FORUMS

Restoring /persist partition

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By DerEmryz, Member on 4th October 2015, 08:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey all.

I covered all threads here which mention the /persist partition, but nothing seems to help me. I come from Stock-Rom 5.1.1. LMY48M, was rooted. Origin of my Problem was that suddenly my wifi was stuck in "activating", as mentioned in this thread. Sadly, nothing in there helped resolve my issue, so i found a thread in another forum suggesting to fix and then edit some files in the /persistent partition.

Long story short, obviously i don't have most of the files which apparently should be in there. To be accurate, it is empty. Now i don't know if this command did that:

Code:
e2fsck /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/persist
This is the Thread i got it from.

Either way, after I found out that the folder is empty, I tried this guide to restore at least my wifi/mac-address files in /persistent - but after a reboot my newly created files are gone and the /persistent partition is empty again.

I tried numerous factory resets, reflashing stock rom, flashing custom roms and custom kernels, flashing every image manually, everything there is to my knowlede.

I thought the /persistent partition gets overwritten if i flash everything new on my phone, but apparently it does not.

So, how do I restore it? I know, this is a long shot, it could well be that my mainboard is kill, but i want to try everything.

Every tip would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to DerEmryz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DerEmryz Ad-Free
4th October 2015, 09:48 PM |#2  
Turin
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
I think that u have tryed to flash only the radio module... When i had lost my mac addres i solved by flashing a new radio

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk
5th October 2015, 09:51 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfysgol

I think that u have tryed to flash only the radio module... When i had lost my mac addres i solved by flashing a new radio

Tried that, but will try again. I update on the outcome.

Edit: Did not work.

Edit 2: Could somebody with a nexus 5 on stock rom maybe post an image of the files inside the /persistent partition? I would really like to know what should be inside.
Or maybe make a zip of them (if this can be done) for me to insert them in my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to DerEmryz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DerEmryz Ad-Free
5th October 2015, 04:42 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Were you prompted to fix the persist partition after e2fsck /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/persist ?
What problems do you have with the phone?
5th October 2015, 05:53 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eross

Were you prompted to fix the persist partition after e2fsck /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/persist ?
What problems do you have with the phone?

No, i was not prompted to fix it.
Problems are that my wifi is stuck on "activating", my SIM-Card occasinally is not recognized, and the whole phone freezes when i try to activate/press the wifi button in the quicksettings.

Problems started 3 days ago, when wifi occasionally went on and off for minutes to hours, but since yesterday nothing works anymore. I even cooled the phone in the refrigerator (i somewhere read that it may help, and i was grasping at straws here as I'm on vacation, plus my phone was a little bit warm) - which strangely helped my issue for 3 full minutes - but now even my cooled phone does not work with wifi.

Does the radio.img actually write a new /persist partition? Or which image does it (if any)? Because afaik there should be files residing there which tell the phone my Wifi and Bluetooth Mac-Adresses. If I check them in Phone-Status in the Settings it says "not available".
6th October 2015, 04:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
The persist partition does not get written when flashing any image (hence the name persist).
In the persist partition fix guide it states that you should be prompted to fix it, and from my experince that's what happens. You can also try the make command that is suggested in the guide. There is also a reference to fixing the wifi and BT files in that guide. Have you tried that?
6th October 2015, 11:20 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eross

The persist partition does not get written when flashing any image (hence the name persist).
In the persist partition fix guide it states that you should be prompted to fix it, and from my experince that's what happens. You can also try the make command that is suggested in the guide. There is also a reference to fixing the wifi and BT files in that guide. Have you tried that?

yeah, I was afraid the name was no coincedence.

I followed the guide through, so i tried the make command. And I tried fixing the BT files and wifi files. The strange thing is, bluetooth is working ALTHOUGH the BT-Adress i created through the guide is NOT the same it states in the System-Information. So I don`t know if it worked (i was using ES File explorere with root.)

In the guide there is no mention of the other files and folders in /persist. There should be other folders (playready, sensors, widevine), but i don`t create those in the guide.
7th October 2015, 06:30 AM |#8  
Turin

Donate to Me
More
And what abuot spoofing your mac? Did u try?

7th October 2015, 10:21 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:

And what abuot spoofing your mac? Did u try?

Thanks, this Tip actually got me a bit farther. I installed busybox and a terminal app to follow this guide.

As i su'd and typed the first command
Code:
busybox iplink show eth0
I got
Code:
iplink: can't find device eth0
Same with wlan0 (which i tried just for the fun of it, although I just found out tht eth0 is indeed the wifi device).
Which brought me to
Code:
ifconfig
, and this lists only lo and rmnet0 as devices.

I would like to post a screenshot so the more tech-savvy people here could look over it, but my basic linux knowledge tells me that the device is not there, so it could be a hardware defect. Although I don't know if there could be a driver error, but i assume not.
7th October 2015, 11:09 AM |#10  
Turin

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerEmryz

Thanks, this Tip actually got me a bit farther. I installed busybox and a terminal app to follow this guide.

As i su'd and typed the first command

Code:
busybox iplink show eth0
I got
Code:
iplink: can't find device eth0
Same with wlan0 (which i tried just for the fun of it, although I just found out tht eth0 is indeed the wifi device).
Which brought me to
Code:
ifconfig
, and this lists only lo and rmnet0 as devices.

I would like to post a screenshot so the more tech-savvy people here could look over it, but my basic linux knowledge tells me that the device is not there, so it could be a hardware defect. Although I don't know if there could be a driver error, but i assume not.

Try with some apps

7th October 2015, 05:18 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Try with some apps

What do you mean? Could you elaborate?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread