FORUMS

Slow wifi on N5

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By t2002, Junior Member on 6th November 2013, 07:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
After being connected to WiFi for a while the wifi speeds drop to less than a quarter of their normal speeds, e.g. at home 6 Mbps drops to 1.4 Mbps. It is the same at work connecting to an enterprise level AP (although speed drop is 30 Mbps to about 5 so less of a problem).

I know it is device related as other devices tested at the same time are at the right speed.

Toggling WiFi off then on again returns everything to normal speed. Anyone else?

It's like it reverts to power saving mode. Didn't have this problem with my 4 or current N7.
6th November 2013, 07:27 AM |#2  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 305

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2002

After being connected to WiFi for a while the wifi speeds drop to less than a quarter of their normal speeds, e.g. at home 6 Mbps drops to 1.4 Mbps. It is the same at work connecting to an enterprise level AP (although speed drop is 30 Mbps to about 5 so less of a problem).

I know it is device related as other devices tested at the same time are at the right speed.

Toggling WiFi off then on again returns everything to normal speed. Anyone else?

It's like it reverts to power saving mode. Didn't have this problem with my 4 or current N7.

I haven't had your issue and I've been speed testing here and there all day.
Have you tried turning off wifi optimization under wifi/options?
6th November 2013, 07:41 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
I have turned that off now and rebooted. I turned this off the other day without rebooting and there was no difference but will see how this goes.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
6th November 2013, 08:09 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Made no difference. Got reduced speeds again.

6th November 2013, 08:45 AM |#5  
Flag Newcastle
Thanks Meter: 137

More
I had similar problems when my friend connected a Blackberry Z10 to my router, constantly dropping out after about half an hour of connection, so try this:

I found that my at the time SGS2, could only connect in 'g' mode, whereas her BB was connecting in 'n'. I believe this was confusing the crappy B.T. router I have, so I changed the settings of the router to only accept 'g' connections. Problem solved for me.

Worth a try anyway. Especially if the other devices connecting to your router are a bit older and only use a 'g' connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
6th November 2013, 10:52 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
There are no drops in WiFi, it just slows. All my other devices are N too.

6th November 2013, 11:45 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Odd, I don't have this problem. The wifi a runs at full speed even in low signal areas. Maybe it's something to do with the router?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
6th November 2013, 11:53 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
I have this on my home WiFi with both the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 5. Both are connected to 5GHz 802.11n on a dual-band Netgear N600/WNDR3700.

Performing a test just after boot, the speeds reported by Ookla's speed test app are:

Nexus 4: 46Mbps dl / 12Mbps ul
Nexus 5: 82Mbps dl / 12Mbps ul

After some period of time, the results (recalling from memory) change to:

Nexus 4: 2Mbps dl / 11Mbps ul
Nexus 5: 2Mbps dl / 11Mbps ul

If I switch off WiFi and then switch it back on again, each phone will then return to its previous higher speeds.

Never have figured out exactly what triggers the slow-down; my best guess is that it's something to do with the phone going into deep sleep, or perhaps related to power-saving functions on the router.

A Linux-based laptop is connected to the same AP and I don't notice any issue with that. Don't recall the Nexus 7 having any issues either (though that can only connect to the 2.4GHz radio).
6th November 2013, 11:58 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
I didn't notice this on my N4, but I never checked, and in retrospect I remember having some problems streaming video when you normally would think the connection would be OK. Will give Google a call.

The problem exists on my home router, an access point I also have in the house (different manufacturer) and at work (different again).

Have tried changing to 2.4 GHz only but no luck.

Thanks.

6th November 2013, 12:10 PM |#10  
London
Thanks Meter: 166

More
People had EXACTLY the same problem when Nexus 10 just came out.

If interested here is the thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2124485

Basically, google had to release a fix to solve this problem.
6th November 2013, 12:21 PM |#11  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I'm noticing slow WiFi as well on my Nexus 5, with Netgear APs at home.

Also the 4G is weird - here in the UK, upload remains strong but download is slower than other phones running the same speedtest from the same location and a fair bit slower.

Will hold off judgement for now though.

Got an ASUS router at work so gonna test that.

It will not see the 5GHZ band on my Netgear WNDR4500 at all though - then again neither will my Nexus 7 2013

(My Nexus 4 does see the 5GHZ band SSID however then again probably due to different WiFi chipset or something)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)