[Q] Strange signal problem

Search This thread

bpclarke

Nov 9, 2013
When I first got my Nexus 5 I thought Hangouts was a bit buggy. When sending texts (SMS) it would sometimes try and try to send texts to no avail and other times work fine. Signal in the notification bar was fine so I assumed there was something wrong with Hangouts.

Since then (after rooting the phone with CF auto root - don't think this has anything to to with the problem) I have noticed that at the times my phone won't send texts, in the setting pull down section it shows no signal whilst still showing signal in the notification bar. I have also noticed that mobile standby uses a large proportion of my battery.

I will upload screen shots from my phone soon.

The only thing I could think of that might be causing it is that the SIM card I'm using has been cut down from normal size to micro size.

I just wondered if anyone know's what's wrong or could suggest any fixes?

Thanks

bpclarke

Nov 9, 2013
Also forgot to mention turning Aeroplane Mode on and off seems to fix the problem temporarily which is why I don't think there's a problem with the SIM card.

Battery stats:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-09-16-50-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-09-16-50-19.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

bpclarke

Nov 9, 2013
Screen shots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-10-17-01-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-17-01-01.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2013-11-10-17-01-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-10-17-01-09.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Lownita

Jun 14, 2011
Germany
I observed something similar since unlocking and rooting with wugfresh toolkit yesterday. The mobile signal just drops completely for 10s, then comes back. Mostly happens a few minutes after boot. No idea what is going on there.

thunderstorm654

Nov 24, 2012
I observed something similar since unlocking and rooting with wugfresh toolkit yesterday. The mobile signal just drops completely for 10s, then comes back. Mostly happens a few minutes after boot. No idea what is going on there.

When I'm at home mines doing it constantly too, and I haven't rooted yet :(. There's not brilliant signal here, but forcing onto 2g mode worked absolutely fine on my nexus 4.I'm considering returning it, it must be something wrong with the phone, unless the firmware is dodgy?

Galvanized7

Nov 10, 2013
Just got the phone yesterday, and I have been experiencing the same problem while I was at work. I would turn the phone off and on again and the problem would be fixed, but then later would just stop working.
When I got home from work, (and ever since then) it has been fine. I am a little concerned.

Pens and DreamS

May 10, 2010
I to sometimes have this issue, and receiving texts late also. The weird thing is signal bars are still full...

alamarco

Jan 13, 2013
myfigurecollection.net
I have this same issue, it's really weird.

I was on a call and the call was fine. As soon as I hung up I looked at my phone and it said I had no signal, but my signal bar on the notification bar showed a fine signal. Very weird to see a good signal in the notification bar, but no signal in the toggle section.

I can get a signal back by either going into airplane mode, toggling back and forth between LTE and 3G or restarting the phone.

There's a thread on the Google forums here: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/T5ey4dttBOA

Although the last Google reply was referring to APN settings, however this seems to have been refuted by the users.

It would be nice to get this narrowed down between hardware and software. If it's hardware we'd obviously want to exchange.

This is a huge issue too since you can just be sitting around not knowing you have no signal.

jason27131

Dec 10, 2011
When I first got my Nexus 5 I thought Hangouts was a bit buggy. When sending texts (SMS) it would sometimes try and try to send texts to no avail and other times work fine. Signal in the notification bar was fine so I assumed there was something wrong with Hangouts.

Since then (after rooting the phone with CF auto root - don't think this has anything to to with the problem) I have noticed that at the times my phone won't send texts, in the setting pull down section it shows no signal whilst still showing signal in the notification bar. I have also noticed that mobile standby uses a large proportion of my battery.

I will upload screen shots from my phone soon.

The only thing I could think of that might be causing it is that the SIM card I'm using has been cut down from normal size to micro size.

I just wondered if anyone know's what's wrong or could suggest any fixes?

Thanks

I have the exact same issue here. Have you tried flashing a different modem?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2514095

Pens and DreamS

May 10, 2010
I actually got a new sim and it seema to be running good now. Will monitor and see

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bpclarke

Nov 9, 2013
Sorry for not updating - started using the Google forum alamarco linked and totally forgot about this post. Have just come across it again.

Just in case anyone looks here for a solution to this problem in the future, getting a new SIM fixed it for me too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app