Thanks Meter: 256

By Humpie, Senior Member on 17th April 2014, 08:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st April 2015, 11:39 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up
I have this problem since 6 months now.
I have tried everything without success (flashing kernels and many custom roms) and finally buy a new phone.

Yesterday, i started my Nexus 5 (witch was not used and with no battery since 2-3 months) and miracle, Wifi and bluetooth were functionnal !
I have played with it 4-5 hours without any problem

Informations :
- It was on cynogenmod 12
- Before launch it i have booted on download mode (volume up + connecting usb cable)

Very strange for an hardware problem no ?

7th April 2015, 01:07 PM |#102  
Flag Santa Fe, NM
Thanks Meter: 80

More
This problem just started for me. I've tried all the "fixes" mentioned here and elsewhere on the web, including airplane mode, re-flashing Lollipop 5.1.0, factory reset, flashing another ROM (Cyanogenmod) - nothing has worked. I'll be putting in a call to Google Support in the morning, though I have a feeling they're going to tell me, "Sorry, but your phone is out of warranty."
toastgodsupreme
7th April 2015, 07:22 PM |#103  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbck2

This problem just started for me. I've tried all the "fixes" mentioned here and elsewhere on the web, including airplane mode, re-flashing Lollipop 5.1.0, factory reset, flashing another ROM (Cyanogenmod) - nothing has worked. I'll be putting in a call to Google Support in the morning, though I have a feeling they're going to tell me, "Sorry, but your phone is out of warranty."

did you attempt to fix permissions?
7th April 2015, 07:29 PM |#104  
Flag Santa Fe, NM
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastgodsupreme

did you attempt to fix permissions?

Isn't that more of an Apple thing? How would one do that in Android?
toastgodsupreme
7th April 2015, 08:38 PM |#105  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbck2

Isn't that more of an Apple thing? How would one do that in Android?

then you haven't tried everything like you said.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...4#post56924944

basically just run these commands:

Quote:

chown root:root /persist/wifi
chmod 755 /persist/wifi
chown wifi:wifi /persist/wifi/.macaddr
chmod 660 /persist/wifi/.macaddr

then reboot

here's the thing... when i was working on a way to modify my mac address, i managed to break my wifi. it would show turning on, but it wouldn't turn on. because i broke it, i knew what caused it, and i also fixed it by fixing my macaddr file and it's permissions. as of yet, i haven't seen anyone with this issue try this to fix their problem.
8th April 2015, 06:16 AM |#106  

More
Hi guys,

I am new to XDA.. but I've been a Nexus 5 owner since November 2013. My phone was running fine without any issues until Android 5.0 OTA , which I updated in Early 2015.

My wifi button grayed out/stuck turning wifi on like everyone mentioned here. It would work sometimes if I Factory Reset/Wipe - Airplane Mode , Reboot - Safemode ( sometimes work ). I got very frustrated with this issue and I decided to call LG for repair since my warranty was due. Even though LG customer service sucked really bad but they did repair my phone for free even though I am due for factory warranty. I got my phone back from LG after 2 weeks, they replaced * Motherboard * on the service paper. Guess what? IT DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM, so I called LG again and I Re-sent back the phone to LG for deeper investigation . After another 2 weeks that I send my phone in THE SECOND TIME, My nexus came back to me. This time the service paper indicate they * Searching for SVC message due to no service, Download new software* . Bummer, the WIFI still grayed out after Two repairs. So I called LG again today and my phone is going back to Fort Worth ,TX the third time.

I just want to let you guys know my part of story, Thank for reading. ---- My phone was never rooted and I don't plan to --- I don't think its a hardware issue, I blame Google for this ---
toastgodsupreme
9th April 2015, 11:56 PM |#107  

More
You guys are so boring.

So finally today I had this problem not of my own doing. Was using my phone and it rebooted on it's own. After that, wifi stuck turning on.

So I run my commands that I told you chuckle****s, and nothing. Weird. Should have worked.

I clear cache and dalvik to be on the safe side, reboot, not fixed. Weird.

I have the liveboot log enabled, I notice a few things:
E/wpa_supplicant( 2086): Could not set interface wlan0 flags (UP): Operation not permitted
E/wpa_supplicant( 2086): nl80211: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
E/wpa_supplicant( 2086): wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

wifistatemachine failed to start driver

<4>[ 1.802222] wifi_get_mac_addr
I/rmt_storage( 179):
<3>[ 1.802285] bcm_wifi_get_mac_addr: Failed to get information from file /persist/wifi/.macaddr (-2)

OH LOOK, FAILED TO GET MAC ADDRESS FROM FILE.

So I go in with root explorer, delete .macaddr file, and run these commands (the first line is my mac address being set, because I know what it is already; obviously you'll need SU to do this):
echo -ne '\x8c\x3a\xe3\x41\x8d\x79' > /persist/wifi/.macaddr
chown root:root /persist/wifi
chmod 755 /persist/wifi
chown wifi:wifi /persist/wifi/.macaddr
chmod 660 /persist/wifi/.macaddr

**Reboot, wifi works again.**

My guess is something got corrupted with the area where that file existed. Deleting it entirely and recreating it means it was created in a new area on the chip. **** if I know for certain though. What I do know is what I've been telling you guys for a while works and none of you are bothering with doing the easiest fix. But keep flashing custom roms and sending your phones in.

Most of you don't know what your wifi mac address is, have no motivation or way to find out, and will end up using mine, so I've modified mine in the first line to not be mine. Because I don't want you all out there cloning my ****ing mac addy since you can't be bothered to change it in the script.

Edit: I have not checked if a broken btaddr file affects wifi, possible but not likely, but that may need to be repaired too in a similar manner.
10th April 2015, 03:15 PM |#108  

More
IMEI number change on wifi repair
Hey all,
Its been 2 months I am facing the same issue with my Nexus 5. After looking at logs, I am convinced its a hardware issue. I have sent my phone twice to the LG repair center to change the logic board. Here is my question, If LG changes the logic board, should the IMEI number change?
toastgodsupreme
10th April 2015, 05:11 PM |#109  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAura

Hey all,
Its been 2 months I am facing the same issue with my Nexus 5. After looking at logs, I am convinced its a hardware issue. I have sent my phone twice to the LG repair center to change the logic board. Here is my question, If LG changes the logic board, should the IMEI number change?

And what did your logs say?
10th April 2015, 05:53 PM |#110  

More
Here is what i see just after bootup. I am running stock 5.0 without root.
04-10 09:43:21.255: E/wpa_supplicant(877): Could not set interface wlan0 flags (UP): Operation not permitted
04-10 09:43:21.255: E/wpa_supplicant(877): nl80211: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
04-10 09:43:21.256: E/wpa_supplicant(877): wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

Also is there a way to power reset the wifi chip? some equivalent to disconnecting the battery?
toastgodsupreme
10th April 2015, 05:59 PM |#111  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAura

Here is what i see just after bootup. I am running stock 5.0 without root.
04-10 09:43:21.255: E/wpa_supplicant(877): Could not set interface wlan0 flags (UP): Operation not permitted
04-10 09:43:21.255: E/wpa_supplicant(877): nl80211: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
04-10 09:43:21.256: E/wpa_supplicant(877): wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

Also is there a way to power reset the wifi chip? some equivalent to disconnecting the battery?

Did you even read my post RIGHT ABOVE YOURS where I posted the same log message AND fixed the issue? 😒
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
stuck, wifi, wifi stuck on turning on

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)