[Q]Wifi stuck on 'turning on'

Search This thread

Humpie

Recognized Developer
From what I have seen on the internet I'm not the only one with this problem, but as far as I know, I'm the only nexus 5 owner with this problem. See, two days ago, all of a sudden (I must confess, because the phone often forgets wifi networks, I was using the Wifi password recovery & backup app, but that can't be the problem, I use it all the time), but all of a sudden, after a reboot, my wifi is turned off. I already found that to be strange, but then it became even stranger: when I tried to turn it on, it kept on 'turning it on' but never actually turned it on! (the switch is still dark gray in the 'on' fase). I tried to figure out why it was doing this, the last apps I installed were Tasker, Autovoice and secure settings, so I uninstalled them, no difference. I tried disabeling my xposed framework, no difference. I tried wiping Cache and Dalvik cache, no difference. I accedently (swipe to wipe is dangerous!) completely wiped my phone, but still no difference. Then, using the Nexus Root Toolkit, I reverted back to stock and unrooted. Then finally, my wifi came back on :). So I slowly installed everything again (stupid me had no backup) and the wifi kept working for a day....:( And till now it's been off, not willing to turn on :(. It must be some app I installed I guess. I also tried to change kernels but again with no succes... Oh and my mac-adress is also nowhere to be found, is that normal when the wifi is turned off?
I'm sorry for the long personal story, but I would be very grateful if someone had a working idea :)
tnx in advance guys

Humpie

Recognized Developer
This is what Wifi Fixer tells me Screenshot_2014-04-17--22-46-11.jpg

Screenshot_2014-04-17--22-46-39.png
Not much, but now I am sure my wifi is stuck. tnx wifi fixer... They also advice me to factory reset (Already did) or flash a custom rom (maybe I will if I can't find a solution, or I'll wait for 4.4.3)

Reactions: futuresailor

monty6630

Nov 24, 2010
Islamabad
From what I have seen on the internet I'm not the only one with this problem, but as far as I know, I'm the only nexus 5 owner with this problem. See, two days ago, all of a sudden (I must confess, because the phone often forgets wifi networks, I was using the Wifi password recovery & backup app, but that can't be the problem, I use it all the time), but all of a sudden, after a reboot, my wifi is turned off. I already found that to be strange, but then it became even stranger: when I tried to turn it on, it kept on 'turning it on' but never actually turned it on! (the switch is still dark gray in the 'on' fase). I tried to figure out why it was doing this, the last apps I installed were Tasker, Autovoice and secure settings, so I uninstalled them, no difference. I tried disabeling my xposed framework, no difference. I tried wiping Cache and Dalvik cache, no difference. I accedently (swipe to wipe is dangerous!) completely wiped my phone, but still no difference. Then, using the Nexus Root Toolkit, I reverted back to stock and unrooted. Then finally, my wifi came back on :). So I slowly installed everything again (stupid me had no backup) and the wifi kept working for a day....:( And till now it's been off, not willing to turn on :(. It must be some app I installed I guess. I also tried to change kernels but again with no succes... Oh and my mac-adress is also nowhere to be found, is that normal when the wifi is turned off?
I'm sorry for the long personal story, but I would be very grateful if someone had a working idea :)
tnx in advance guys
Hey all,
After more than a week with NO WIFI, i have finally figured it out.
Here are the detailed.
ISSUE: After OTA update of 4.4.3 on new nexus 5, the phone was rebooted automatically and after reboot WIFI button was greyed out. It only showed "TURNING ON".
FAILED SOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Following step DID NOT HELP
1. Factory reset
2. Battery drain and recharge after full drain
3. Power off for few hours and restart
4. Whacking the set on palm (yes, whacking, it was a recommended solution on a thread)
5. Opened the handset and checked all the hardware link, every thing was fine
6. Bootloader unlock, recovery installation (TWRP), downgrade to 4.4.2 (downloaded from google's web page)
7. Downgrade to 4.4
8. OTA update from down graded firmware
9. Sideloading the 4.4.3 update on firmware 4.4.2
10. Rooting, and installation of custom ROM (slimKat, Cynaogen mod)
11. Installation of custom kernel (linaro)
12. Flashing of 4.4.2 & 4.4 Radio/Boot images on stock rom of 4.4.3
13. Clean install of 4.4.3 (removing everything from phone except recovery)
14. *#*#4636#*#*, goto wifi and restart.
15. *#*#4636#*#*, wifi state shown "UN-INITIALIZED"

