FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Power Switch Repair [If Things went very wrong][solder-pads-wrecked] [Hardware-Hack]

526 posts
Thanks Meter: 190

By dodjob, Senior Member on 5th June 2015, 09:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi I just wanted to completely brag

Ok I bought a N5 on Ebay with a "broken" PS-(Power-Switch).
I have seen a few way to repair it and thought this could be really doable...
It wasn't what I would name a "good hit" ^^
The phone had already been opened and a very unsuccessful repair had been conducted.
Nexus 5 defective power switch
Ok as you see, damn ^^
SO the solder pads were toasted (only epoxy)
Impossible to get it to work.
I googled (a lot) and found this thread from Rizwan Sayyed
http://www.mobilerdx.com/2015/03/rep...tton-ways.html
Well, I did it The wire used is 0,35mm winding wire (they are isolated)
I actually have brought a litlle mods on it.
Here a pic:
dodjob mod
why is it awesome? ^^ Well, because there is actually only one MB hack, which reduce of 50% the possibility of failure
The left port of the switch has to be connected to the little resistor as explained by Rizwan Sayyed
As soon as the frame of teh switch was still linked to the ground. I just had to solder the right port to the frame of the switch.
IT IZ DONE
That's actually quite simple even if VERY VERY tiny. It took me age to get it correctly welded and I must admit that I thought a bunch of times that it was "dead"
I secured the wire with hot glue (be careful it's tricky)
NOW there is a little draw back to this mod. The aluminum main back cover has a support directly on the ground trace. As soon as you have your hack-wire on the trace. You will have to substantially remove material on the rear cover.
Like this:

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

Hope it helps some desperate guy somewhere
## Please note that this hack is actually pretty advanced and require MAD SOLDERING SKILLZ. Do it ONLY if you know what you are doing and are LIKE ME very very very good at it ^^## <-- Yes me pretty (and) proud
The Grüß,
H.
PS: Image are huge. "open in a new tab"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dodjob For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dodjob Ad-Free
1st August 2019, 07:03 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Please advice
Hello doodjob, thank you for posting this amazing info. One of the contact points (the one shown here i.e. the one you have connected with wire) is broken on my PCB, while the other is intact. Can you please suggest what I can do? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
3rd November 2019, 10:28 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Maxhütte-Haidhof
Thanks Meter: 190

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swappykzn

Hello doodjob, thank you for posting this amazing info. One of the contact points (the one shown here i.e. the one you have connected with wire) is broken on my PCB, while the other is intact. Can you please suggest what I can do? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

didnt see your post mate ^^
its actually not a port but an sms cap. Do you have a picture of how broken is it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)