Lte and battery power

Search This thread

ckavvouras

Sep 12, 2012
Montreal
I'm curious about switching from lte to 3g, will i really save any battery? Or do I need to install a custom modem?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I'm curious about switching from lte to 3g, will i really save any battery? Or do I need to install a custom modem?

i get my best battery life on lte. i had the n4, it doesnt officially come with lte, but can be enabled. anyways, as soon as i started using lte on my n4, i gained an hour of screen on time as opposed to using 3G(hspa+). i want from 4 hours screen on time, to 5 hours. and on my nexus 5, i use lte exclusively, i dont even ever use wifi, and i see 5-6 hours screen on time every day. then again, it would depend on your signal quality.

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
In my house I have 4/4 bars signal with H and 2/4 bars with LTE.

In that case LTE is still the best option?

Sent from my Nexus 5

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

Sent from my Nexus 5

it can be. generally, when using data, lte is more efficient. it spends less time downloading/uploading, therefor uses less battery. if data speeds are better using lte than they are with your 3g, then lte would be better to use.

Reactions: thesebastian

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
The fastest connection with the best signal should save you the most battery.

Wifi is much shorter range so needs less power to maintain a connection. Considering most people have fast Wifi it will usually be the most efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

samkent6

Dec 30, 2012
I had the best battery on LTE when I went to London for a few days. Gained a hour screen on time easily with very strong coverage throughout most of central London apart from the underground obviously lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
i did an experiment on lte/3G battery life in the trinity thread a few days ago, same usage and setup. on lte i had 5.5h sot, on 3G(h/h+) i had 4.5h sot. using lte gains me an hour sot, using 3G i lose an hour sot.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
i did an experiment on lte/3G battery life in the trinity thread a few days ago, same usage and setup. on lte i had 5.5h sot, on 3G(h/h+) i had 4.5h sot. using lte gains me an hour sot, using 3G i lose an hour sot.

When using a 3G connection does it constantly jump between 3G and H+ for you also? Seems to be based on load and I'm assuming normal operation.

I need to keep testing this but lately I am finding 3G/H+ (7-15Mbps) connection to be similar in battery use to my older wireless G (15Mbps) network.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
When using a 3G connection does it constantly jump between 3G and H+ for you also? Seems to be based on load and I'm assuming normal operation.

I need to keep testing this but lately I am finding 3G/H+ (7-15Mbps) connection to be similar in battery use to my older wireless G (15Mbps) network.

for me it jumps from h to h+ when i access data, but thats how its supposed to work. the 3G/H will be used when not needing to access data, H+ will be used when accessing data, unless H+ isnt available. besides that, it doesnt jump back and forth at all.

Reactions: bblzd

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
In my case I'm having better battery with HSPA than with LTE.

The thing is...here in my house I have yellow/brown 4G signal and green 3G signal.

In a long deep sleep time (at nights) 4G consumes a bit more than 3G.
But during the day the difference is a little more significant.

I can get 4 hours of SoT with 3G. But 3 hours with LTE (or 3 hours and half).

I'm pretty sure that with a perfect LTE signal I would even have better battery life (like almost 5 hours of SoT).
But here is still experimental.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i get my best battery life on lte. i had the n4, it doesnt officially come with lte, but can be enabled. anyways, as soon as i started using lte on my n4, i gained an hour of screen on time as opposed to using 3G(hspa+). i want from 4 hours screen on time, to 5 hours. and on my nexus 5, i use lte exclusively, i dont even ever use wifi, and i see 5-6 hours screen on time every day. then again, it would depend on your signal quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5

it can be. generally, when using data, lte is more efficient. it spends less time downloading/uploading, therefor uses less battery. if data speeds are better using lte than they are with your 3g, then lte would be better to use.

for me it jumps from h to h+ when i access data, but thats how its supposed to work. the 3G/H will be used when not needing to access data, H+ will be used when accessing data, unless H+ isnt available. besides that, it doesnt jump back and forth at all.