Nexus 5 Screen Freeze

Search This thread

biggiephat

May 27, 2010
Was at about 30% battery and the screen froze as in it wouldn't take any touch events. The backlight would react as if the screen wasn't touched. It seems like the touch events just were not registering but the phone worked in the background. Kernel issue maybe? I have been using faux.

elgordo595

Jan 26, 2011
Something similar ....

I had a similar experience on the 15th .... took my N5 off the Qi charger and the screen froze when i tried to unlock it.
I hit the power button and was able to unlock and get a few touches in before it froze again.

I was finally able (after much screen off/on cycles) to get down to the developer options and turn on show touches & show cpu usage.
... background processes looked fairly normal when the screen was frozen(touches showed as frozen) ...

I was rooted, stock rom except for xda user Jishnu Sur's N5 camera mod and running a couple tried & true root apps(Stickmount & QuickBoot). Thought some software issue might be jamming up the digitizer i/o causing it to freeze.

Reverted entirely to stock (the Team Win recovery was also experiencing screen freeze - buttons worked fine) including removing TRWP and re-locking the boot loader!!
The screen freezing problem persists ... my conclusion is that it's a hardware issue. :crying:

It's possible you are seeing the same thing, but I haven't seen anything in the forums to indicate it's a widespread problem.:confused:

Returning it for a replacement phone ... :fingers-crossed:

canaillou2k5

Jun 10, 2013
Hi,

same problem here from France.

I already returned a Nexus 5, after multiple freeze I tried to format data partition via bootloader, (no rooted phone, following google instructions for stock reset) then the phone crash wile formatting, it never wake up gain.

When I get a new one from google after one or two week same problem appears, and it's append more and more often, since monday my phone crash one time more every night, and all the day today.

A this time I'm still trying to load it sine I came back from work seven hour ago, battery still at 49%.

I think it's and hardware issue too.

I'm very disappointed about Google and I'll never by anymore LG products.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Was at about 30% battery and the screen froze as in it wouldn't take any touch events. The backlight would react as if the screen wasn't touched. It seems like the touch events just were not registering but the phone worked in the background. Kernel issue maybe? I have been using faux.

Freezes tend to happen on custom kernels specially if you under-volt it too much. have you done that?

joannn

Feb 5, 2014
Screen Freeze

Hi,

same problem here from France.

I already returned a Nexus 5, after multiple freeze I tried to format data partition via bootloader, (no rooted phone, following google instructions for stock reset) then the phone crash wile formatting, it never wake up gain.

When I get a new one from google after one or two week same problem appears, and it's append more and more often, since monday my phone crash one time more every night, and all the day today.

A this time I'm still trying to load it sine I came back from work seven hour ago, battery still at 49%.

I think it's and hardware issue too.

I'm very disappointed about Google and I'll never by anymore LG products.

Thanks for reading.
Last week I had the same problem with my new NEXUS 5. IT’S TOTALLY A HARDWARE ISSUE.
LG products are however not so bad in the JAPAN market but still we are expecting a lot from LG technology.:(

arcane493

Apr 3, 2014
LG services suck.

I am facing the same problem with my Nexus 5. Unrooted, bought 7 months back from India itself, was working fine till around two weeks back,when the lags, screen freeze, blacking out n all appeared. Got it repaired twice at the LG centre. They changed the front display touchpad as well as the charging connector strip. The problem still persists.

Last edited: