FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ACKNOWLEDGED BUG] Android 5.1 Camera can't connect... ever

60 posts
Thanks Meter: 35

By cthulu, Member on 16th March 2015, 12:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Quote:

It appears this is long-running problem plaguing N5's for some time. I saw sporadical "Can't connect to camera" on 5.0.1 but after update to 5.1 (I flashed the stock image) I literally cannot get the camera working for more than 1 unlock session.

I did have root but I thought it might be a problem so I unrooted and reflashed stock, but no help. The only other thing I can imagine to do is factory reset, but I have a few security apps that will need some time to be setup again (mostly banking and 2 factor stuff), plus I am not sure if I can restore data w/o Titanium using Google's new 'Restore', so I'm keeping the factory reset as last option.

Any ideas what I can do here? Is it happening to anyone else on 5.1? Can I somehow verify it's not a HW issue? (although, it was working on 5.0.1 so it's unlikely HW issue).

The only apps which *may* be accessing camera are Trusted face unlock, Whatsapp and Hangouts. Nothing special I'd say

Acknowledged bug by google https://code.google.com/p/android/is...tail?id=160609

16th March 2015, 12:43 PM |#2  
Flag Vrhnika
Thanks Meter: 165

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulu

It appears this is long-running problem plaguing N5's for some time. I saw sporadical "Can't connect to camera" on 5.0.1 but after update to 5.1 (I flashed the stock image) I literally cannot get the camera working for more than 1 unlock session.

I did have root but I thought it might be a problem so I unrooted and reflashed stock, but no help. The only other thing I can imagine to do is factory reset, but I have a few security apps that will need some time to be setup again (mostly banking and 2 factor stuff), plus I am not sure if I can restore data w/o Titanium using Google's new 'Restore', so I'm keeping the factory reset as last option.

Any ideas what I can do here? Is it happening to anyone else on 5.1? Can I somehow verify it's not a HW issue? (although, it was working on 5.0.1 so it's unlikely HW issue).

The only apps which *may* be accessing camera are Trusted face unlock, Whatsapp and Hangouts. Nothing special I'd say

If you reflashed factory image, you allready did a factory reset. Can you be more accurate with your description? Is this start immediately after first boot or later?
16th March 2015, 01:00 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagorteney

If you reflashed factory image, you allready did a factory reset. Can you be more accurate with your description? Is this start immediately after first boot or later?

I did reflash stock without wiping (to actually get the 5.1 upgrade - I didn't want to wait for OTA). If you wipe you start with clean phone, which I didn't want
So my problem manifests like this:
  1. boot phone
  2. camera seems to be working (opening camera app doesn't crash but actually allows taking pics)
  3. after few screen locks/minutes, camera doesnt work anymore - opening camera either immediately crashes or shows "Can't connect to camera"
  4. reboot fixes it for another few minutes
16th March 2015, 01:08 PM |#4  
Flag Vrhnika

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulu

I did reflash stock without wiping (to actually get the 5.1 upgrade - I didn't want to wait for OTA). If you wipe you start with clean phone, which I didn't want
So my problem manifests like this:

1. boot phone
  2. camera seems to be working (opening camera app doesn't crash but actually allows taking pics)
  3. after few screen locks/minutes, camera doesnt work anymore - opening camera either immediately crashes or shows "Can't connect to camera"
  4. reboot fixes it for another few minutes

That's why i was asking this. Data partition can also cause problems. Flash completely and it will fix it.
16th March 2015, 01:21 PM |#5  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:

That's why i was asking this. Data partition can also cause problems. Flash completely and it will fix it.

I also have this issue. I flashed 5.1 with the flash-all script, which did wipe my data. Any suggestions?
16th March 2015, 01:43 PM |#6  
Flag Vrhnika

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHPanos

I also have this issue. I flashed 5.1 with the flash-all script, which did wipe my data. Any suggestions?

And this was happening immediately after booting your phone? Then must be hardware. 😕
16th March 2015, 02:05 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
It works fine everytime I reboot, for xx minutes. It's difficult to say for how long but not too long. I see that "Trusted face" unlock stops working and that's a signal the whole camera subsystem is gone. Everything else works just no camera access from any app is possible.
16th March 2015, 02:31 PM |#8  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:

And this was happening immediately after booting your phone? Then must be hardware. ��

No. It works at first. Then after a few times of locking/unlocking the phone and opening the camera app and switching to front camera it shuts down. The problem goes away after a reboot but it comes back again after a while.

cthulu: We have both the same problem.
16th March 2015, 03:03 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Same here for me since upgrading to 5.0 every now and then i must reboot my phone in order to fix it.This is really annoying maybe we should wait for a new camera app by google ?
16th March 2015, 03:22 PM |#10  
Flag Brussels
Thanks Meter: 21

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs down Same issue
Hi guys,
This has been the problem for me since 5.0 . I thought maybe its just me. But after a while, the camera stops working. I assume this is a s/w issue since the phone was fine in Kitkat. Even in 5.1 the issue persists.
17th March 2015, 02:41 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am also getting frequent "can't connect to camera" since 5.1. Nexus 5.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
5.1, camera

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)