FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] How to flash a factory image | Return to stock | Unroot/SAVE your Nexus 5

3,898 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,459

By abaaaabbbb63, Senior Member on 5th November 2013, 07:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th November 2013, 12:48 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Hey all, so to start off, this really isn't my first post on xda. I'm pretty experienced with flashing and the sorts through the galaxy nexus days. But since then, I've never really needed any help, and didn't realize how long I was away. Therefore, I forgot my username/pass..so here I am. Gotta say, I love that "You're a noob" video from xda.

In any case, here's my question, more of a general one. Last night I tried flashing the Faux Kernel and got an error with TWRP 2.3.2.1. In the end, there was an error with the file system, and I wasn't able to see the file system from the device, or when connected to a PC. I ended up just running through a list of commands via cmd adb to revert to stock. Anyone know what the problem might have been? I got a /cache error.

If not, don't sweat it, I'm sure they'll get whatever kink it was worked out.

9th November 2013, 01:41 AM |#102  
Flag Astoria
Thanks Meter: 383

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithHammerhead

Hey all, so to start off, this really isn't my first post on xda. I'm pretty experienced with flashing and the sorts through the galaxy nexus days. But since then, I've never really needed any help, and didn't realize how long I was away. Therefore, I forgot my username/pass..so here I am. Gotta say, I love that "You're a noob" video from xda.

In any case, here's my question, more of a general one. Last night I tried flashing the Faux Kernel and got an error with TWRP 2.3.2.1. In the end, there was an error with the file system, and I wasn't able to see the file system from the device, or when connected to a PC. I ended up just running through a list of commands via cmd adb to revert to stock. Anyone know what the problem might have been? I got a /cache error.

If not, don't sweat it, I'm sure they'll get whatever kink it was worked out.

I had the same issue yesterday. I had made a backup prior to flashing the kernel thankfully. Mine showed no baseband either. I ended up factory resetting and restoring the backup. All is well now.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!
9th November 2013, 07:23 AM |#103  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 7,566

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaaaabbbb63

!

You might wanna mention they should do a wipe data/factory reset to avoid any problems at all!
Nice guide!
Clean, straight up, simple I like it!
9th November 2013, 07:40 AM |#104  
OP Senior Member
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Thanks Meter: 3,459

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky310711

You might wanna mention they should do a wipe data/factory reset to avoid any problems at all!
Nice guide!
Clean, straight up, simple I like it!

Thanks.

Well, i did mention that if they do not follow all the steps, they might end up in a bootloop, or even a brick. The factory reset is part of both methods.
9th November 2013, 01:22 PM |#105  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Great it helped me to return my device to stock after crashing it.
Thanks a lot!
9th November 2013, 04:48 PM |#106  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Can't enter recovery
Hi,

I followed the steps but cannot get into recovery, after doing the easy way it automatically reboots the phone. If I manually try to go into recovery I see the little android with a small red triangle and pressing the volume up plus power buttons has no effect and eventually reboots into setup again.

I also tried the manual way and had the same issues - can't get into recovery to do full wipe, etc to complete the process.

When I unlocked and rooted originally it loaded twrp recovery, not sure if this is causing the issues.

What can I try?
9th November 2013, 04:52 PM |#107  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 6,572

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon41

Hi,

I followed the steps but cannot get into recovery, after doing the easy way it automatically reboots the phone. If I manually try to go into recovery I see the little android with a small red triangle and pressing the volume up plus power buttons has no effect and eventually reboots into setup again.

I also tried the manual way and had the same issues - can't get into recovery to do full wipe, etc to complete the process.

When I unlocked and rooted originally it loaded twrp recovery, not sure if this is causing the issues.

What can I try?

The last step (factory reset via stock recovery) isn't really mandatory. Does the phone boot up normally? If it does, don't worry about factory resetting.

Sent using xda-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromium For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chromium Ad-Free
9th November 2013, 05:03 PM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium_

The last step (factory reset via stock recovery) isn't really mandatory. Does the phone boot up normally? If it does, don't worry about factory resetting.

Sent using xda-developers app

All set, I managed to press the keys correctly and enter recovery to complete process. Thanks!
9th November 2013, 11:34 PM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Wow. I didn't realize exactly how many steps you had to go through in order to do this...I've been so accustomed to running these commands I kinda forgot how in depth the process is. Well done abaaaabbbb63.
10th November 2013, 12:34 AM |#110  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Thanks for the detailed instructions, I wanted to go back to stock until a more feature filled stable rom emerged and these instructions were perfect.

One thing I got hung up on was:
after running flash-all.bat the phone automatically reboots and you see the stock boot animation, however it never finishes loading. To get back into the bootloader you need to hold Vol Down and Power (about 10 seconds for reboot from boot animation). When I go to stock recovery I tried holding down Vol Up and Power and never saw the stock recovery options menu, to get in there you need to hold Power and PRESS Vol Up. This difference took me a bit to figure out. Hope this helps anyone else who was confused. Definitely need to do factory reset from stock recovery for it to boot fully, in my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to cooooooop For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cooooooop Ad-Free
10th November 2013, 04:38 AM |#111  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 161

More
How to flash a factory image without erasing custom recovery
Let's say you want to flash the stock ROM to replace a custom ROM, but you don't want to erase your custom recovery, would you simply use method two but omit the following line? Do you have to reflash the recovery in order to restore the stock ROM? Could you simply replace recovery.img in image-hammerhead-krt16m with TWRP/CWM and use method number one? Thanks.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery C:/image-hammerhead-krt16m/recovery.img
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brick, factory, images, nexus 5, root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)