hope i am not with my new nex 5... or will fix it by self.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google nexus 5, nexus 5 parts, nexus 5 repair, nexus 5 repair guide, nexus 5 screen replacement

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)