Actual Solution that worked
***** Install Paranoid Android ROM on rooted Nexus 5. The issue is with Kernel , which control the HW/OS communication. Apparently Kernel of this ROM removed the issue (but installation of SlimKat/CyanogenMod/Custom Kernel).
I then restored the backup of stock 4.4.3 from recovery and did a factory reset. Wifi & every thing else works fine now *****

futuresailor

Jun 3, 2014
Please Help - Nexus 5 - No WIFI

Hey all,
Here are the detailed.
ISSUE: After OTA update of 4.4.3 on new nexus 5, the phone was rebooted automatically and after reboot WIFI button was greyed out. It only showed "TURNING ON".
1. Factory reset
4. Whacking the set on palm (yes, whacking, it was a recommended solution on a thread)
6. Bootloader unlock, recovery installation (TWRP), downgrade to 4.4.2 (downloaded from google's web page)
7. Downgrade to 4.4

***** Install Paranoid Android ROM on rooted Nexus 5. The issue is with Kernel , which control the HW/OS communication. Apparently Kernel of this ROM removed the issue (but installation of SlimKat/CyanogenMod/Custom Kernel).
I then restored the backup of stock 4.4.3 from recovery and did a factory reset. Wifi & every thing else works fine now *****

Hello all, I have developed the same problem on my wife's Nexus 5, some 2 weeks ago, WI-FI failing to turn on, just hangs at 'turning on'.
She had a 5 month old, unrooted Nexus 5 running 4.4.4 and had just added a new WIFI access point.

Initially I thought it may be a hardware issue with WIFI and tried similar fix as is detailed below to my WIFI antenna: (No success)
YouTube (Nexus 5 GPS Signal Antenna Fix)

I installed WIFI fixer app as first poster did which identified a possible software issue within know issues section.
Finally I found the monty possible fix above, thanks BTW, and thought I would give it a go.
I have completed the following actions (good learning curve) but still no WIFI.

• Attempted numerous reboots, factory resets and wipes from recovery mode. Ran battery down etc.
  • Rooted Nexus 5 with windows app, CF-Auto-Root, required windows google driver for nexus 5 though
  • Installed TWRP recovery
  • Factory Reset
  • Installed ROM (pa_hammerhead-4.44-20140722) from XDA
  • Factory reset
  • Rebooted
  • No WIFI
  • Installed ROM (N5_4.4.4_KTU84P) stock from XDA
  • Factory reset
  • Rebooted
  • Still no WIFI

Do I require to also install a PA GAPPS like (pa_gapps-stock-4.4.4-20140720-signed) with paranoid android?
Do I require to also wipe kernel somehow?
Can anyone advise if I am missing something obvious, exact ROMS to use or a better fix as phone is pretty useless without WIFI?

Thanks alot for any help, knowledge is power but helping may save mankind!

futuresailor

Jun 3, 2014
I flashed CM and gapps listed below:

cm-11-20140727-NIGHTLY-hammerhead
gapps-kk-20140606-signed

Still no wi-fi with same issue.
Did a restore to stock I installed.

Is there an easy way to check its not just a hardware failure?
I tried catlog but it was just gobbledegook....

bouncybee

Feb 21, 2014
I had the same problem and I managed to resolve it eventually. I performed a factory reset and flashed CWM, had the WiFi working intermittently. I then killed Bluetooth Share and folder /data/misc/wifi/, seems to be working fine now...

Reactions: fowzan

fowzan

Jul 29, 2014
I had the same problem and I managed to resolve it eventually. I performed a factory reset and flashed CWM, had the WiFi working intermittently. I then killed Bluetooth Share and folder /data/misc/wifi/, seems to be working fine now...

i have the exact same problem. i tried to do what helped you. after deleting those files, the wifi would actually turn on. it even scans and identifies the signals. but then it doesnt connect. as soon as i tap connect it give me an error "failed to connect to network" and goes back to searching infinitely.
any other thoughts you got about fixing this?

erupe

Sep 27, 2011
Washington, DC
i have the exact same problem. i tried to do what helped you. after deleting those files, the wifi would actually turn on. it even scans and identifies the signals. but then it doesnt connect. as soon as i tap connect it give me an error "failed to connect to network" and goes back to searching infinitely.
any other thoughts you got about fixing this?

I tried just about every way I could think to fix this issue. Safe mode, factory reset, root, then installed franco kernel, then installed CM11, installed stock 4.4.2 to see if reverting helped. all and wifi still stuck just saying "wifi turning on..."

