Camera update and CPU usage

Search This thread

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
I recently noticed that the CPU on my rooted, stock rom Nexus 5 was running at levels of 70*% on all 4 cores. It came to my attention because this really slowed down the phone and made apps run very slow.

I asked about it and investigated but got no satisfactory responses. Finally I came across this
http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-5-camera-and-cpu-usage-bug-acknowledged-20140305/

I uninstalled the camera updates and the CPU usage immediately dropped to normal with only 2 cores being used most of the time.

So, if your phone has been running slow lately, it might be because of the latest camera update. Uninstalling the update might be the answer for you too.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
the camera daemon was an issue way before the new camera came out. many many many have been experiencing it with the old camera. its not the camera itself btw, its a service your phone runs when taking photos(using the cam). and there are 2 temporary fixes for it.. 1. reboot your device, 2. use a free memory app to kill your services. as you can see that article was written way before the new camera app came out.

Last edited:

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Which service should I kill? The battery app said it was "Android os" that was hogging it. Would disabling the camera app and using a different app make a difference?

Here's the difference I saw.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399055224102.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399055224102.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 55
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399055244518.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399055244518.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 53

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
i use an app called FMR Memory Cleaner. i open it, press the button to run it(kill everything), and it frees my ram memory up. as a side effect, it kills that camera daemon service running. so it stops the high cpu usage/battery loss right after. basically, right after i stop using my camera, i run it.

btw, i used to work for androidcommunity.com(and actually get paid for it). i used to head and run their forums. and if you search simms22 in their search, a whole bunch of their news articles will pop up with me in them :)

Last edited:

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks. I thought task killers were useless because Android just reloads what it needs, but maybe it doesn't reload the camera daemon until the user calls it again. I don't use the camera much which is possibly why I had not noticed this till now.

Wonder if a boot manager could selectively prevent the camera and similar daemons from loading till actually called. But I don't know much about the inner workings of android.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Thanks. I thought task killers were useless because Android just reloads what it needs, but maybe it doesn't reload the camera daemon until the user calls it again. I don't use the camera much which is possibly why I had not noticed this till now.

its a matter of opinion. sure, android does the job. personally i dont like how android does it. ive been using a few free ram/fast reboot type memory freers apps for the past 5 years, and am very selective of which i use, as some are just junk. anyways, it keeps me happier in the end, and thats whats important. isnt it? :)

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
its a matter of opinion. sure, android does the job. personally i dont like how android does it. ive been using a few free ram/fast reboot type memory freers apps for the past 5 years, and am very selective of which i use, as some are just junk. anyways, it keeps me happier in the end, and thats whats important. isnt it? :)

Yes it is what's important.

And thank you for your help.