Camera dark!

Search This thread

Fata7

Feb 9, 2014
Hello,

I received a nexus5 few days ago but I just noticed that the camera application is very dark whereas the photo app works great.
I am on CM11 but i restored to 4.4.2 stock and it's still the same.

Please help!
:(

Tenhi

Jun 3, 2010
That's known issue, and there is one quite lengthy thread on official Google groups (if you are talking about when shooting in low light, right?).

Google is aware of it. They even contacted few of use to recreate this issue and send a bug report to them, and that was like 2 months ago.
This happened after 4.4.1/4.4.2 update affecting all users (as far as I know).

Edit: Here's the link for that thread: https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/nexus/fxsT5LxuXJU/wsUpKaxQ05EJ

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ickoicko

Oct 3, 2012
Pasig
Yeah I was confused. I thought he walking about pictures that are too dark then I read your link and it's about the video that's dark whereas the camera has the same lighting which is normal

Tenhi

Jun 3, 2010
Yeah I was confused. I thought he walking about pictures that are too dark then I read your link and it's about the video that's dark whereas the camera has the same lighting which is normal

Yeah, I was also a bit confused, but he is talking about camera and photo mode (app), so I guess he meant video mode :).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
I'm not sure if this is really a bug though. All phones I've used have darker videos than photos. Most likely because the camera isn't capable of longer exposures while taking video. I might be wrong though.

Tenhi

Jun 3, 2010
But the strange thing is that it was not like that before the update. Maybe they just decreased exposure gain to remove noise.

There is one more weird thing happening withing camera app that I came across trying to "fix" this underexposure issue.

I pointed camera to some dark area and then I was toggling between modes there (eg. From camera mode to PhotoSphere, and then to video mode). Exposure issue fixed itself (in video mode), but picture was unbelievably wide and stretched. And as soon as you start recording, it reverts back to original underexposed video mode. So I guess that is just some weird glitch.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fata7

Feb 9, 2014
I have CWM touch with CM11-M3 on my phone.

I will try the 4.4.1 app this evening, I keep you in touch.

Thank you for your help guys :]

varuntis1993

Apr 7, 2013
New Delhi
Yea its a known bug with android 4.4.2 and also the static noise while recording video.
My nexus 7 2013 has also been effected with these bugs.....hope google fixes it soon.

Tenhi

Jun 3, 2010
Are you sure that you are talking about the same issue? As far as I know, every phone has this issue after 4.4.1/4.4.2 update...

Here are my screenshots of camera app while pointing it to spot with poor lighting condition s...

Note that difference is even more noticeable in darker scenes...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392328934651.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392328934651.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 100
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392328953755.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392328953755.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 99

Fata7

Feb 9, 2014
Are you sure that you are talking about the same issue? As far as I know, every phone has this issue after 4.4.1/4.4.2 update...

Here are my screenshots of camera app while pointing it to spot with poor lighting condition s...

Note that difference is even more noticeable in darker scenes...

So you are saying that it's normal for the nexus 5 to have an app camera less brighter than the photo app since 4.4.2? I received my phone a week ago so I didn't noticed it, it was already installed in 4.4.2

Tenhi

Jun 3, 2010
So you are saying that it's normal for the nexus 5 to have an app camera less brighter than the photo app since 4.4.2? I received my phone a week ago so I didn't noticed it, it was already installed in 4.4.2

No, I am not saying that. Read my previous posts in this thread. It is known "bug". Google is aware of it (bug reports have been sent), and it is up to then to fix it or not.