Nexus 5 on Cricket Wireless

97 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By FunDionysus, Member on 13th January 2015, 05:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Initiating a new thread as Cricket WIreless has succeeded AIO

Nexus 5 on AIO wireless thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...read-t2598309/

I see Cricket is advertising new prepaid plans including a 10GB per month data plan (Pro plan with AutoPay at $55/month). And SIM's are $0.99 (for a limited time). I assume no activation fee.

Since all of StraightTalk's plans only support 3GB data per month (throttled thereafter) I'm considering moving from ST to Cricket. I assume they operate on the exact same network (AT&T) so I assume there should have no coverage differences. Is that a good assumption?

Can anyone please post the APN info for CricketWireless?

Anyone else change from StraightTalk to Cricket? Any issues to report?

13th January 2015, 06:46 AM |#2  
Flag Ansonia
Thanks Meter: 427

More
Straight talk has 4g... I used to use them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
13th January 2015, 07:11 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ken31

Straight talk has 4g... I used to use them.

The "3GB" in the OP refers to the per month "high-speed allowance" (data).
13th January 2015, 07:45 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Cricket Wireless referral
Can anyone PM me for a referral?
13th January 2015, 04:36 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 285

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunDionysus

Can anyone PM me for a referral?

Sent.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I was going to include the APN in this post. I'll just edit it in.

Quote:

Name: Internet
APN: ndo
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 150
Authentication type: Not Set
APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl

The Following User Says Thank You to Johmama For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Johmama Ad-Free
13th January 2015, 08:00 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
The correct APN settings are on their website. Can't post the link because low post count. Just search their site for "apn" and it will show up.

I switched to Cricket from Straight Talk (AT&T) last summer and don't regret it one bit. My bill is a flat $35/mo, coverage is great, no issues with SMS/MMS (my main reason for ditching ST). They just upped the low tier limit to 1GB from 500MB, but I'm on WiFi 99% of the time so it didn't matter much to me anyway.

Aio's capped speeds still apply, 8Mbps for LTE, 4Mbps for HSPA+. After you hit the data cap those speeds are 128Kbps and 64Kbps. I've only hit my cap twice, and my phone was still usable on LTE. You can purchase an extra GB for $10 as many times as you want.

Their account app actually works, customer service is top notch (the other reason I ditched ST).

If you're not a speed queen, and are in an area with good AT&T coverage I would absolutely take Cricket over ST.
The Following User Says Thank You to eunichron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eunichron Ad-Free
13th January 2015, 08:59 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I've had Aio/Cricket for a while now. Overall, I'm satisfied. My biggest issue is the occasional MMS outage and the lack of any kind of communication about it.
14th January 2015, 02:56 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
One year ago I had cricket wireless on a Huawei Android phone. I live in Florida and the data rates were pathetic, seriously between 40kbit and 120kbit.

However, Muve Music app was decent. Can't believe they are selling it to Deezer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
14th January 2015, 11:03 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Thanks for the info above.

Follow-up questions. Any observations regards to how well Cricket works with Hangouts and/or Google Voice?

And any issues with tethering on Cricket?

I could sign up for a month to test myself, but I want to port my number at the same time I sign up for Cricket. I've heard there are problems porting phone numbers from ST to Cricket if you try to do it later (I'm employing extra caution as I've never previously ported a number).
14th January 2015, 04:39 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunDionysus

Thanks for the info above.

Follow-up questions. Any observations regards to how well Cricket works with Hangouts and/or Google Voice?

And any issues with tethering on Cricket?

I could sign up for a month to test myself, but I want to port my number at the same time I sign up for Cricket. I've heard there are problems porting phone numbers from ST to Cricket if you try to do it later (I'm employing extra caution as I've never previously ported a number).

Hangouts and Google Voice work fine for me. As well as any other carrier. Cricket doesn't officially support tethering, but I have had no issues doing it with a small change in the settings DB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soti07 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Soti07 Ad-Free
14th January 2015, 08:48 PM |#11  
Flag Wichita KS
Thanks Meter: 339

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eunichron

Their account app actually works, customer service is top notch (the other reason I ditched ST).

I disagree. CS has been far from top notch. Wait times were horrible and I got disconnected multiple times to resolve a billing issue where my debit card didn't have an address or name associated with it so it got denied but still went through as pending and didn't have phone service because of it. I called in a total of about 10 times on a Sunday and each time I got hung up on or the call dropped.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrObvious For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrObvious Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
at&t, cricket wireless, nexus 5

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)