A fix for the yellow-ish display

782 posts
Thanks Meter: 176

By jtc276, Senior Member on 6th November 2013, 03:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th November 2013, 12:25 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have 3 from top to bottom 16g from virgin mobile Canada and the other 2 are 32g from playstore. 16g has the best screen whites look nice only issue is that i have 2 dead pixels not sure if its only the 32g suffering from yellow tint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	2388713  
The Following User Says Thank You to nour85 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nour85 Ad-Free
13th November 2013, 01:46 AM |#102  
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Just recieved the replacement 32GB and now I want to return my 16GB as well because the new 32GB's white level comparing to both the old 32GB and the 16GB is very obvious.

Left: Old 32GB
Center: New 32GB
Right: 16GB

http://i.imgur.com/WLR2AKo.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N5_3x3_side_by_side.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	2388811  
13th November 2013, 02:49 AM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Im getting my replacement on thursday hopefully its like yours. Question does ur replacement have any dead stuck pixels ?
13th November 2013, 03:00 AM |#104  
Flag NY

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nour85

Im getting my replacement on thursday hopefully its like yours. Question does ur replacement have any dead stuck pixels ?

Not that I can see.
13th November 2013, 09:45 AM |#105  
Flag Barletta
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nour85

I tried that it helps but navbar is not transparent anymore

Yes, this is a problem. What is your configuration?
13th November 2013, 10:20 AM |#106  

More
Got my replacement 32GB

It's still a warm-ish screen, but it looks as it should to my eye, and not like it was soak dried in piss like the first one

13th November 2013, 10:22 AM |#107  
Flag Barletta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffspab

Got my replacement 32GB

It's still a warm-ish screen, but it looks as it should to my eye, and not like it was soak dried in piss like the first one

guys try kernel franco, set your colors http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=47410536 # post47410536
13th November 2013, 11:49 AM |#108  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganno

guys try kernel franco, set your colors http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=47410536 # post47410536

I flashed franco kernel and can definitely notice a difference. But where can we set the colors? The white that i see now definitely has some blue tint now :P
13th November 2013, 11:55 AM |#109  
Flag Barletta

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by prgopala

I flashed franco kernel and can definitely notice a difference. But where can we set the colors? The white that i see now definitely has some blue tint now :P

Not is possible
13th November 2013, 12:02 PM |#110  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganno

Not is possible

Ok. Not that i am that bothered too much. Just would have to grow a liking to this 'white' now since the original whites were a little washed out for me but i was not complaining since i liked that as well. Was not that yellow and was pleasing to the eye.
13th November 2013, 01:56 PM |#111  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 458

More
I suspect this is just anecdotal but when comparing the black model with the white one, I noticed that the screen on the white one was less warm in color temp. The difference, while noticeable, was not that great however, but pretty easy to spot. Does anyone else have both models with which to compare?

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Law

I find it hilarious that people think an RMA is going to fix color calibration.

Folks, the screen's not yellow. It's warm. A good color calibrated display SHOULD be warm. Many phones and low quality (TN panel) computer screens are calibrated towards an extremely blue white point.

This may "look" more white, but here's the problem. You know where else you see those ultra-blue whites? Those big old flourescent lights. Yes, that's right, you're demanding that your phone look more like the sickly blue-white that offices have been infected with for decades.

The reason warm temperature colors are preferred for color accuracy is because that's how most of us see light. The sun, being the most significant producer of light on earth, is not a blue-white. It's a yellow-orange white. By aiming at a warmer color temperature, photos and movies will look much more like the real world. It's also easier and less straining on the eyes.

Finally, the reason it may seem to "fade" is simply perception. As you get used to the screen looking warmer than you're accustomed to, it'll perceptibly seem less warm, even if it's not. Trying to compare from memory is frankly the most unscientific and unreliable method of comparing anything. Your brain simply doesn't retain detail like that. The only way to appropriately measure it is to use a color meter. No, photos won't cut it, your camera must also make choices on color temperature and it can get it very wrong.

Very nice. I would also add that when people take photos of their phones with cameras, the camera must decide the proper white balance for each photo. So, the photographer adds yet another variable into the mix, and there is no real good way to manually set the white balance against something that is producing its own light! So, if a camera decides that the white of one phone is correct and the other not, the phone not chosen will look abnormally colder or warmer on the photo than the one the camera deemed as the correct white point. The point being, you can't simply take a photo of your phone and show us how "yellow" your screen is. It just doesn't work like that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)