FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Two major issues with the Nexus 5 ambient light sensor

31 posts
Thanks Meter: 39

By Palmadores, Member on 22nd November 2013, 12:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1. The sensor reading often jumps to 30000lx momentarily, (measured using Lux Dash in Debug mode), and so the phone blinds you for while. This happens in a repeatable fashion when you hold the phone at certain angles. Try it yourself.

2. The N5 reads zero lux even in moderate/dim light, while my old N4 still reads around 10 lux. The N4 was much better as you could make a distinction between the dim light and no light at all.
On the new N5 you have to set the zero lux level so it's bright enought for moderate light, which means it's far too bright at night.

Why is the N5 sensor so poor? Or is the kernel? Really, this is pretty basic stuff. Come on Google, we want the autobrightness to work fine without having to download apps to try and fix the most basic settings.

(As per other threads, the N5 stock autobrightness is almost unusable!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Palmadores For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Palmadores Ad-Free

22nd November 2013, 07:24 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same here. Only occurs in the kitchen under the spotlights. I've had 2 phones and the same has happened on both using lux.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
22nd November 2013, 07:52 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,336

More
Happy to see others having this issue as well. I always figured it was a Kitkat bug.
23rd November 2013, 11:39 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I had some dead pixels on my first N5, so I got a replacement. The replacement is now exhibiting this weird sensor issue (also spiking up to 30,000lux based on device orientation).
24th November 2013, 10:05 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I have the same issue on my N5, sudden freak peaks of 15000 lux or more, then suddenly back to normal values of 50-80. Same behavior on stock kernel and Francos Kernel.
Hoping for a quick fix by Google.
Kusie
28th November 2013, 11:03 PM |#6  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 93

More
I'm having the same issue too, but it appears to be under certain lightbulbs that I have this issue. For example in 2 different situations, one I was in a restaurant and another while I was in my bathroom, and my phone would constantly pick up either 0 lux or 30000 lux (depending on the angle of the phone under the light). This is under halogen lighting.

When I get out of the restaurant and under regular lighting and when I'm in my bedroom (LED/CCFL lights), the light sensor would behave normally.

Anyone else have these issues?
7th December 2013, 02:50 PM |#7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 21

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria807

Anyone else have these issues?

Yes, and it's not really reproduceable for me but it's very annoying and sometimes painful. This screen can get very bright and it's blinded me in the dark when this happens.

Is it the light sensor? Is it LUX? Does this happen without lux installed?
7th December 2013, 03:59 PM |#8  
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Can the sensor be calibrated or is it just bad hardware? This is a real annoyance. My S4 doesn't read 0 lux unless there is absolutely zero and it never jumps around. Even it's own screen reflecting on my face will cause it to read 1-10. That level of sensitivity is great for setting up lux to go subzero. Maybe the kernel is translating the sensor voltage output incorrectly?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
7th December 2013, 04:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1,336

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaker07

Yes, and it's not really reproduceable for me but it's very annoying and sometimes painful. This screen can get very bright and it's blinded me in the dark when this happens.

Is it the light sensor? Is it LUX? Does this happen without lux installed?

Lux is a measurement of brightness.
7th December 2013, 06:50 PM |#10  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 93

More
I thought it was Lux causing it, but I have tried full wipe + reflashing a new rom, and my sensors still go a lil whack. This is flashing new rom + immediately downloading a sensor tool and checking the readings before installing Lux or any other apps.

However, Lux came out with a new version a week or so ago and it seems to have been waiving those spiked readings, so my phone atm isn't acting up super dim to super bright and back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aria807 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Aria807 Ad-Free
11th December 2013, 10:11 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I still have this issue on 4.2.2.,very annoying. Is this a software issue or bad sensors?
Starts to piss me off so badly I think about sending my N5 back to google.

Happens both on stock auto brightness and yaab.

Help please?
Kusie
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)