19th November 2013, 02:04 PM |#501  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Meter: 11,941

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeryder007

It is easy to fix. A simple build prop change that anyone in the Dev forum should know how to do. All the hard work they are putting in this ROM should be thanked, not whined about.

I'm making a suggestion in a DEVELOPMENT THREAD, not whining. It's a silly quirk at best, potentially crippling at worst. I thanked them for reversing the other decision to remove recovery from the reboot menu. I do thank them, but I can also point out stuff that needs improving.

Maybe you can't understand the logic I stated, but the AVERAGE DISPLAY SIZE of smartphones SlimRom will support is only going to increase. Why? Because the trend is for smartphones at LEAST 5" in size and all the smaller older Androids are going to die out.
  • 261 dpi looked OK on a 4.0" phone I put SlimBean on for a friend last year.
  • However, it looked strange on my 4.65" Galaxy Nexus.
  • Now, on my 5" Nexus 5 it looks ridiculous.

So, as the display gets LARGER, 261 dpi becomes LESS useful, and even counter-productive. So, in a development thread I am suggesting they NOT change the default dpi to something ridiculously smaller than stock, and will be increasingly ridiculously smaller as all the supported phones get larger in size.

When the next Nexus phone goes to 5.2" or 5.5", still 261 dpi? REALLY?

261 dpi may have been "neat" for smaller displays, but now is "jumping the shark". If you don't understand that American cultural reference, look it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free

19th November 2013, 02:16 PM |#502  
Flag 48122
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Yes slim ROMs have always been like this and a lot of people love the smaller DPI.....ran slim on my last 6 phones and stuck with stock DPI on slim for all of them including this one.....if u don't like it change it or go to a different ROM......its really really easy to change

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

And stock DPI on this ROM is not 261 its 361

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelsonator1982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nelsonator1982 Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 02:24 PM |#503  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonator1982

Yes slim ROMs have always been like this and a lot of people love the smaller DPI.....ran slim on my last 6 phones and stuck with stock DPI on slim for all of them including this one.....if u don't like it change it or go to a different ROM......its really really easy to change

I disagree. I don't think people love the EXTREME smaller dpi, I think they tolerate it for the actual improvements SlimRom brings. I bet most immediately change it, the way I do. If it was only slightly smaller, would be more acceptable. I still think stock dpi for each device -- or closer to stock -- with ability to change to smaller if you want is the way to go.

It was EASY to change in earlier versions, but in this version the ROM setting to change it is missing. It's the first thing I always change so I can actually USE the phone. But I had to use Build Prop Editor this time.

I've installed Slim ROM on many, many phones and I've donated money to the cause, so I am a fan. But I also reserve the right to make suggestions in a development thread and I will vehemently defend that right. Some people mistakenly think XDA threads should be praise only and worship.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 02:29 PM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 2,088

More
Give the team some time. I'm sure the DPI setting menu will come back. In the grand scheme of things that aren't implemented yet that one is very minute as anyone with a file explorer or app can change it on their own. I'd much rather see TRDS, transparency options, lockscreen targets, customizable quick settings tiles, etc. before some DPI change I can make happen myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrasLOHF For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndrasLOHF Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 02:29 PM |#505  
Flag 48122
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt

I disagree. I don't think people love the smaller dpi, I think they tolerate it for the actual improvements SlimRom brings.

It was EASY to change in earlier versions, but in this version the ROM setting to change it is missing.

They have not merged the DPI changer in the settings.....please allow them time to do this....this ROM is still in BETA.....download ROM tool box and change it takes 30 seconds and a reboot.......

19th November 2013, 02:31 PM |#506  
Flag Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 923

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I disagree. I don't think people love the smaller dpi, I think they tolerate it for the actual improvements SlimRom brings.

It was EASY to change in earlier versions, but in this version the ROM setting to change it is missing. It's the first thing I always change so I can actually USE the phone. But I had to use Build Prop Editor this time.

Just use a build.prop editor to change it. For example, I use ROM Toolbox Pro to change it and it's really simple and effective. I've heard that there are quite a few other free apps on GPlay that can achieve a similar result.

I personally love the smaller DPI that is default on Slim, just my opinion...

19th November 2013, 02:31 PM |#507  
Flag TN - Italy
Thanks Meter: 3,225

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It was EASY to change in earlier versions, but in this version the ROM setting to change it is missing.

The problem is that only the stricly necessary is implemented a step by step.
However, when "change dpi" will be implemented it allow you the change in 2 or 3 reboots.
Is more fast to change the prop inside the rom. Or compile yourself, like me.
I don't agree the SlimRom's choice about dpi. But is their own choice... I have to adjust.
19th November 2013, 02:50 PM |#508  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta, Georgia

Donate to Me
More
sound mod for Nexus 5
I've seen lots of complaints about the speaker volume on the Nexus 5. (and I mean even the normal Nexus 5, not the ones that got factory glue stuck in the grills)

But have you guys seen this?

