FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Win Honor 9 Lite

Meltdown and Spectre risks

674 posts
Thanks Meter: 77
 
By maybeme2, Senior Member on 5th January 2018, 02:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
If you are still running an outdated os like Android 6.0.1, is there any option to patch against Meltdown and Spectre other than moving to the latest Android versions?
 
 
5th January 2018, 03:43 PM |#2  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,124
 
Donate to Me
More
The nexus 5 is no longer supported by Google so even moving to the latest available andriod version isn't going to help you. Maybe Google will provide a patch for older devices but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jd1639 Ad-Free
6th January 2018, 01:55 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Thanks. So the only remaining option is buying a new phone. Had to happen sooner or later.

Now comes the dilemma of deciding which one to get ..... or just ignoring the threat since I'm not likely to be a target of the nsa or similar caliber hackers.
6th January 2018, 01:56 PM |#4  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,124
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeme2

Thanks. So the only remaining option is buying a new phone. Had to happen sooner or later.

Now comes the dilemma of deciding which one to get ..... or just ignoring the threat since I'm not likely to be a target of the nsa or similar caliber hackers.

The risk to an android device is very low according to Google. If that helps you decide on a course forward.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jd1639 Ad-Free
6th January 2018, 02:12 PM |#5  
TheIronLefty's Avatar
Member
Flag Tbilisi
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
i dont think our cpus at risk, we dont have any Cortex cores which are spectre risks(Cortex-A75, Cortex-A73, Cortex-A72, Cortex-A57-, Cortex-A17, and Cortex-A9). we have Krait 400 cores.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronLefty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheIronLefty Ad-Free
7th January 2018, 04:01 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronLefty

i dont think our cpus at risk, we dont have any Cortex cores which are spectre risks(Cortex-A75, Cortex-A73, Cortex-A72, Cortex-A57-, Cortex-A17, and Cortex-A9). we have Krait 400 cores.

Well that is good to know.
Thanks.
13th January 2018, 12:13 PM |#7  
Maxx_Yamano's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Thane
Thanks Meter: 49
 
More
However, Even if our devices are outdated still I am sure if there's a risk of spectre then Google will surely provide us a security patch... Hope so this spectre will be out of web soon as our dear Google, Microsoft , AMD ,Apple(lol only if you have a apple product) , Nividia , Samsung ..... And soo well I wish no one gets data leak. May God bless everyone ⌛ FIX is close though..
13th January 2018, 07:28 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronLefty

i dont think our cpus at risk, we dont have any Cortex cores which are spectre risks(Cortex-A75, Cortex-A73, Cortex-A72, Cortex-A57-, Cortex-A17, and Cortex-A9). we have Krait 400 cores.

Looks like Qualcomm just admitted that they are exposed [ref1]. They won't name which chipsets or which CPUs in those chipsets are affected. It's my understanding that Krait has speculative [ref3] execution and was designed as a clone of Cortex-A15, which is affected by spectre [ref2]. So to summarize my opinion:

Vunerabilities
Meltdown : No
Spectre: Possibly

ref1: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...lnerabilities/
ref2: https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update
ref3: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp2-pa...pectre/36754/4
The Following User Says Thank You to d4n13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift d4n13 Ad-Free
14th January 2018, 05:14 AM |#9  
Maxx_Yamano's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Thane
Thanks Meter: 49
 
More
Even if we don't recieve any patch then still we get it in android 8.1 custom ROM ?? For nexus 5 ?? So we must chill down & wait let's see what Google gives us if no then move to android 8.1 custom ROM ....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes