FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL] [March 3] ElementalX N5 8.14 (Nougat) 9.02 (Oreo)

17,985 posts
Thanks Meter: 87,025
 
By flar2, Recognized Developer on 9th November 2013, 04:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th June 2014, 06:24 PM |#10001  
GtrCraft's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 15,325
 
Donate to Me
More
Letting the battery drain to almost empty is dangerous and damaging to lithium ion batteries. You should only drain it till the low battery notification pops up(around 20%). Frequent 10%, 20%,50% charging/discharging cycle is good with Li-ion battery,frequently letting it drain to <10% then charge them back to 100% produces a lot of heat in the charging process and is bad for it.[/QUOTE]

That is some serious bull****
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GtrCraft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2014, 06:29 PM |#10002  
boxcar8028's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 220
 
More
10001
24th June 2014, 06:36 PM |#10003  
NovaSlim's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Columbus,Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2,659
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrCraft


That is some serious bull****

Just restating what my googling tells me, if you want to argue why don't you show some sources that backs up your argument?
24th June 2014, 06:39 PM |#10004  
Silas0220's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clauu

I'm just wondering what has kernel to do with rom? I'm only on another kernel, in rest all stock.. i must reflash stock kernel or stock rom before flashiing elementalx?

Some kernels (I know Franco for a fact, cause it's bitten me in the ass) change files in /system. If you don't flash your ROM (or flash system.img and boot.img if you're running just the stock ROM), you may/ will have trouble. I know I just flashed boot.img coming from Franco's to stock the first time when I wanted an OTA and it was a no go.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSense

Just restating what my googling tells me, if you want to argue why don't you show some sources that backs up your argument?

Did you even click on the link in his post? He gave an excellent source right there.
24th June 2014, 06:44 PM |#10005  
doomed151's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,210
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrCraft

That is some serious bull****

It's not. Draining li-ion or li-po batteries is very bad and will reduce its total capacity permanently. Other than that, it's fine to charge them however you want as long as the temperature is kept in check.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doomed151 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift doomed151 Ad-Free
24th June 2014, 06:45 PM |#10006  
NovaSlim's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Columbus,Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2,659
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas0220


Did you even click on the link in his post? He gave an excellent source right there.


Unless my glasses are deceiving me there is no such link in his post(that I responded to), it only had the link I posted in the previous page. That link actually proves my point that deep charge/discharge are no good for lithium battery health. You obviously never read that link through before jumping to conclusion

At any rate, avoid full discharge/charge cycle is the rule of rules on prolonging Lithium ion battery life, you can google on this all day and that will appear in 80%+ of the article you find on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomed151

It's not. Draining li-ion or li-po batteries is very bad and will reduce its total capacity permanently. Other than that, it's fine to charge them however you want as long as the temperature is kept in check.

+1, plus the best way to keep charging temperature in check is to do frequent small recharges(10-20%) and avoid high% recharge(50-80%), heat builds up constantly while the battery is actively charging.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NovaSlim For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NovaSlim Ad-Free
24th June 2014, 06:54 PM |#10007  
GtrCraft's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 15,325
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSense

Just restating what my googling tells me, if you want to argue why don't you show some sources that backs up your argument?

Your source is backing me up more than your statement. Completely drain your battery is never good but around 5-10% is good enough.
And like the article says the life of a battery depends on using experience not drainage
24th June 2014, 06:58 PM |#10008  
NovaSlim's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Columbus,Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2,659
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrCraft

Your source is backing me up more than your statement. Completely drain your battery is never good but around 5-10% is good enough.
And like the article says the life of a battery depends on using experience not drainage

You never mentioned 5-10% in your previous post, you said" almost completely"(how could one not assume you don't mean 1-2%). I still advocate not going beyond 20% but that's personal preference. How does the source back up your argument of draining battery almost empty a few time? It clearly says one should charge the battery frequently and avoid near full(100%) charge/discharge cycles.

A complete recharge from 5-10% would create a lot of heat(just check your battery temperature graph, or just touch your phone) and damage the longevity of your Li-ion battery. To do it sometime like you suggested does no good for a Li-ion battery and only causes unnecessary heat from a high% recharging.
24th June 2014, 07:01 PM |#10009  
doomed151's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,210
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrCraft

Your source is backing me up more than your statement. Completely drain your battery is never good but around 5-10% is good enough.
And like the article says the life of a battery depends on using experience not drainage

5-10% is probably fine but this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrCraft

It's not bad at all, as long as you sometime let it drain almost completely

is not. Li-ion's capacity deteriorates with temperature, time, and charge cycles (in no particular order).
24th June 2014, 07:03 PM |#10010  
GtrCraft's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 15,325
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSense

You never mentioned 5-10% in your previous post, you said" almost completely"(how could one not assume you don't mean 1-2%). I still advocate not going beyond 20% but that's personal preference. Plus a complete recharge from 5-10% would create a lot of heat(just check your battery temperature graph, or just touch your phone) and damage the life of your Li-ion battery.

Charging it too much heats it also: http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-...ht-w-513217256
There is no way to let it stand perfectly. But someone with common sense knows I didnt mean 1% (when the phone turns off) with "almost completely"

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomed151

5-10% is probably fine but this...



is not. Li-ion's capacity deteriorates with temperature, time, and full charge/discharge cycles (in no particular order).

And you better read my link too
24th June 2014, 07:12 PM |#10011  
NovaSlim's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Columbus,Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2,659
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrCraft

Charging it too much heats it also: http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-...ht-w-513217256
There is no way to let it stand perfectly. But someone with common sense knows I didnt mean 1% (when the phone turns off) with "almost completely"

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------



And you better read my link too



the link you posted clearly mentions
Quote:

But! You don't want to have it charging all the time either; lithium-ion batteries can get overheated. Luckily for you, your charger is smart enough to help with this, and will cut your phone off for a spell once it's full.

With overcharge protection built into batteries & chargers there is no real problem unless you let your device sit on the charger forever(which you won't if you just go for short recharges often instead of let it sit on the charger the whole night) after it gets full, most phones(Nexus 5 included) actually reports a fake 100% to prevent you from overcharging(mine goes to 99% quickly after coming off the charger).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes