FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Display drains battery in no time - hardware issue?

66 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By YassinTP, Member on 12th February 2018, 08:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
As I just sent my Galaxy S7 back to Samsung for repairs, I had to break out my trusty red Nexus 5 again. I got it up and running with Oreo 8.1 in no time (thanks to the xda community, as always) and so far, it's holding up well for a four-and-a-half year smartphone. Only the issue why I originally replaced it still annoys me, and that's the battery.

Whenever the phone is sitting around, it barely uses any battery - it can be sitting around for over one hour, WiFi and BT on, getting notifications etc., but the battery maybe loses one percent. If I have a phone call, I maybe lose 1% every 5 minutes or so - that's still fine by me. However, as soon as I am "using" the phone and keeping the display on to read emails, text, or browse the web, the battery plummets and I can use up 10% in 10 minutes.

It almost seems like there is a hardware issue with my display causing the extreme power usage. I am on my fourth battery - the first one was replaced with one from ebay (said "original, but you never know) when it didn't last over a day anymore, that improved it for two months or so before it degraded again. Then I decided to spend 40€ on a genuine one directly ordered from LG's spare parts site, but that also only held up for four months or so - and now I'm using a battery from ebay again which has been used for maybe a month (and then sitting around, being charged occasionally), but I struggle to make it until 6 pm without recharging.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong with my phone? Could it actually be an issue with the display itself?

Thanks!

14th February 2018, 12:29 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 4,945

More
Could be the ROM that is causing the battery drain. Maybe try it on a stock ROM?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)