Nexus 5 camera has magnet ring built-in, for add-on lenses

12,424 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,885

By Dirk, Senior Member on 8th November 2013, 04:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th November 2013, 11:27 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Whoa sick.. Lenses for a smart phone. Starting to think the switch to the Goog phone was a great idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
1st December 2013, 12:17 AM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Cool maybe it will work with my magnetic macro lens.
1st December 2013, 01:41 AM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
First the nikon insane camera that's "also a phone" and now this? hmm. very interesting indeed.
1st December 2013, 03:17 AM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sromer

I bought all the photojojo lenses.

The macro/wide angle works, although it only just sticks to the phone, and the magnets on the Fisheye and telephotos lenses don't stick to it at all. (the magnets actually push away from the phone, not sure why they're not all the same)

This is disheartening as I just placed my order. Is the best solution to adhere the provided metal ring to the lens rather than the phone?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
1st December 2013, 07:23 AM |#45  
I'll be damned. That's pretty cool.

And congrats on the new phone, Dirk. Haven't seen you in a while old bud. Waiting for mine to ship to me right now thanks to early Christmas from my gf.
1st December 2013, 08:52 AM |#46  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogboot

This is disheartening as I just placed my order. Is the best solution to adhere the provided metal ring to the lens rather than the phone?

I haven't had any luck with the provided metal rings, maybe you'll have better luck than me though.
The Following User Says Thank You to sromer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sromer Ad-Free
1st December 2013, 09:15 AM |#47  

More
Quote:

I haven't had any luck with the provided metal rings, maybe you'll have better luck than me though.

Thanks for the reply. Photojojo reps have been active in other social channels saying it works well on the N5 so we'll see.

2nd December 2013, 01:59 AM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
I don't see an issue using the rings. Or is nice they stick to the phone without having to put those rings on first.. I did barely barely notice a divergence while its focusing but it's not negatively affecting the outcome of the pictures at all... Not sure about the guys whose won't stay on, mine ate magnetized together not pushing apart..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
2nd December 2013, 08:25 AM |#49  
Flag Dunmore
Thanks Meter: 188

More
I just got some from eBay the other day. I put them on and they worked fine, then after a couple minutes my camera would start making a weird noise! Like something was rattling inside? It would stop when I took the lens off! Anybody have a similar experience? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
4th December 2013, 09:07 PM |#50  

More
Quote:

I bought all the photojojo lenses.

The macro/wide angle works, although it only just sticks to the phone, and the magnets on the Fisheye and telephotos lenses don't stick to it at all. (the magnets actually push away from the phone, not sure why they're not all the same)

Welp. Mine came in from Photojojo and my experience is similar. Almost all of mine repel except for the polarizing lens which also makes the camera difficult or impossible to focus.

I am letting the metal ring set on mine right now. On that subject, I would love for it to be half a mm slimmer. I know that sounds like tiny amounts but we are talking about a small device. With all my lenses I have a few options on metal rings but they all have the same outer radius. It almost seems too close to the edge of the glass on the phone lens where it meets the metal housing. We'll see.

Update:
I'm having trouble getting the metal ring to stay on the glass. As previously noted, the ring is almost the identical size of the metal bezel surrounding the camera glass and I don't think it's making very good contact. I pressed as much as I felt comfortable for the allotted minute and let it sit for over half an hour before I tried the lenses. Eventually when swapping the lenses it ends up pulling the ring off.
Additionally, I put the photojojo lenses back to back and they all repel each other except for my polarizing lens which is attracted to all of them. So, the lenses are definitely all not the same polarity from Photojojo unless there is an issue with the ones I received.
5th December 2013, 11:15 PM |#51  
Flag Honduras
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Has anybody bought this? I was looking at photojojo lenses for Android and there`s one that says "4-in-1 kit", but I am not sure if this means one lens that has 4 functions or is it 4 different lenses. I am not a photo-geek, I am trying to get this for my sister as a xmas present so sorry if it is a dumb question .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)