FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Are you facing Battery Drain on Lollipop LRX21O?

Yes

740 Vote(s)
80.35%
No

181 Vote(s)
19.65%

[Battery Drain] [Lollipop] [LRX21O] - UPDATED 19-NOV-2014

44 posts
Thanks Meter: 80

By kyinx, Member on 14th November 2014, 08:10 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Star & Report this issue to Google here: http://tinyurl.com/pgcmfma

********** UPDATE 19-NOV-2014 **********

Test 3: Battery Consumption Lollipop 5.0 [LRX21O] vs KitKat 4.4.4 [KTU84Q] (4h 30m)
[LINK TO POST IN THREAD HERE]
Scenario:
  • STOCK + ROOT + SELinux Mode (Permissive) + GSAM Battery Monitor (Root) + Whatsapp + Viber + Stock Apps Only
  • WiFi: ON
  • WiFi Notification: OFF
  • WiFi Scanning: OFF
  • Cellular Network Mode: 3G
  • NFC: OFF
  • Google Now: OFF
  • Brightness: AUTO/ADAPTIVE
  • OK Google: ON (Default)
  • Location Mode: High Accuracy
  • Location History: ON
  • Location Reporting: ON
  • Alarms: NO

Observations after 4h 30m:

Initial Charge: 100% (BOTH)
Remaining Charge: KitKat - 74% | Lollipop 67%
Power Consumption Per Hour: KitKat - 5.7% | Lollipop - 7.6% (~2%/hr MORE)

Total Battery Consumption: LOLLIPOP CONSUMES 7% MORE
[Note: In KitKat Phone & WiFi were significantly more used]

Application/Service Specific Battery Consumption: LOLLIPOP CONSUMES 8% MORE (APPROX)
[NOTE: KitKat Phone Call - 1h 45m while Lollipop Phone Call - 45m]

Screen Consumption: LOLLIPOP CONSUMES 11% MORE

Phone Radio: KitKat = LOLLIPOP

WiFi: LOLLIPOP CONSUMES 1.7% MORE (MATHEMATICALLY PROJECTED)

Conclusion:
  1. Overall Battery Consumption of Lollipop is significantly higher than that of KitKat.
  2. The default Battery Stats are inaccurate in Lollipop. It's accurate in KitKat.
  3. WiFi shows as 'Always ON' in Lollipop's default battery stats but it is actually OFF and consumes no extra power. (Thanks to GSAM).
  4. No 3rd Party Applications are causing drain in Lollipop. Neither is WiFi (Scanning always available or Network Notification or Whatever....)
  5. Cast Services in Lollipop are not draining battery.
  6. Project Volta & App Optimizations - Google Apps are expected to be optimized to consume less power. But it seems exactly the opposite.
  7. Android System, Kernel (Android OS) & Google Play Services in Lollipop 5.0 consume 2.5 times more power to run than in KitKat 4.4.4 (6.1% vs 15.3%)
  8. Extremely disappointed with Google. Lollipop 5.0 LRX21O has rendered the Nexus 5 unusable.
  9. The Rest is for you to judge my friends.

Thanking everyone for their continued support. Keep Testing. Keep Reporting.

kyinx

********** END OF 19-NOV-2014 **********

********** UPDATE 16-NOV-2014 **********

Test 2: Overnight Battery Drain [WiFi OFF] (8h 0m)

[LINK TO THIS POST HERE]

[SCREENSHOTS IN CONTENT BELOW]

Scenario:

Cleared Cache: YES
Initial Charge: 100%
WiFi: 0FF ***** Notice how the WiFi still remains ON in the Battery Stats - Screenshot 1 of Test 2.
Cellular Network Mode: 3G
NFC: OFF
Google Now: OFF
Location Mode: High Accuracy
Location History: ON
Location Reporting: ON
Alarms: NO

Observation:

Remaining Charge: 85% (86% when the screenshot was taken, but dropped immediately)
Total Battery Use: 15%
Unreported Use (Hidden/Masked): 8%
Reported Battery Use: 7% (Summation of individual usage as per battery stats)

Note: 15% of battery consumption in 8h 0m results to 17.81% (18%) in 9h 32m (Mathematically). This is exactly same as Test 1's battery consumption i.e. with WiFi ON.
  1. Whatsapp - 2%
  2. Google Services - 1%
  3. Phone Idle - 1%
  4. Viber - 1%
  5. Cell Standby - 1%
  6. Android OS - 1%

[LINK TO THIS POST HERE]

Conclusion:
  1. The [WiFi ON] battery drain has been consistent with [WiFi OFF] battery drain. [Test 1 = Test 2]
  2. The WiFi service is somehow always ON whether we disable the WiFi or simple put the device in Airplane mode. This is a definite flaw with the OS.
  3. An idle phone with WiFi ON has never ever consumed this much of battery - 16% overnight (as per Test 1). Today's test (Test 2) proves that there definitely is a WiFi Battery Drain Bug in the final version of Lollipop LRX21O.
  4. Such high overnight battery consumption with either WiFi ON or OFF cannot be contributed only to the WiFi Bug. There are definitely other hidden battery drain issues other than this which Google knows but we do not.
  5. 50% of battery usage is still unaccounted/masked/hidden. The Developer Preview version of Lollipop shows that the Battery Stats are not incorrect. Hence I believe that Google does/did not want the users to know about the drain by MANIPULATING the stats.
  6. It is now upto Google to come up, acknowledge this issue and fix it. They have already made a fool of themselves by releasing the Developer preview about 6 months back and still not being able to rectify the bug in the final release. I wonder if they actually are listening to us!

I thank all readers and participants of this thread for their support. Kindly continue tracking the battery usage and report observations and fixes if any..

[LINK TO THIS POST HERE]

kyinx

********** END OF 16-NOV-2014 **********

********** UPDATE 15-NOV-2014 **********

Test 1: Overnight Battery Drain [WiFi ON] (9h 27m)

[LINK TO THIS POST HERE]

[SCREENSHOTS IN CONTENT BELOW]

Scenario:

WiFi: 0N
Cellular Network Mode: 3G
NFC: OFF
Google Now: OFF
Location Mode: High Accuracy
Location History: ON
Location Reporting: ON
Alarms: NO

Observation:

Remaining Charge: 82%
Total Battery Use: 18%
Unreported Use (Hidden/Masked): 14%
Reported Battery Use: 4% (Summation of individual usage as per battery stats)

1. WiFi - 1%
  2. Phone Idle - 1%
  3. Google Services - 1%
  4. Android System - 1%

[LINK TO THIS POST HERE]

Conclusion:
  1. There is something seriously wrong somewhere. 14% of Battery Drain overnight with screen off is ridiculous.
  2. In KitKat the overnight battery consumption used to be 5% (Average) and 8% (Max). This used to be reported in Battery stats and this was not a drain.
  3. Google is surely hiding the battery drain in Lollipop. It is a half baked cake and Google knows it.

I request all users (not only Nexus) to track their battery usage on Lollipop and report their observations. A comparison report with KitKat would be Excellent.

[LINK TO THIS POST HERE]

kyinx

********** END OF 15-NOV-2014 **********

********** ORIGINAL POST 14-NOV-2014 **********

My Device: Nexus 5 LG-D821 (India). Not an OTA update. Flashed LRX21O Factory Image. Did not use Google or any other Backup & Restore utility. No Root.

Flashback: Lollipop 5.0 Developer Preview LPV79, LPV81C & LPX13D had serious battery drain issues. Detailed as "Miscellaneous" it was the WiFi Battery Drain bug which bothered all Lollipop users.

Report: After using my Nexus 5 for two complete charge cycles, I have observed that the WiFi battery drain bug persists and the details are very cleverly hidden by Google. I am framing my observations and conclusion below.

[SCREENSHOTS IN ATTACHMENT BELOW]

Initial charge: 100%
Used: 45% (Summation of individual usage as per battery stats)
Remaining: 10%
Unreported Use (Hidden/Masked): 45%

1. Wifi was ON the whole time (11h 5m). Consumption: 2% [SUSPICIOUSLY LOW]
  2. uTorrent was downloading over WiFi (3h 14m). Consumption: 5% [LOOKS GOOD]
  3. Phone idle (9h 52m). Consumption: 1% [SUSPICIOUSLY LOW]
  4. Voice Calls (1h 20m). Consumption: 11% [LOOKS NORMAL]
  5. Screen ON (2h 6m). Consumption: 12% [SUSPICIOUSLY LOW]

Conclusion:
  1. There is about 50% masked battery drain in the final release of Lollipop LRX21O which Google does not want it's users to know.
  2. Google has termed the "Miscellaneous Wifi Battery Bug" as SOLVED by just MANIPULATING the Battery Stats.
  3. At first anyone would be very happy to see that "Miscellaneous" does not appears in the Battery stats and each service uses battery economically. But by observing carefully and refering to the Kitkat 4.4.x battery consumption stats one can easily makeout that the Lollipop battery stats are incorrect. Services are using far less amount of battery than they should (logically) and the device is still draining battery over WiFi.
  4. Google did a hasty job with their final release of Lollipop. They are trying to hide the unresolved bugs.
  5. Project Volta is supposed to give us 30% battery gain and not 50% battery drain.

I request Nexus users to track their battery usage on Lollipop and report their observations.

kyinx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	7678
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	3014274   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	8946
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	3014275   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	13942
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	3014276   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	8906
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	3014277   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	8032
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	3014281   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.png
Views:	7422
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	3014282   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.png
Views:	7140
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	3014283   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.png
Views:	6878
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	3014284   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.png
Views:	6914
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	3014285  
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to kyinx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kyinx Ad-Free

14th November 2014, 08:37 AM |#2  
Flag Southport
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Maybe reflash again?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th November 2014, 08:41 AM |#3  
Flag Berhampur
Thanks Meter: 86

More
I was wondering the same....

