Gravity sensor suddenly stopped working

Search This thread

starless72

Jan 27, 2010
Hi, it appears that recently the gravity sensor in my Nexus 5 stopped working.
At least it is what it seems by using sensor testing apps. And this makes it impossible for the phone to get its orientation (compass is not working).
Screen rotation is still working fine though.

Here is what happened exactly: not long ago I was using Google Maps, but the phone was a bit sluggish so I decided to reboot it.
After rebooting I opened Google Maps again and immediately noticed that the orientation indicator was missing (the blue "beam"), while it was present before the reboot. But I didn't care about it, and just thought that the compass needed re-calibration.

After a few days the orientation indicator was still missing, and the phone never asked me to re-calibrate, as it used to do before instead.

Then one day I launched Google Sky Map, and noticed that the view does not rotate automatically.

So I fired up a sensor test app I had installed (asd.vector.sensor), and no data is displayed for the Gravity sensor. Also orientation is not displayed and the info says that the gravity sensor is used to compute orientation, too.
Other sensors are ok, and as I already wrote screen rotation still works great.

Any clues about this issue? Did anyone ever experience this?
I'm afraid a system restore would not help...

I'm using Resurrection Remix ROM, Android 6.0.1.

Thanks.

starless72

Jan 27, 2010
If the problem exists on a stock ROM, it could be a hardware fault.

Ok yes, but I still do not know if it exists on a stock ROM.
Taking it the other way around... Do you think there is real possibility that it is a software fault?
I mean: did it ever occur to anyone? Is there really any hope that resetting my phone to stock will fix this?
I HATE having to reset my phone... :eek:

Thank you.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I stopped using custom roms a while ago because of minor problems that would suddenly appear.

I don't think there is a way to really tell if it is software or hardware unless you reset or use a stock ROM.

Reactions: starless72

starless72

Jan 27, 2010
Ok, I restored the phone to stock and all sensors work again now!
Thanks audit13 for pushing me in that direction ;).

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
That's great that it was a software bug in the custom ROM.

Now you get to hunt for a custom ROM that works with a minimal or zero number of issues :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I stopped using custom roms a while ago because of minor problems that would suddenly appear.

I don't think there is a way to really tell if it is software or hardware unless you reset or use a stock ROM.