[MOD] Headphone and Speaker Volume Boost for the Nexus 5
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2532788

It's AMAZING. Would be great for SlimKat to incorporate something like this in the Nexus 5 ROM. Apparently modifies this on the Nexus 5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerjed

it's system/etc/mixer_paths.xml on the N5

Works on both headphone and SPEAKERS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theesotericone

Thanks for this guys.

I just looked at the zip and I'm impressed by the simplicity of the mod. I can confirm that it works. I had to freeze faux sound to get the full effect but you noted that in the OP. Using Rocket Player with EQ and preamp turned off for the first time since I had this phone. Headphones are crystal clear and the volume is deafening at full blast.

After using it, I had to lower all my volume sliders down to 50% for "normal" volume. But if I need louder in certain situations, I can slide them over for much MORE.

If anyone flashes this mod, be sure to cancel any other sound mods (like in kernels). Can't use another sound modification in addition to this one, as it may cause distortion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChazzMatt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChazzMatt Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 03:30 PM |#509  
Flag manila
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:

I've seen lots of complaints about the speaker volume on the Nexus 5. (and I mean even the normal Nexus 5, not the ones that got factory glue stuck in the grills)

But have you guys seen this?

[MOD] Headphone and Speaker Volume Boost for the Nexus 5
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2532788

It's AMAZING. Would be great for SlimKat to incorporate something like this in the Nexus 5 ROM. Apparently modifies this on the Nexus 5:

Works on both headphone and SPEAKERS.

After using it, I had to lower all my volume sliders down to 50% for "normal" volume. But if I need louder in certain situations, I can slide them over for much MORE.

If anyone flashes this mod, be sure to cancel any other sound mods (like in kernels). Can't use another sound modification in addition to this one, as it may cause distortion.

Wow it works with slimkat! amazing volume boost for both speaker and headphones. Thank you for this one.

19th November 2013, 03:42 PM |#510  
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 8,379

More
Just for my short two cents DPI is a small issue really. It might be a big issue if there weren't so many easy ways to change it. But since it is so easy to change I don't see that the team should bother with it at all. Personally I'd rather have them spend their time on core rom functionality issues and bringing more features to the rom that makes slim slim.
Just for a little feedback on the 1.2 alpha....well, I really can't see any issues at all with any of the features that are implemented, none that I noticed anyways. The rom is VERY battery friendly, fluid, and fast as all getout. The only issues I have still revolve around connectivity. I noticed whenever I reboot my phone I get "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.location has stopped" so not sure what that's about. I do notice that at times my gps seems kind of spotty. I have it set to high accuracy, so it is turned on, but if I go into an app like maps, it sometimes says that my location can't be found etc. With the 1.2 again when I reboot, my wifi is turned off and will not turn on unless I manually do it. A couple times I went to turn my wifi on and I got no response from the toggle and needed to reboot to get it to function. And sometimes with wifi it is on but doesn't show that in the status bar. I haven't had any signal or data drops yet today like I was describing before, but haven't tested much yet today.
So overall, other than the data issues, the rom runs very well. Noticed when I put my phone on my wireless charger the phone acted just as it should and did it's normal thing when connecting to wireless charger, so thanks for fixing that. Still gonna switch to t-mob and see if that solves some of my issues Keep up the good work fellas, very solid alpha and great work so far, very happy with the rom overall.
The Following User Says Thank You to DroidIt! For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DroidIt! Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 04:02 PM |#511  
Thanks Meter: 6,789

More
Quote:

I'm making a suggestion in a DEVELOPMENT THREAD, not whining. It's a silly quirk at best, potentially crippling at worst. I thanked them for reversing the other decision to remove recovery from the reboot menu. I do thank them, but I can also point out stuff that needs improving.

Maybe you can't understand the logic I stated, but the AVERAGE DISPLAY SIZE of smartphones SlimRom will support is only going to increase. Why? Because the trend is for smartphones at LEAST 5" in size and all the smaller older Androids are going to die out.

• 261 dpi looked OK on a 4.0" phone I put SlimBean on for a friend last year.
  • However, it looked strange on my 4.65" Galaxy Nexus.
  • Now, on my 5" Nexus 5 it looks ridiculous.

So, as the display gets LARGER, 261 dpi becomes LESS useful, and even counter-productive. So, in a development thread I am suggesting they NOT change the default dpi to something ridiculously smaller than stock, and will be increasingly ridiculously smaller as all the supported phones get larger in size.

When the next Nexus phone goes to 5.2" or 5.5", still 261 dpi? REALLY?

261 dpi may have been "neat" for smaller displays, but now is "jumping the shark". If you don't understand that American cultural reference, look it up.

You have it completely wrong.
The N5 uses 361 not 261.
Which makes it about the same as it always is.

About the sound mod, I don't think it would be smart to add it since my N5 already distorts on hightest volume without any mods applied.
Headphone volume is as well already loud enough.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nebucatnetzer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nebucatnetzer Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread