FORUMS

[Q] SWP activation on Nexus 5 ?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By mike1369, Junior Member on 20th November 2013, 11:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

Nexus 5 does not activate SWP on UICC0 slot.

I tried to modify /system/etc/libnfc-brcm.conf by changing
1. NFA_MAX_EE_SUPPORTED=0 (was set to 0 with comment "Use for Host-Based CE")
2. ACTIVE_SE=0xF3, for UICC support (was set to 0 with comment "Use for Host-Based CE")

SWP contact is connected to the BCM 2079x chip, checked with ohm meter.

Do someone know what I could be missing to achieve UICC SWP activation ?

Thanks
Mike
28th November 2013, 07:05 PM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I tried exactly the same with no results...


Has anyone done some advance?
29th November 2013, 10:40 AM |#3  
mike1369's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Exclamation Nexus 4 upgraded to KitKat
Just to isolate Java framework down to JNI, I upgraded a Nexus 4 to KitKat (KRT16S) from google developers site.

After the same modification to /etc/libnfc-brcm.conf, SWP activates (NOTE: some Nexus 4 need hw modification to connect SWP to the UICC socket)

Should I conclude this is due to a restraint of the Broadcom BCM20793M firmware on the Nexus 5 ?
2nd December 2013, 02:29 PM |#4  
mike1369's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thumbs up libnfc-brcm-20791b05.conf
Hello,

Some progress here: There is a new configuration file in Nexus 5, that is not in Nexus 4
The file is /system/etc/libnfc-brcm-20791b05.conf.

It contains two settings toggling UICC discovery capability, and the default settings are set for HCE mode, new in KitKat (Host Card Emulation):

# Startup Configuration
# Use for Host based CE
#NFA_DM_START_UP_CFG={45:CB:01:01:A5:01:01:CA:17:0 0:... ... ... ...}

# Support UICC
NFA_DM_START_UP_CFG={45:CB:01:01:A5:01:01:CA:17:00 :... .... ... }


# Pre-Discovery Startup Configuration
# Use for Host based CE
# Do not set NFA_DM_PRE_DISCOVERY_CFG

# Support UICC
NFA_DM_PRE_DISCOVERY_CFG={0A:C2:08:01:88:00:04:40: 4B:4C:00}


With this setting, the SWP is activated at startup and a UICC SWP can complete its registration.

I still do not have Card Emulation working, but I guess the AID routing introduced in KitKat is part of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike1369 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mike1369 Ad-Free
27th December 2013, 07:32 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1369

Hello,

Some progress here: There is a new configuration file in Nexus 5, that is not in Nexus 4
The file is /system/etc/libnfc-brcm-20791b05.conf.

It contains two settings toggling UICC discovery capability, and the default settings are set for HCE mode, new in KitKat (Host Card Emulation):

# Startup Configuration
# Use for Host based CE
#NFA_DM_START_UP_CFG={45:CB:01:01:A5:01:01:CA:17:0 0:... ... ... ...}

# Support UICC
NFA_DM_START_UP_CFG={45:CB:01:01:A5:01:01:CA:17:00 :... .... ... }


# Pre-Discovery Startup Configuration
# Use for Host based CE
# Do not set NFA_DM_PRE_DISCOVERY_CFG

# Support UICC
NFA_DM_PRE_DISCOVERY_CFG={0A:C2:08:01:88:00:04:40: 4B:4C:00}


With this setting, the SWP is activated at startup and a UICC SWP can complete its registration.

I still do not have Card Emulation working, but I guess the AID routing introduced in KitKat is part of it.

I found the content above on a Chinese mobile forum,some say this solution can make the Nexus 5 swiping card on a bus or subway in Beijing with the NFC-SIM on the device.
I have the NFC-SIM in Nexus 5,but it can do nothing about this with nfc.So should i change the config file like this? And it can help me to use the NFC payment on the subway?

Thank you very much.
17th January 2014, 03:03 PM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsedaima

I found the content above on a Chinese mobile forum,some say this solution can make the Nexus 5 swiping card on a bus or subway in Beijing with the NFC-SIM on the device.
I have the NFC-SIM in Nexus 5,but it can do nothing about this with nfc.So should i change the config file like this? And it can help me to use the NFC payment on the subway?

Thank you very much.

Very, very interested on this guys.

So, if I follow mike1369... the steps needed to activate SWP on the Nexus 5 are:

1. Open /system/etc/libnfc-brcm.conf, and set those two lines to 0 and 0xF3? It's not clear to me from the first post.

2. Open /system/etc/libnfc-brcm-20791b05.conf and change the two lines about "# Support UICC" to the values that mike has written in bold... am I right?

I have an NFC SIM card but so far I haven't been able to use it. If this is correct I'll try it and see the results, then post back here.

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Ok, so I opened both files and I figured out what I had to change, they were pretty self explanatory. I just commented out (#) the lines that were meant for host card emulation and uncommented the ones for UICC, then rebooted the phone.

Unfortunately, I'm still unable to use my NFC SIM card. I'm trying to use it to access my workplace, but it just doesn't work. However, my colleagues can make it work with a Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S4 mini.

I assume UICC is what we need to have communication between the SIM card slot and the NFC chip, right?
24th January 2014, 10:40 AM |#7  
mike1369's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
If you post your two files /system/etc/libnfc-brcm.conf, and /system/etc/libnfc-brcm-20791b05.conf, I will give a check that the modifications are the expected ones.

Yes, UICC (UICC and SIM are synomyms) is connected by a SWP link to the NFC chip
25th January 2014, 12:47 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1369

If you post your two files /system/etc/libnfc-brcm.conf, and /system/etc/libnfc-brcm-20791b05.conf, I will give a check that the modifications are the expected ones.

Yes, UICC (UICC and SIM are synomyms) is connected by a SWP link to the NFC chip

Thanks a lot for your help!

Here are my files.

I was reading through them and I did an additional modification to libnfc-brcm.conf. Set the static pipe to UICC0 instead of UICC1 in the hopes that it would change something... but still no luck:

Code:
Configure the NFC Extras to open and use a static pipe.  If the value is
# not set or set to 0, then the default is use a dynamic pipe based on a
# destination gate (see NFA_HCI_DEFAULT_DEST_GATE).  Note there is a value
# for each UICC (where F3="UICC0" and F4="UICC1")
NFA_HCI_STATIC_PIPE_ID_F3=0x70
#NFA_HCI_STATIC_PIPE_ID_F4=0x71
Let me know if you see anything wrong.

As I said, the NFC SIM works fine with other devices such as the S4 or the S4 mini, but I can't get mine to interact with the terminals... they basically beep the wrong way and show an orange light instead of a green one (I know I know... not much info).

Thanks again!
27th January 2014, 09:52 AM |#9  
mike1369's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I don't see anything wrong in your files.
UICC card emulation should work
Can you confirm that 7816 interface works correctly, so that you can send GSM calls ?
And your UICC is a NFC one ?
27th January 2014, 09:59 AM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1369

I don't see anything wrong in your files.
UICC card emulation should work
Can you confirm that 7816 interface works correctly, so that you can send GSM calls ?
And your UICC is a NFC one ?

I can succesfully use 2G, 3G and 4G networks with my current SIM, been doing this forever.

And yes, our company recently replaced all our regular microSIMs with NFC microSIMs, so that we can use them to ID ourselves into our facilities.

However, most people here use either an S4 or an S4 mini as that's the corporate phone.

Maybe there's been some kind of modification to the corporate phones (either SW or HW) to allow them to work with our systems...?

Also, is there any way for me to check if the actual SWP service is enabled and running at startup? Any log file or anything else I can check? Just to discard any possible "physical damage" to the SWP link.

Again, thanks for helping out.
19th February 2014, 04:54 PM |#11  
mike1369's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thumbs up Got it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorML

I can succesfully use 2G, 3G and 4G networks with my current SIM, been doing this forever.

And yes, our company recently replaced all our regular microSIMs with NFC microSIMs, so that we can use them to ID ourselves into our facilities.

However, most people here use either an S4 or an S4 mini as that's the corporate phone.

Maybe there's been some kind of modification to the corporate phones (either SW or HW) to allow them to work with our systems...?

Also, is there any way for me to check if the actual SWP service is enabled and running at startup? Any log file or anything else I can check? Just to discard any possible "physical damage" to the SWP link.

Again, thanks for helping out.

I just discovered a non documented setting that makes the things work correctly with a UICC.
Add the following somewhere in /etc/libnfc-brcm.conf :

################################################## #############################
# Route technologies to UICC
DEFAULT_ISODEP_ROUTE=0xF3


As usual, best is to reboot the phone (to make sure the new configuration is taken into account by the NFC Service)

Can you confirm that you now have the expected behavior ?
On my side, I used a PC/SC reader and could play with the test applets embedded in the UICC.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes