FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Does flashing International D821 modem to US D820 (Nexus5) enable D821 LTE bands?

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By ameer456, Junior Member on 2nd November 2013, 11:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi
I'm planning to purchase US version of nexus 5 from playstore because it is much cheaper than the international one
But what stopping me right now is that it doesn't support 1800 MHz LTE (Band 3), so for me it will be only on HSDPA+

If I flash the modem firmware of the international version to US one, Does it enable the international bands?
I'm supposed that the 2 models share the same internal.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ameer456 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ameer456 Ad-Free
3rd November 2013, 12:04 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 4,214

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameer456

Hi
I'm planning to purchase US version of nexus 5 from playstore because it is much cheaper than the international one
But what stopping me right now is that it doesn't support 1800 MHz LTE (Band 3), so for me it will be only on HSDPA+

If I flash the modem firmware of the international version to US one, Does it enable the international bands?
I'm supposed that the 2 models share the same internal.

Was wondering about this also, i ordered a 32GB N5 from the US through a friend but it supports different LTE bands. If i had the phone i would certainly try to flash the radio and let you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gee2012 Ad-Free
3rd November 2013, 12:24 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

More
According to leaked manual (that for D820 international one) The chip that handle LTE bands are: WTR1605L (Qualcomm) which support 7 bands
What I thought, is that google did choose 7 bands for US , and another 7 for the rest of the world:

LG-D820 (North American Model): LTE bands 2/4/5/17/25/26/41
LG-D821 (International Model): LTE bands 1/3/5/7/8/20/41

But the question, is that a change on a system level or at hardware level?
3rd November 2013, 12:32 AM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen

More
Quote:

According to leaked manual (that for D820 international one) The chip that handle LTE bands are: WTR1605L (Qualcomm) which support 7 bands
What I thought, is that google did choose 7 bands for US , and another 7 for the rest of the world:

LG-D820 (North American Model): LTE bands 2/4/5/17/25/26/41
LG-D821 (International Model): LTE bands 1/3/5/7/8/20/41

But the question, is that a change on a system level or at hardware level?

I think its a hardware level and the bands are predetermined cause the Google factory images are the same afaik. So changing LTE bands support is probably not possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gee2012 Ad-Free
3rd November 2013, 02:42 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 519

More
If this was possible Google would just have one model. The fact that they had to split phones to cover most of the world is obviously a hardware limitation.

Sent from my Nexus 4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to obsanity For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift obsanity Ad-Free
3rd November 2013, 10:07 AM |#6  
Sydney
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Chipset problems
Nexus 4 Transceiver chipset is Qualcom WTR1605L, same as Nexus 5 and it still DID NOT support all LTE bands.

Apparently you need PAs (Power Amplifiers) for certain bands accompanied with modems too. This shall increase battery consumption in return, this is why Google couldn't support all LTE bands on their D820 editions.

The Avago ACPM-7251 chipset is the PA of the Nexus 4, supported two UCMTS/LTE bands 1 & 5 - this is how some users were able to flash Nexus 4 devices and lock on LTE bands in Canada - and It totally depends on the PA of the D820, which we still don't know what it's going to be.

Please check the tear-down of the Nexus 4.

Conclusion: It's a hardware problem and CAN NOT be simply fixed by flashing the ROM; but we still have to wait and see the new PA of the device.
The Following User Says Thank You to mickey.shehata For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mickey.shehata Ad-Free
3rd November 2013, 11:16 AM |#7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Quote:

Hi

Slightly off topic, but how is it cheaper? You'll have to pay import tax on the US one if you ship it internationally, so it ends up more expensive...?

Seems you're making it a lot harder for yourself. Just buy the right one for your region as it'll cost the same and you'll have a valid warranty.
3rd November 2013, 11:19 AM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiTails

Slightly off topic, but how is it cheaper? You'll have to pay import tax on the US one if you ship it internationally, so it ends up more expensive...?

Seems you're making it a lot harder for yourself. Just buy the right one for your region as it'll cost the same and you'll have a valid warranty.

Not quite true, a 16GB N5 costs 399 euro`s in the Netherlands and i ordered a US 32GB model by a friend wich will cost me 370 euro`s total including shipping.
3rd November 2013, 11:39 AM |#9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 146

More
But you've only achieved that price by evading import tax into the EU by going via your friend.
You could've got it for nothing if you stole it.. doesn't mean it's the 'cheapest' way
3rd November 2013, 11:43 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey.shehata

Nexus 4 Transceiver chipset is Qualcom WTR1605L, same as Nexus 5 and it still DID NOT support all LTE bands.

Apparently you need PAs (Power Amplifiers) for certain bands accompanied with modems too. This shall increase battery consumption in return, this is why Google couldn't support all LTE bands on their D820 editions.

The Avago ACPM-7251 chipset is the PA of the Nexus 4, supported two UCMTS/LTE bands 1 & 5 - this is how some users were able to flash Nexus 4 devices and lock on LTE bands in Canada - and It totally depends on the PA of the D820, which we still don't know what it's going to be.

Please check the tear-down of the Nexus 4.

Conclusion: It's a hardware problem and CAN NOT be simply fixed by flashing the ROM; but we still have to wait and see the new PA of the device.

i thought PAs were for different frequencies not bands
3rd November 2013, 11:48 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiTails

But you've only achieved that price by evading import tax into the EU by going via your friend.
You could've got it for nothing if you stole it.. doesn't mean it's the 'cheapest' way

My heart is bleeding for the Dutch Revenue Service The second sentence in your post is just plain nonsense.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)