FORUMS

Weak Wifi reception

550 posts
Thanks Meter: 129

By -A-P-M-, Senior Member on 6th November 2013, 08:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
A few users reported weak WiFi signal strength on N5. Good WiFi signal strength is very important for me and this is one of things I like on my current SGS, so Im wondering how good is Wlan strength on yours N5 ?

Also Androidizen posted video about WiFi problem:

6th November 2013, 08:57 AM |#2  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 28

More
I received my N5 yesterday and i am facing this weak WiFi signal problem.
I compared it with my Iphone 5.
i was 8 feet away having my back to router, iphone 5 showed full strength signals while N5 showed 3/4 signal strength.
6th November 2013, 08:57 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Ive had my nexus 5 for a few days now, and the main thing that is annoying me is the wifi, the signal is so flaky one minute im on full bars, next minute its on 1 or 2, then back to full. this can be in line of sight with the router. Ive tried a few routers at home and at work, same issue. I have tried an iphone, nokia and samsung and they all have a much better range. I'm contemplating taking this back now and getting a refund, as i don't think its acceptable. does anyone else get this constant fluctuation?

I have also noticed when you put your hand over the top of the phone the signal can drop completely. Not taht i do this, but other phones i have do not suffer with this.
6th November 2013, 12:01 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i take it not many people are seeing this issue, are others with the phone able to check the wifi range and fluctuations in comparison with other devices. How can it go from full bars to 2, then back to full constantly when other phones are solid. Trying to work out if its worth exchanging for another. Speeds just change from say 72mbs to like 19mbs non stop. Thanks
6th November 2013, 01:16 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 267

More
Side by side with my Nexus 4 I'm getting the same strength and speed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
6th November 2013, 01:30 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintume

I received my N5 yesterday and i am facing this weak WiFi signal problem.
I compared it with my Iphone 5.
i was 8 feet away having my back to router, iphone 5 showed full strength signals while N5 showed 3/4 signal strength.

Do not use the bars when comparing signal.

Download an app that shows you the actual signal level in dbm. Bars can be set to whatever the developer wants. I could make you have full bars at -110 dbm which would be a useless connection, but still show full bars. For the most part, you should disregard them.
6th November 2013, 02:33 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Would be possible to boost WiFi reception with a software tweak? Even if Google doesnt provide a fix, could be WiFi signal strength increased in custom roms? I hope some developer will know to answer this.

I have chance to get N5 32gb next week and I really want it, but since Im a lot in other countries, good WiFi signal strength is very important for me (to connect on WiFi hotspots)

Thanx
6th November 2013, 04:01 PM |#8  
Flag Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Is it an issue of signal strength only? Does it ever disconnect you completely? "Strength" would be much less of a concern than disconnects, now THAT would be annoying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spitfire For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Spitfire Ad-Free
6th November 2013, 07:17 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire

Is it an issue of signal strength only? Does it ever disconnect you completely? "Strength" would be much less of a concern than disconnects, now THAT would be annoying.

I have read that some N5 owners lost WiFi connection when they were about 10 m away from router. This is unacceptable IMO. I hope software tweak can boost WiFi reception.
6th November 2013, 07:26 PM |#10  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 142

More
I confirm the weak wifi too.
6th November 2013, 11:21 PM |#11  
Rome
Thanks Meter: 9

More
signal
i have nexus 5 16gb white, signal is very very weak!!! i have N4 and GN and have perfect signal!
the problem of weak wifi, is all about the nexus? we have to wait for a fix or should call google and give it back?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)