Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 5 / Android 4.4 Stock Email App - Sync issues

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By truedni, Junior Member on 4th November 2013, 09:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

Moved from a Galaxy S3 to a Nexus 5.

Everything is working great, with the exception of the stock Email app syncing with an Exchange account.

I connect to a zimbra server using the same settings as on he gs3. I connect fine and get all my email loaded. The issue is that syncing of the inbox doesn't work. Sub folders seem to but the main inbox will not even manually sync.

I have cleared the caches, removed and re-added the mail account and I still have the same issue. I can send emails fine. I have also factory reset the phone and still have same prob. Syncing is ticked in every possible setting and my gmail app push syncs fine.

Any ideas? I am at a loss and need my company email as I work on call in the evening and weekends.

Thanks!!

5th November 2013, 12:59 AM |#2  
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have the same problem with my N5. My exchange email account would start working again if I force it to re-verify the account settings. But after a while, it would stop working.

I've been using Nexus phones since Nexus One. This is the first time we see an update on the default email app. But it doesn't look like Google has done a great job verifying/QA their app before releasing it to public.

I'm thinking to open up an official support case with Google support if you haven't already done so.
5th November 2013, 06:28 AM |#3  
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Actually, haven't you tried changing the Security Type in Incoming settings from "SSL/TLS" to "SSL/TLS (Accept all certificates)"? I just changed it on mine, and waiting to see if it helps resolve the issue.
5th November 2013, 07:01 AM |#4  
Flag Breitenfurt
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I'm having issues with stock email client and company exchange, too.

When set to push, as i usually did on the n4, it won't let the n5 properly go to sleep, but phone keeps awake, and consuming quite a lot of battery overnight.

Sync also has stopped yesterday, but started again 2 hours later, therefore I'm not sure wether it's the n5's or exchange's fault.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383634678378.jpg
Views:	2065
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2372170   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1383634696757.jpg
Views:	1911
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2372171  
5th November 2013, 08:18 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks for your replies. Yes I have tried this, I have tried every security method (except none, which defaults to SSL/TLS anyways).

I notice if I look under Accounts > Corporate and then my Exchange account, the sync / cancel sync animation is on a constant loop. My S3, for example, just sais 'Last sync at xxxx'. etc. Do you guys notice this also?

Something deff not right with this. How do you log a ticket with Google support? I have tried with Google Groups but getting no response.

Thanks.
5th November 2013, 09:06 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same problem here. Refreshes fine when I manually sync but push is not working. Was working fine on my Galaxy Nexus/Jellybean
5th November 2013, 09:45 AM |#7  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 157

More
I'm not experiencing any of these issues, my sync is working fine, as is the app and battery usage

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
5th November 2013, 10:24 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have had to move off the stock app and onto K9. My problem is that the stock app is deleting emails from the server when deleted from the phone, even when I make sure it is set never to do so. My account is a POP account and I have never had this problem with any other app on any other device. I tried recreating the account but it was the same problem.
5th November 2013, 10:47 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 113

More
6 people in the company I work for got a Nexus 5. I tried to set up one of their email accounts yesterday, but it wouldn't do anything. It seemed like it accepted the account, but it wouldn't sync any old mail, and it wouldn't notify about new mail. New mail would only show up about 15 minutes after being sent, and only after the inbox was manually refreshed.

Tried K9 mail. Same thing. I have never had any luck with K9 mail, though.

I'm hoping Google fixes this rather quickly. I'm a developer and I need my work email to always be available, because I am essentially on-call all day.

It seems like Google, in their rush to get KitKat out, did way less QA this time around than they have in the past.
5th November 2013, 11:06 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas_s

6 people in the company I work for got a Nexus 5. I tried to set up one of their email accounts yesterday, but it wouldn't do anything. It seemed like it accepted the account, but it wouldn't sync any old mail, and it wouldn't notify about new mail. New mail would only show up about 15 minutes after being sent, and only after the inbox was manually refreshed.

Tried K9 mail. Same thing. I have never had any luck with K9 mail, though.

I'm hoping Google fixes this rather quickly. I'm a developer and I need my work email to always be available, because I am essentially on-call all day.

It seems like Google, in their rush to get KitKat out, did way less QA this time around than they have in the past.

This is similar to what I am seeing. After initial sync, I would never get any new messages. Check your subfolders if you have any, these seem to sync fine.

Whats the process to raise this with Google?
5th November 2013, 11:14 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 113

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by truedni

This is similar to what I am seeing. After initial sync, I would never get any new messages. Check your subfolders if you have any, these seem to sync fine.

Whats the process to raise this with Google?

Subfolders were not syncing for me yesterday, however, I'll have to wait until my phone comes in today to really test this. Most of the people I work with don't set up their subfolders correctly in Zimbra because they can never get the filtering to work, and I am always too busy to do it for them. As a result, they make subfolders, but just drag-and-drop what they want in that subfolder from the main inbox-- an utter pain in the ass.

In 4.3, "Take Bug Report" is one of the choiced under Developer Options. If that is still present in 4.4, that would probably be the best place to do it.

If that doesn't work, there is always this: http://source.android.com/source/report-bugs.html
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)