FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot/SAVE your Nexus 5

3,898 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,459

By abaaaabbbb63, Senior Member on 5th November 2013, 07:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th April 2014, 02:02 AM |#1001  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Question
Sorry if this doesn't quite belong here but I was curious to go back just to stock kernel, not completely stock itself. Could anyone link me to a good step by step for me to do this? Do i use adbfastboot the boot.img only? Im just a a little confused..

Sorry I am still new and learning. Thanks for any help!

17th April 2014, 03:27 AM |#1002  
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas220

Sorry if this doesn't quite belong here but I was curious to go back just to stock kernel, not completely stock itself. Could anyone link me to a good step by step for me to do this? Do i use adbfastboot the boot.img only? Im just a a little confused..

Sorry I am still new and learning. Thanks for any help!

Just flash boot.img
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Sent from my N91
The Following User Says Thank You to samersh72 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift samersh72 Ad-Free
18th April 2014, 05:48 PM |#1003  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samersh72

Just flash boot.img

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Sent from my N91

Thanks brother

so I understand this correctly, I just type in adb devices, then the flashboot.img code then its done? Is this correct?

What if I want to flash the system.img too (because say that custom kernels have some change in this and the stock rom should be flashed along with the boot.img)

is this right?
If so, do i just do the boot.img then the system.img after?

Does that make sense?
18th April 2014, 05:51 PM |#1004  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,431

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks brother

so I understand this correctly, I just type in adb devices, then the flashboot.img code then its done? Is this correct?

What if I want to flash the system.img too (because say that custom kernels have some change in this and the stock rom should be flashed along with the boot.img)

is this right?
If so, do i just do the boot.img then the system.img after?

Does that make sense?

You want to use fastboot commands, so fastboot devices, not adb devices. If you want to flash the system then it's:
fastboot flash system system.img

Sent from my Nexus 5
18th April 2014, 05:58 PM |#1005  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

You want to use fastboot commands, so fastboot devices, not adb devices. If you want to flash the system then it's:
fastboot flash system system.img

Sent from my Nexus 5

yes, sorry for the confusion! I guess my second question is does it matter if I were to flash the system img before or after the boot.img or does this matter?

Thank you for the fast response brother
18th April 2014, 06:01 PM |#1006  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

yes, sorry for the confusion! I guess my second question is does it matter if I were to flash the system img before or after the boot.img or does this matter?

Thank you for the fast response brother

It doesn't matter which you flash first

Sent from my Nexus 5
18th April 2014, 08:38 PM |#1007  

More
Quote:

It doesn't matter which you flash first

Sent from my Nexus 5

Okay when I type in fastboot devices it recognizes the phone (I'm in fastboot mode on it) but when i type in any commands such as Fastboot flash boot boot.img nothing happens...

Do i have to have the images in a certain directory?? Im kind of lost
18th April 2014, 08:41 PM |#1008  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
I
Quote:

Okay when I type in fastboot devices it recognizes the phone (I'm in fastboot mode on it) but when i type in any commands such as Fastboot flash boot boot.img nothing happens...

Do i have to have the images in a certain directory?? Im kind of lost

Does it give you any errors? Fyi, Fastboot has to be fastboot, lower case not sure of it's just a typo on your post

Edit, are you getting boot.img and system.img grin the factory image? You have to download that and extract the file. In there is another zip file which had to be extracted
Sent from my Nexus 5
18th April 2014, 09:21 PM |#1009  

More
Quote:

I

Does it give you any errors? Fyi, Fastboot has to be fastboot, lower case not sure of it's just a typo on your post

Edit, are you getting boot.img and system.img grin the factory image? You have to download that and extract the file. In there is another zip file which had to be extracted
Sent from my Nexus 5

Yes i did both those steps

I downloaded the factory images and extracted it, then extracted the second one as well. I have all the boot, system etc files. .. Do I need to put the boot and system .img (the two i want to flash for stock kernel) inside the platform tools so when I load up fastboot it is all in the same place? Does that make sense brother?

Like my cmd line is c/android/platform tools (should my boot.img and sys.img be in this folder?)

I hope I am clear enough for you to understand me, so sorry If I am not. I will explain better if i need to ...
18th April 2014, 09:24 PM |#1010  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes i did both those steps

I downloaded the factory images and extracted it, then extracted the second one as well. I have all the boot, system etc files. .. Do I need to put the boot and system .img (the two i want to flash for stock kernel) inside the platform tools so when I load up fastboot it is all in the same place? Does that make sense brother?

Like my cmd line is c/android/platform tools (should my boot.img and sys.img be in this folder?)

I hope I am clear enough for you to understand me, so sorry If I am not. I will explain better if i need to ...

Yes, put then in that folder, the same one fastboot.exe is in. Then open a cmd window in that folder. You can shift, right click on the folder then open a cmd window there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
18th April 2014, 09:27 PM |#1011  

More
Quote:

Yes, put then in that folder, the same one fastboot.exe is in. Then open a cmd window in that folder. You can shift, right click on the folder then open a cmd window there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

thank you so much brother for your patience , i really appreciate the help.
Im going to try this out...

oh one last thing ,, do i need to reboot between flashing the boot.img and sys.img?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brick, factory, images, nexus 5, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)