The sad day has come.

Search This thread

dwasifar

Apr 16, 2013
Well, I knew this day would come. After almost four years with our trusty Nexus 5 phones, the hardware has begun to get flaky. My wife's phone's charging port is a little unreliable now, and the dreaded power switch problem is starting to appear; and my phone's headphone jack has become occasionally intermittent. I had to rotate the spare into service. I could fix these things, probably, swapping parts from the spare or another old parts phone, but when failures start to happen they're not going to stop happening. They've had long service and are just wearing out.

Plus which, although this phone has had one of the most vibrant and active developer communities I've ever seen, interest in it is starting to fall off. A lot of good ROMs have been abandoned or handed off to other maintainers as the original devs move on to sexier, more modern hardware. It was good that we got so much Nougat, but I don't think we'll ever see as much Oreo.

So this week I bit the bullet and bought a pair of unlocked LG G6 US997 phones. I had them bootloader-unlocked and rooted within an hour of coming out of their boxes. Very nice phone with a dedicated developer community just beginning to emerge. I was really impressed with LG's durability on the N5, and I expect the G6 to be equally reliable over time. There are a lot of nice new features and a lot of technological improvements... but I have to say I think I will always be a little nostalgic for the Nexus 5. And who knows, maybe my wife will wind up using hers again. I know she'll break the G6 eventually.

To the Nexus 5 community: you guys have been and are an amazing bunch. This community epitomizes what open source can be on its best day. I hope I see even half of this kind of community develop for the G6.

Thanks, and best wishes to all.

ilyassnexus

Nov 3, 2013
You will actually find out that the g6 becomes laggier than the good old nexus 5 ! And the wide angle boner will wear off very quickly

cindylike24

Sep 26, 2008
Vincennes, IN
Well, I knew this day would come. After almost four years with our trusty Nexus 5 phones, the hardware has begun to get flaky. My wife's phone's charging port is a little unreliable now, and the dreaded power switch problem is starting to appear; and my phone's headphone jack has become occasionally intermittent. I had to rotate the spare into service. I could fix these things, probably, swapping parts from the spare or another old parts phone, but when failures start to happen they're not going to stop happening. They've had long service and are just wearing out.

Plus which, although this phone has had one of the most vibrant and active developer communities I've ever seen, interest in it is starting to fall off. A lot of good ROMs have been abandoned or handed off to other maintainers as the original devs move on to sexier, more modern hardware. It was good that we got so much Nougat, but I don't think we'll ever see as much Oreo.

So this week I bit the bullet and bought a pair of unlocked LG G6 US997 phones. I had them bootloader-unlocked and rooted within an hour of coming out of their boxes. Very nice phone with a dedicated developer community just beginning to emerge. I was really impressed with LG's durability on the N5, and I expect the G6 to be equally reliable over time. There are a lot of nice new features and a lot of technological improvements... but I have to say I think I will always be a little nostalgic for the Nexus 5. And who knows, maybe my wife will wind up using hers again. I know she'll break the G6 eventually.

To the Nexus 5 community: you guys have been and are an amazing bunch. This community epitomizes what open source can be on its best day. I hope I see even half of this kind of community develop for the G6.

Good luck with your LG G6. I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S8 a few months ago and absolutely love it. I upgraded a few months ago for a lot of the same reasons that you state here. The S8 has also has a very good developer community there too.

You will actually find out that the g6 becomes laggier than the good old nexus 5 ! And the wide angle boner will wear off very quickly
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I had used my S8 for a few months and went back to my Nexus 5 because I was missing being able to tinker around with my phone. Well it became abundantly clear to me that I realized why I had upgraded to the S8 in the first place. The Nexus 5 had become much slower and didn't run as smoothly as my S8. Needless to say, that little experiment lasted only two days. Went back to my S8 and not looking back now.

I did a factory reset on the phone and sold it on e-bay so that someone else can have the Nexus 5 experience.

Cindy

dadix4ef

Jan 3, 2015
I love my Nexus 5. It runs anroid 7.1.2 very smooth and I think will work perfect with Android Oreo .

SonicGold

Jun 10, 2016
Xiaomi 12
These are parts that often fail over time (somewhat "mechanical", so not really a surprise here). You could replace these parts, pretty easily and with little extra cost. You also seem to have the knowledge to do so, so it shouldn't stop you.
As far as I know, I couldn't really live with the fact that I just bought a new device knowing the previous one worked almost perfectly, I find it really irresponsible from an environmental perspective, especially now, in 2017.

But I understand the desire for new, faster, bigger battery (which is almost a flaw on N5), so enjoy your new device anyway.

Janfri

Apr 11, 2016
I love my Nexus 5. It runs anroid 7.1.2 very smooth and I think will work perfect with Android Oreo .
So do I and for that reason, yesterday I spent 90 Euros on a Nexus 5 with 32GB for my wife, so she finally had to retire her good old Huawei G510, which she still loves so much. I'm quite sure the Nexus 5 will be more than enough for our needs for at least another two or three years, and 2020 will be a good year for buying a used Galaxy S8 for another 130 Euros.

cheeze.keyk

Aug 8, 2012
Mandaluyong
Google Nexus 5
LG G7 ThinQ
These are parts that often fail over time (somewhat "mechanical", so not really a surprise here). You could replace these parts, pretty easily and with little extra cost. You also seem to have the knowledge to do so, so it shouldn't stop you.
As far as I know, I couldn't really live with the fact that I just bought a new device knowing the previous one worked almost perfectly, I find it really irresponsible from an environmental perspective, especially now, in 2017.

