FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Challenge - reviving a N5 with a screwed-up SBL1 partition?

107 posts
Thanks Meter: 25

By NadavCE, Senior Member on 12th February 2018, 11:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

Like the dumbass I am, while trying to make the system partition larger on my 16GB N5 I accidentally deleted the sbl1 partition. Panicking, I restored it from the partition table I had while starting. Rebooted... and black screen - QDL mode.

I tried following this guide but it errored out with something along the lines of "no device detected in QDL mode, checking flash mode".

Now the device doesn't boot into QDL mode, but when I hold down power+any other button, it boots into (I believe) the secondary fastboot mode (screen still powered off). However, I can't do much with it; Windows gives an "Unknown USB Device: device descriptor request failed (error 43)", and Linux doesn't detect it at all (not through lsusb, fastboot or adb).

Is there anything I can do, or did I royally screw up?

12th February 2018, 07:01 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,126

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadavCE

Hi all,

Like the dumbass I am, while trying to make the system partition larger on my 16GB N5 I accidentally deleted the sbl1 partition. Panicking, I restored it from the partition table I had while starting. Rebooted... and black screen - QDL mode.

I tried following this guide but it errored out with something along the lines of "no device detected in QDL mode, checking flash mode".

Now the device doesn't boot into QDL mode, but when I hold down power+any other button, it boots into (I believe) the secondary fastboot mode (screen still powered off). However, I can't do much with it; Windows gives an "Unknown USB Device: device descriptor request failed (error 43)", and Linux doesn't detect it at all (not through lsusb, fastboot or adb).

Is there anything I can do, or did I royally screw up?

Does this help you, https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=3509880

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jd1639 Ad-Free
12th February 2018, 07:29 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Does this help you, https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=3509880

That's actually the guide I followed that messed me up in the first place... I already managed to fix it though - I took off the backplate and unscrewed the screws, and connected the phone to the PC with the battery plugged out of the motherboard. It was then detected by BoardDiag, restored with the 16GB folder from the thread you linked, and LineageOS installed
The Following User Says Thank You to NadavCE For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NadavCE Ad-Free
12th February 2018, 07:35 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,126

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadavCE

That's actually the guide I followed that messed me up in the first place... I already managed to fix it though - I took off the backplate and unscrewed the screws, and connected the phone to the PC with the battery plugged out of the motherboard. It was then detected by BoardDiag, restored with the 16GB folder from the thread you linked, and LineageOS installed

Glad you got it working and it's nice to know how you did it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader / fastboot, brick, nexus 5, qdl

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)