FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 5 expanded to 3 GB of RAM!

216 posts
Thanks Meter: 87

By ilciumbia, Senior Member on 30th March 2019, 12:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys,

I have been thinking about it for quite some time, then I decided to go for it, buy a 24Gb LPDDR3 memory chip from Aliexpress and attempt a replacement to my spare Nexus 5. Well, believe it or not, it worked!!! Now my N5 has 3 GB of RAM, and the difference, with my 242 apps installed, is very evident! It has been hard work, not easy at all, but if there is anyone who has the necessary skill/equipment and is wondering if it can be done, well, the answer is YES!

The memory chip I purchased is the K3QF7F70DM-QGCF, found at the following link:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-...AbTest=ae803_5

Replacement requires removing the ePOP memory from the top of the Snapdragon chip, then cleaning carefully the BGA land pads from any resin/glue residue, then re-soldering the new chip. I am not going into details (unless requested) because those who know about BGA reworking know what it is all about and those who don't... Well, don't try it! Anyway, I am available to provide any further explanation.

Regards!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190330-004242.png
Views:	2480
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	4733392  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ilciumbia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ilciumbia Ad-Free

30th March 2019, 04:46 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hello, can you show in more detail and with screenshots where you soldered the memory. how long did it take you
30th March 2019, 11:08 PM |#3  
Editor in Chief
Thanks Meter: 1,827

More
Did you take any pictures through the process?
31st March 2019, 01:54 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Arese

More
Hi guys,

unfortunately I have not taken any pictures, because I had not the slightest confidence in the outcome! However, I can summarize the process with pictures found online:

1- the memory chip (which is on top of the processor) is the one with the red dot on it; you must also remove the metal shield around it, which is fitted with just clips, so a small screwdriver and some care is enough to remove it;
2. you must heat up the chip with a hot air rework station; I also recommend to cover the rest of the board with kapton tape (or, at worst, with some aluminium foil);
3- use a thermocouple if possible; if you don't have it, monitor carefully the melting of the memory chip. Keep in mind you have to remove the memory only, not the entire chip (but the memory chip, being on top, is the first thing to come off);
4- using a needle or a thin razor blade, gently leverage one corner of the chip until you feel it softening and finally coming off;
5- after removing it, you must very carefully clean the pads from any glue left on them (yes, the memory is also glued!). The pads are not too delicate, however exert maximum care, you do not want to rip any of them off; I personally used the scalpel tip of my soldering iron to clean and level the pads;
6- use isopropyl alcohol, acetone and some sandpaper or a pencil rubber to clean the pads from any dirt and oxidation; you must end with some very clean pads, as in the picture (of course pads will not be gold but silver);
7- spread some gel flux on the pads and place the new chip on them, carefully aligning it with the processor underneath (careful about pin 1!);
8- heat up the chip again with the hot air gun; look at it from the side, until you see the balls melting and the whole chip settling down in the correct position;
9- remove hot air and let it cool nice and slow;
10- enjoy!

Please note that the process is extremely risky and complex; if you need to read the above steps, probably you should not attempt it; but if you succeed, results are worth the effort! The whole process took about 1-1.5 hours (I do not know exactly).

Next step will be to upgrade storage space (someone has already done it, if I remember correctly)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motherboard1.jpg
Views:	1458
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	4733982   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-shield_removed.jpg
Views:	1476
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	4733983   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-MSM8974.jpg
Views:	1442
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	4733990  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilciumbia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ilciumbia Ad-Free
31st March 2019, 03:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
If only i had rework station. I have broken display connector. 8 or 9 pins came off. I need to solder them and i do not have equipment. What is the cheapest hot air rework station i can get?
2nd April 2019, 04:53 PM |#6  
Flag Santo Domingo
Thanks Meter: 26

Donate to Me
More
make youtube video, you will be a legend, really, my phone was stolen while leaving work, xiaomi mi6 6gb ram (powerful) and unfortunately I had to buy a lg g2, do you think you can add more ram to g6 ?, I'm very used to the speed of my once loved mi6: /, do the process please, it would be great!
2nd April 2019, 07:14 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Arese

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matusala

If only i had rework station. I have broken display connector. 8 or 9 pins came off. I need to solder them and i do not have equipment. What is the cheapest hot air rework station i can get?

I do not recommend hot air on that connector. It is very prone to desoldering, but your best bet would be a very thin soldering tip, like the Weller LT1S, for example.

As for a cheap hot air reworl station, this is a pretty standard one:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/220V-...AbTest=ae803_5

or even cheaper:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/High-...AbTest=ae803_5

you will have to build your own stand, because it is impractical to hold it in your hand (you will need both at a certain point!). I attached it to a desktop spring loaded lamp, "Pixar style" to be clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to ilciumbia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ilciumbia Ad-Free
2nd April 2019, 07:16 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Arese

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm_mixtoon

make youtube video, you will be a legend, really, my phone was stolen while leaving work, xiaomi mi6 6gb ram (powerful) and unfortunately I had to buy a lg g2, do you think you can add more ram to g6 ?, I'm very used to the speed of my once loved mi6: /, do the process please, it would be great!

I have ordered a new 4 GB memory chip, this time I will make a video when I attempt the mod!

can you please clarify to which device you would like to add RAM?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilciumbia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ilciumbia Ad-Free
29th April 2019, 07:44 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
how about geekbench result?
1st May 2019, 08:53 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Arese

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyGundam

how about geekbench result?

Hope this works:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12973897

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/3984170
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilciumbia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ilciumbia Ad-Free
15th May 2019, 10:31 PM |#11  
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilciumbia

I have ordered a new 4 GB memory chip, this time I will make a video when I attempt the mod!

can you please clarify to which device you would like to add RAM?

Amazing! Waiting for that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Prime∮YuKrai℉ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Prime∮YuKrai℉ Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
3gb, expand, ram

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)