I think it must be a hardware issue, sending back to LG soon.

mas2112

Jul 4, 2011
Also ran into this issue today. I'm running CarbonROM. Before this issue started, my phone started to act strangely. It wouldn't wake up from sleep, and needed to be rebooted. My WiFi is currently working, but when I leave the house, it still thinks it's connected to my WiFi at home. It's strange. What seemed to work for me temporarily is to put the phone in airplane mode, reboot, then turn off airplane mode. I also booted into Safe Mode (which didn't work properly, maybe a CarbonROM issue?), then rebooted back normally, and everything seems to work now...

Update 1:

WiFi stopped working again. I did a factory reset, then installed CM11 M9, and WiFi works again. Strange... I hope this isn't a hardware problem. I read some other forums where the motherboard was swapped out.

Update 2:

WiFi stopped working in CM11 after a while. I guess I'll try to switch back to stock.

Update 3:

I did a full reinstall of the stock ROM, including resetting the tamper flags. Now it seems my wifi is working again...

Update 4:

With stock 4.4.4 my WiFi worked for a while, then stopped working. I did a factory reset, and cannot connect to WiFi anymore :( I think I will have to RMA it. Currently in contact with Google support.

Last edited:

iperetta

Aug 23, 2014

iperetta

Aug 23, 2014
Hardware problem

Sorry to hear that is indeed not unusual as I thought.

I have this thread opened: http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/nexus-5-wi-fi-issue-hardware-software-t2856105/post55003889, if you guys think it is a good idea, I can move it to here.

First time, I also did everything you have listed, without success. This time, with a second Nexus 5, I'm very disappointed with Google/LG... No answer from the support in three days. :mad:

I've just spoke to Google's support team and they told me it is a hardware problem. It seems I am terrible unlucky to get this problem twice with different devices (same model). Well, I'm giving it a shot and asking for my third replacement. Supposedly, it is the fair way to go. I strongly advice if you got the same problem to ask Google for a replacement.

Thanks to all that tried to help.

Bladeage

Jan 24, 2012
I've had the same problem. I was trying to fix, that my N5 was not automatically connecting to my AP.
I modified the wpa_supplicant.cfg and after that as an effect nothing seemed to work.

The Wifi stuck on *as the thread already names it* on 'turning on'.

I deleted the whole wpa supplicant after making a backup, so that I can keep all those WPA, WEP, WPS-keys, ... etc.

Restart -> done fixing !

:victory:

Cheers

Vollspacken

Nov 19, 2013
Had the same issue yesterday on Mahdi with Uber-Kernel, a cachewipe solved this temporarily. Today when i got home after work it just didn't want to turn on wifi, deleted these folders, did a clean flash, nothing of those methods work. Now i'm trying a fullwipe with factory images, hope it does work. Already sent an e-mail to Google Support, just in case they know about it and get my fifth RMA-device.

edit: still doesn't work after flashing factory images.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    tnx in advance guys
    Update
    as silly as it may seems but this was a relief for me
    i got mad at it yesterday and smashed my nexus 5 into million pieces
    it was driving me crazy
    i will never buy any LG products not mobiles , dish washers or any of its products ever again.
    tnx in advance guys
    Hey all,
    Here are the detailed.
    1. Factory reset
    7. Downgrade to 4.4

Can you give us some details about baking the mainboard? I'd like to try this method, I don't have anything to lose! :D

Take the phone apart and remove the main board (the large board above the battery). It has about 5 connectors plugged in. Remove your SIM. Preheat oven (I used a toaster oven) to 350 degrees, and put the board in on a crumpled piece of foil so there's plenty of airflow all around. Bake for 3 minutes. Remove it and let it cool down. Reassemble phone.
    Updated Android 6.0 solved the issue

tnx in advance guys

So I had the unfortunate experience of having my wifi go down while on vacation and for 3 weeks I spent a good chunk of time wiping and reinstalling multiple versions from Cyanogen, Paranoid android and 4.4 - 5.1 to no avail. I just did another factory wipe today and installed the new Android 6.0

The Finger Pointing Game is OVER
    Read through 30+ pages of other android users with similar experience and some people send their units back to LG and some even managed getting a new handset. There was never any hardware issues with my unit I just couldn't turn on the WiFi but after the install WiFi works? Guess next time you push a software update to our Phones CHECK YOUR SH*T google and Maybe DON'T Take 3 months to FIX your F*CK Up.