But I understand the desire for new, faster, bigger battery (which is almost a flaw on N5), so enjoy your new device anyway.

you are right. I already replaced my N5's LCD Flex, LCD Panel and the Battery. And now it's still rocking good as my back up phone.. It has better GPS reception than my LG G5.

I just couldn't let go of this device. Battery and Camera is really the downside of this device. :laugh:

Ko_Ka

Oct 30, 2011
Dublin
Big thanks to all the Devs in here over the last few years, your work is completely appreciated and after nearly 4 years I've finally upgraded to a Pixel 2, thanks for all your fantastic ROMs....

See you on the other side... :)

Bigority

Jan 2, 2018
Newfoundland, Canada
Sad To See Ya Go

It's sad to see ya go man. But on the contrary I ain't having ANY of these problems. I got my Nexus 5 fairly about two months back off a friend for really cheap ($20 CAD and a carton of $10 cigarettes I found on the ground outside the fish plant lol) and he barely used it. He had an older HTC for the longest time but got the Nexus, used it for about a month, then got a iPhone. I'm not having an problems with speed (but my charging port is kinda getting loose which sucks but not the end of the world) on the stock OS even. But the battery life sucked so I flashed LineageOS 14.1 Nightly Franco Kernel r113 3.4.0, and Magisk root so I could download No Frills CPU controller. So far my battery life went from 5 hours on full if you're lucky to 12 hours (and I haven't even used No Frills CPU Controller to underclock yet). Best of luck with your G6!

bluegrass55

Sep 29, 2011
London
I still remember buying it when it came out in 2013 and returning it.
Bought it again on eBay sometime later and luckily it still had the Google warranty which I've had to use a couple of times. They even replaced it because of broken LCD.

To cut a long story short with each replacement the 2 year warranty was renewed.I have just received a replacement for the same reason as yours. But lucky for me this one is a brand new sealed in the box one. Normally they are refurbished. So I have warranty until Jan 2020. It was on 4.4.2

I have always used this as a backup, and enjoy coming back to it from devices like LG G3, G4,6P, S7, S8, 3T. The only reason i don't use it as a main device is the battery.

Despite the old processor it is very fast and dependable.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
Moto G 5G
It's sad to see ya go man. But on the contrary I ain't having ANY of these problems. I got my Nexus 5 fairly about two months back off a friend for really cheap ($20 CAD and a carton of $10 cigarettes I found on the ground outside the fish plant lol) and he barely used it. He had an older HTC for the longest time but got the Nexus, used it for about a month, then got a iPhone. I'm not having an problems with speed (but my charging port is kinda getting loose which sucks but not the end of the world) on the stock OS even. But the battery life sucked so I flashed LineageOS 14.1 Nightly Franco Kernel r113 3.4.0, and Magisk root so I could download No Frills CPU controller. So far my battery life went from 5 hours on full if you're lucky to 12 hours (and I haven't even used No Frills CPU Controller to underclock yet). Best of luck with your G6!
I too am on my original nexus 5 with 32Gb. Rooted from day one with twrp. Added xposed and marshmallow 6.0.1. Only hardware I needed to replace was the battery and it made a big difference.

I've avoided non stock roms so far but would now love to try LineageOS and Franco kernel. Are there detailed instructions somewhere as to the exact step by step procedure to do so? I've had no experience with Magisk so this is uncharted territory for me.

Bigority

Jan 2, 2018
Newfoundland, Canada
I too am on my original nexus 5 with 32Gb. Rooted from day one with twrp. Added xposed and marshmallow 6.0.1. Only hardware I needed to replace was the battery and it made a big difference.

I've avoided non stock roms so far but would now love to try LineageOS and Franco kernel. Are there detailed instructions somewhere as to the exact step by step procedure to do so? I've had no experience with Magisk so this is uncharted territory for me.
Well I can create a guide for you once I get back on my computer, also you don't have to use Magisk, for kernels I recommend you don't tbh

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Bought it again on eBay sometime later and luckily it still had the Google warranty which I've had to use a couple of times. They even replaced it because of broken LCD.

To cut a long story short with each replacement the 2 year warranty was renewed.I have just received a replacement for the same reason as yours. But lucky for me this one is a brand new sealed in the box one. Normally they are refurbished. So I have warranty until Jan 2020. It was on 4.4.2

I have always used this as a backup, and enjoy coming back to it from devices like LG G3, G4,6P, S7, S8, 3T. The only reason i don't use it as a main device is the battery.

I have mine overclocked currently, it is amazing but the battery is meh (battery is shot anyways)

Reactions: maybeme2

AndroZeek

Dec 13, 2011
Good bye Nexus 5 community.
Yesterday i bought Mi A1 and now i am giving my 3 years old N5 to someone else. I hope to see good development community for A1 because N5 has one of the best development community.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So do I and for that reason, yesterday I spent 90 Euros on a Nexus 5 with 32GB for my wife, so she finally had to retire her good old Huawei G510, which she still loves so much. I'm quite sure the Nexus 5 will be more than enough for our needs for at least another two or three years, and 2020 will be a good year for buying a used Galaxy S8 for another 130 Euros.

Well I can create a guide for you once I get back on my computer, also you don't have to use Magisk, for kernels I recommend you don't tbh

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

I have mine overclocked currently, it is amazing but the battery is meh (battery is shot anyways)