FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android Pay and Custom ROM

673 posts
Thanks Meter: 266

By luigidk, Senior Member on 12th September 2015, 11:13 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Anyone get Android Pay and Custom ROM working on their rooted and customized Nexus 5 ?

Here are the steps I took in order to add cards and get Android Pay functioning on my phone:

- Get the Google Pay APK from here: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-apk-download/
- You'll also need an upgrade for Google Play Services, I was not able to get it through Apple Pay, I had to get it from here:
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-apk-download/
NOTE: have to install Google Play Services that ends in 238 for the N5

Then do the following steps:
- Install Android Pay
- Install Google Play Services
- Clear Data for Android Pay
- Go into SuperSU and unroot
- setup Android Pay
- re-root using SuperSU

So this allowed me to add/manage cards in Android Pay - but some users are getting an error such as:
"MASTERCARD-XXXX can't be used with Android Pay right now " when trying to pay with their phone.

The other item I noted is that after verifying my credit card with the issuing bank - it took several hours (>8) before I received official confirmation that the card was made available for mobile payment.
I'm guessing that it may take a while before the cards are 'activated for mobile payment?

Anyone able to use Android Pay to make a payment on their N5 (rooted, Custom ROM) ?

Note: I'm running on Cataclysm and HellsCore Kernel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luigidk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift luigidk Ad-Free

12th September 2015, 11:40 PM |#2  
Flag Memphis
Thanks Meter: 97

Donate to Me
More
I just received email confirmation from my bank that my card had been added. I did receive verbal confirmation the day I added it, but maybe it takes a few days. The problem now is that I had removed my card and re-added it this morning, before that initial email confirmation came through. Now I don't know if I need to wait for another email confirmation before trying again.
12th September 2015, 11:47 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
The process worked for me, but I haven't yet tried to make a payment. One note on the steps (although this is probably understood by most who would be going through the process): For re-rooting SuperSU, you may want to clarify this is done by re-installing SuperSU in recovery.
13th September 2015, 02:25 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Hand

The process worked for me, but I haven't yet tried to make a payment. One note on the steps (although this is probably understood by most who would be going through the process): For re-rooting SuperSU, you may want to clarify this is done by re-installing SuperSU in recovery.

All I did was turn back on "Enable Superuser" in SuperSU Free - I did not re-install SuperSu in recovery...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-12-17-22-27.png
Views:	2938
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	3471786  
13th September 2015, 02:51 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 471

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigidk

Anyone get Android Pay and Custom ROM working on their rooted and customized Nexus 5 ?

Here are the steps I took in order to add cards and get Android Pay functioning on my phone:

- Get the Google Pay APK from here: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-apk-download/
- You'll also need an upgrade for Google Play Services, I was not able to get it through Apple Pay, I had to get it from here:
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-apk-download/

NOTE: have to install Google Play Services that ends in 238 for the N5

Then do the following steps:
- Install Android Pay
- Install Google Play Services
- Clear Data for Android Pay
- Go into SuperSU and unroot
- setup Android Pay
- re-root using SuperSU

So this allowed me to add/manage cards in Android Pay - but some users are getting an error such as:
"MASTERCARD-XXXX can't be used with Android Pay right now " when trying to pay with their phone.

The other item I noted is that after verifying my credit card with the issuing bank - it took several hours (>8) before I received official confirmation that the card was made available for mobile payment.
I'm guessing that it may take a while before the cards are 'activated for mobile payment?

Anyone able to use Android Pay to make a payment on their N5 (rooted, Custom ROM) ?

Note: I'm running on Cataclysm and HellsCore Kernel.

I'm getting that those links are broken/don't work.......

EDIT: I've had the 'Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped' constantly with any iteration of the Google Play Services update I've downloaded. I just dl'd the 'universal' version 240 from the XDA Developers posting , everything else has worked fine but I'm still getting the service stop error. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this message to stop? When I go to Manage Apps, there's no option to clear data/uninstall updates, only clear cache and disable (and I don't want to disable it, for sure.)
13th September 2015, 04:08 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 163

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmccullough

I'm getting that those links are broken/don't work.......

EDIT: I've had the 'Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped' constantly with any iteration of the Google Play Services update I've downloaded. I just dl'd the 'universal' version 240 from the XDA Developers posting , everything else has worked fine but I'm still getting the service stop error. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this message to stop? When I go to Manage Apps, there's no option to clear data/uninstall updates, only clear cache and disable (and I don't want to disable it, for sure.)

What device?

Nexus 5 requires either Play services -230 or -238, not -240

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
13th September 2015, 04:58 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
I fixed the links - but if they fail again - just goto http://www.apkmirror.com/ and find the latest android pay and latest google play services (ending in 238) apks - and use those.
13th September 2015, 07:01 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2,589

More

Pure Nexus Project, tried the steps in OP as well as trying exposed modules to hide root. I also tried using bootunlocker to lock the BL and change the tamper flag to stock. Still no luck.
13th September 2015, 07:20 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ

Pure Nexus Project, tried the steps in OP as well as trying exposed modules to hide root. I also tried using bootunlocker to lock the BL and change the tamper flag to stock. Still no luck.

Supposedly this Xposed module goes the extra mile, and addresses the real obstacle to Android Pay activation: the new SafetyNet API

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.pyler.nodevicecheck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvertrain78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift silvertrain78 Ad-Free
13th September 2015, 02:19 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 471

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertrain78

What device?

Nexus 5 requires either Play services -230 or -238, not -240

Yeah, Nexus 5. I'll have to try 230, nothing else has worked so far. 240 was supposed to be a 'universal' GPServices.....I see a commenter above posted something about a new Xposed module, maybe have to give that a shot, too.

EDIT: Looks like v.238 was the trick, no Google Play Services errors so far. Now I just have to test out Android Pay somewhere.

Does anyone know if you have to somehow choose between Android Pay and Google Wallet when using NFC payment at a terminal?
13th September 2015, 05:53 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmccullough

Yeah, Nexus 5. I'll have to try 230, nothing else has worked so far. 240 was supposed to be a 'universal' GPServices.....I see a commenter above posted something about a new Xposed module, maybe have to give that a shot, too.

EDIT: Looks like v.238 was the trick, no Google Play Services errors so far. Now I just have to test out Android Pay somewhere.

Does anyone know if you have to somehow choose between Android Pay and Google Wallet when using NFC payment at a terminal?

Glad you got it set. FYI, for Nexus 5 the -230 Play services is universal DPI.

I'm pretty sure at the pos terminal you'll only be able to use Android Pay. It has completely assumed all duties of the old Wallet. If you have a Google Wallet physical card you can add it as an option for Pay, but otherwise Wallet is now just for p2p transactions (like PayPal).

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread