Broken/jammed power button, under warranty, rooted... what do?

Search This thread
Dec 3, 2013
Just unlocked and rooted my N5 last week, and sure enough, just my luck, my power button jammed into the pushed in position. It's completely screwed. Took it apart, and the button itself broke loose, while still being jammed in the on position, so the phone just loops.

Any suggestions for getting the phone back to stock while this is happening? I'm curious if Google is going to try and deny my warranty claim because of the unlock/root.

Zepius

Mar 29, 2011
Google won't deny warranty for root. They will deny it for opening it up though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

you opened the phone, so you would have to pay the repair costs.

why does everyone think they can get warranty replacements when they screw it up even more by opening the device?

Dec 3, 2013

How will they be able to tell? That's rather silly, seeing is it's just a snappable cover.

you opened the phone, so you would have to pay the repair costs.

why does everyone think they can get warranty replacements when they screw it up even more by opening the device?

:rolleyes: Screw it up even more... yeah, alright. You clearly know so much about my technical abilities.

According to the warranty terms:

"It’s best to replace the battery when it no longer provides acceptable performance. It can be recharged hundreds of times before it needs replacing."

This would of course require you to remove the battery cover. Therefore, I can't see any possible way removing the battery cover would void my warranty.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2013
Furthermore, this is also in the warranty terms:

"Owner’s Record
The model number, regulatory number, and serial number are located on a nameplate inside the battery compartment. Record the serial number in the space provided below. This will be helpful if you need to contact us about your phone in the future.
Model:
Serial No.:"

There's no possible way taking the battery cover off voids my warranty. Sorry, but you're wrong.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
How will they be able to tell? That's rather silly, seeing is it's just a snappable cover.
Once you remove the back cover all you got to do is remove a few screws to access the motherboard. I bet you will say Google shouldn't deny you warranty for removing a few screws? LOL

According to the warranty terms:

"It’s best to replace the battery when it no longer provides acceptable performance. It can be recharged hundreds of times before it needs replacing."

This would of course require you to remove the battery cover. Therefore, I can't see any possible way removing the battery cover would void my warranty.

Yes. It holds true as long as it's done by a LG personnel or a Google technician. How can you possibly think that doing this by yourself wouldn't void the warranty?

Dec 3, 2013
Once you remove the back cover all you got to do is remove a few screws to access the motherboard. I bet you will say Google shouldn't deny you warranty for removing a few screws? LOL

Yes. It holds true as long as it's done by a LG personnel or a Google technician. How can you possibly think that doing this by yourself wouldn't void the warranty?

Yeah, sorry, but you're wrong. Multiple times in the warranty information, it indicates you are not voiding the warranty by removing the battery cover. In fact, I'm going to contact Google directly and ask them about this. I'll be sure to cap the conversation and post here shortly.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Yeah, sorry, but you're wrong. Multiple times in the warranty information, it indicates you are not voiding the warranty by removing the battery cover. In fact, I'm going to contact Google directly and ask them about this. I'll be sure to cap the conversation and post here shortly.

May be the rules regarding warranty differ in your country. The warranty card which came along with my device doesn't mention any of the stuff you quoted in your previous posts.

Care to share the source please?? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.