Let me first talk about my old Nexus7 (2012-WiFi-32GB)...
I jumped onto the AOSP build as we got one after Google released AOSP sources publicly...
I was happy on having it running on my 2 year old device...
Performance was improved and acceptable.. Antutu scores were nearing about 22k mark with Faux kernel...... Some apps ran smoother... some took much more time to start... All credits to NAND dependency of Lollipop...
However, when I used device actively on wifi...Wi-Fi battery drainage was quite high... When I switched off Wi-Fi it went fine...
There was miscellaneous in battery usage...which accounted 30% of battery on AOSP Nexus 7 buikd...

I was unhappy and came back to Kitkat stock build...

Later on I came across the Official Build Image by Google on its servers... I downloaded and flashed on my Nexus 7... It was up and running...
Initially I was happy... Miscellaneous bug was not present(rather visible in stats)....

I used it for day...same battery drainage was there...

I felt Google did not solve anything they have just hidden the miscellaneous battery issue....just to release the lollipop as scheduled..

I get much lesser SOT (3-4 hours) compared to 5+ hours on KK... and while using with WiFi battery decays exponentially... While Wi-Fi not being used... it acts normal....
Another thing, WiFi was on for 12 hours almost and accounts to only 1% battery? I don't agree.... Google(battery stats) is faking this time I feel....

-via Nexus 7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415954483222.jpg
Views:	4308
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	3014321  
The Following User Says Thank You to bhargav143 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bhargav143 Ad-Free
14th November 2014, 08:43 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Kolkata

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1153

Maybe reflash again?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Flashed twice. Not a problem with flashing.
Does your battery usage stats sum up to about 100% ??
14th November 2014, 08:51 AM |#5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 670

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyinx

uTorrent was downloading over WiFi (3h 14m)

Rerun the test without downloading anything in the background, this is a huge wakelock. You can see when your phone was awake and when you had the steepest drain.

Leave your phone with WiFi connected and idle, screen off for several hours.

Then work out the average % / hr drain. And to anyone else who sees drain, I'm not saying there's no issue, but please at least verify that it is actually drain by logical testing. Fresh install, no additional apps other than those bundled. 'Seems' worse is not a measurement.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddiehk6 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eddiehk6 Ad-Free
14th November 2014, 08:58 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
I went to sleep with 53% battery and woke up with 10%... Wifi on ofcourse.
I've also noticed my screen turns on when I receive messages. Not always, but sometimes it does it which is weird...
I can wait for the next update for L...
14th November 2014, 09:44 AM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Kolkata

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehk6

Rerun the test without downloading anything in the background, this is a huge wakelock. You can see when your phone was awake and when you had the steepest drain.

Leave your phone with WiFi connected and idle, screen off for several hours.

Then work out the average % / hr drain. And to anyone else who sees drain, I'm not saying there's no issue, but please at least verify that it is actually drain by logical testing. Fresh install, no additional apps other than those bundled. 'Seems' worse is not a measurement.

I agree that it is a huge wake lock. The battery drop curve is definitely steep. But the curve does not improve even when the download is complete and the device sleeps. The steep curve continues.

If uTorrent/WiFi/Wake Lock consumes so much battery, then why is it not reported in the stats under any category?

Kitkat used to report this usage. Lollipop is not. There is definitely something which we do not know. Google had not released the bug fixed binaries yet.

Right now my device is on charge and I would do the idle on WiFi test and no WiFi test and report my observations in the next couple of days.
14th November 2014, 10:04 AM |#8  
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 2,254

More
experienced the same. but i think in my case my battery has had its time (1 year now, intensivly used). I ordered a new battery, should arrive tomorrow. I am curious if it will improve, because when i bought my n5, i could easily get 5h screen on. now its just 2-3h (even with kitkat)
14th November 2014, 10:32 AM |#9  
Flag Madison, MS
Thanks Meter: 119

More
I can confirm I'm seeing the exact same battery life (drain) as with the last Dev. Preview. They are definitely hiding the drain now... This needs to be addressed. Before, I could get 5+ hours of SOT on 4.4.4.. Ever since the last Dev. Preview until now on the official factory image flash 100% stock it's roughly 3 hours SOT..
14th November 2014, 10:39 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02busa

I can confirm I'm seeing the exact same battery life (drain) as with the last Dev. Preview. They are definitely hiding the drain now... This needs to be addressed. Before, I could get 5+ hours of SOT on 4.4.4.. Ever since the last Dev. Preview until now on the official factory image flash 100% stock it's roughly 3 hours SOT..

What do you mean by "hiding the drain now"?
14th November 2014, 10:42 AM |#11  
Flag Madison, MS
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfouto

What do you mean by "hiding the drain now"?

They're not listing it as miscellaneous in the battery stats menu anymore, but the drain is definitely still there. Also, they marked the issue as fixed in the issue tracker.. It's not fixed, just being covered up.
The Following User Says Thank You to 02busa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 02busa Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery drain, lollipop, lrx21o, miscellaneous, wifi
Previous Thread Next Thread