FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP]Volume Boost for Nexus 5 [V. 2.1.4] 100,000+ Installs - Full MARSHMALLOW support

276 posts
Thanks Meter: 300

By tenf00t, Senior Member on 20th March 2014, 06:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Formally the "Nexus 5 Real Volume Booster" The app is now Called "Volume Boost for Nexus 5".

Hey guys. I just published a free app based on the work done by SuperHanss http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...532788&page=63

This app will create the file for you with the values you specify for Headset and Speaker volumes. Makes the whole process even easier and you can try multiple values really fast until you are satisfied.

The app will actually generate a file that you can then install with you custom recovery image.

Web Site: www.pc-rev.com

Very easy to use:
Detailed Video Instructions: http://www.pc-rev.com/instructions.html

1- Download the app from the playstore Nexus 5 Real Volume Booster
2- Run App
3- Enter desired volume values. (Please be careful and don't enter something crazy, max values are suggested in the app)
4- Hit "Save"
5- Hit "Reboot to Recovery" (requires root, if you dont have root, reboot into recovery as you normally would)
6- Install (Flash) /sdcard/N5VolumeBoost.zip (Tested wit TWRP and CWM)

Please backup first. As always, use at your own risk.

Hope you like it, let me know if you encounter any bugs.

More editable values to come in future updates.

Update: Version 2.1.4
  • Minor error in displayed text

Update: Version 2.1.3
  • The last update prevented users with Marshmallow to save the file. This new version will ask for permission when running the app.

Update: Version 2.1.2
  • Possible fix for black screen that affected some phones on Android 6.0.1

Update: Version 2.1.1
  • Added full support for Android Marshmallow
  • Removed old "Restore to defaults" buttons for Lollipop preview versions
  • Minor code tweaks

Update: Version 2.1.0
Update: Version 2.0.7
  • This version ads an "instructions button" which links to my website containing text and video instructions.

Update: Version 2.0.6
  • Corrected TWRP output that said the app was compatible with 4.4.2 based ROMs. Now says that it's also compatible with 5.x

Update: Version 2.0.5
  • Added "Restore Defaults Lollipop" button

Update: Version 2.0.3
  • Compatible with Lollipop
  • Fixed issues with LPX13d (Latest L preview)
  • Integrated all original mixer_paths.xml files when the restore defaults button is used. These files will now match the original files MD5 which google may try to detect in future OTA updates.
  • Change location of temporary files from SD Card to internal storage (you can now delete the N5VolumeBoost folder from the root of your SD card)
  • Changed the way temporary files are deleted

Update: Version 2.0.2
Added:
- Spanish
- Russian
- Italian
- Hindi

Update: Version 2.0.1
French language added

Update: Version 2.0.0
Major update.
I have completely changed the way the file is being generated. The app now reads your existing mixer_paths.xml and changes only the speaker and headphone values. To my knowledge no other mod or app does this. The app would previously overwrite the entire mixer_paths.xml with one stored in the app along with the values you specified for speaker and headphones.

Implications:
1- Any other modifications you or one of your apps have previously done to the mixer_paths.xml will not be overwritten by my app.
2- This also makes the app pretty much future proof. Since it is reading your existing file, the app doesn't have to store different versions of the mixer_paths.xml for every new version of Android. It just reads your existing file looks only for the values it needs to change and doesn't touch the rest of the file.
3- Because of reason 2 the app should now be compatible with the L Preview and any modifications that could be applied to the L Preview until the final release.

Update: Version 1.3.0
The most requested feature has now been added:
The app will now read and show the active values for speaker and headphone volume instead of showing the Nexus 5 defaults.

Update: Version 1.2.9
Minor UI Modifications

Update: Version 1.2.8
Added 2 buttons. "Restore Defaults 4.4.2" and "Restore Defaults 4.4.3"

This will help users that are having issues upgrading to Android 4.4.3 with the OTA update.

Update: Version 1.2.7
- Added support for Android 4.4.3

Update: Version 1.2.6
- Fixed a minor bug

Update: Version 1.2.5 for free version
- Fixed a minor bug with the ads which is why there is no new release for the PRO version

Update: Version 1.2.4
- Added Instructions
- Added a popup confirming that the file was written to disk
- Made the app scrollable for users using a larger font

Update: Version 1.2.3
- Minor bug fixes

Update: Version 1.2

- New cleaner background and layout changes
- Code cleanup
- Minor bug fixes

NEW PRO VERSION AVAILABLE

PRO Version has same functionnality as the FREE version.

$0.99

Advantages of PRO version

- No ADS
- You help support my work
- You have my eternal gratitude
- You feel so much better about yourself
- I can buy myself half a cup of coffee (to help me stay alert while working on the app of course)

Click HERE to go PRO

Thank you for your support
The Following 103 Users Say Thank You to tenf00t For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tenf00t Ad-Free
20th March 2014, 07:08 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,395

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenf00t

Hey guys. I just published a free app based on the work done by SuperHanss http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...532788&page=63

This app will create the file for you with the values you specify for Headset and Speaker volumes. Makes the whole process even easier and you can try multiple values really fast until you are satisfied.

The app will actually generate a file that you can then install with you custom recovery image.

Very easy to use:

1- Download the app from the playstore Nexus 5 Real Volume Booster
2- Run App
3- Enter desired volume values. (Please be careful and don't enter something crazy, max values are suggested in the app)
4- Hit "Save"
5- Hit "Reboot to Recovery"
6- Install /sdcard/N5VolumeBoost.zip (I only tested with TWRP)

Please backup first. As always, use at your own risk.

Hope you like it, let me know if you encounter any bugs.

More editable values to come in future updates.

Project thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2688283

i just tried it, and it works well. thank you
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift simms22 Ad-Free
20th March 2014, 07:11 PM |#3  
Flag 300 meters from the Rhein
Thanks Meter: 9,706

More
Subscribeded!
20th March 2014, 08:41 PM |#4  
Flag Thessaloníki, Greece
Thanks Meter: 2,745

Donate to Me
More
Nice!!!!
21st March 2014, 02:16 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I was asked if I could add in call volume settings to the app. It currently only supports headphone and speaker volume.

This is easy but I want to make sure sure to name them correctly in the app so people know what these values actually do.

The following values are modified by SuperHanss in the /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml. I'm not 100% sure on what they actually accomplish and don't want to mislead users that install the app.

Can anyone let me know if the followin assumptions are correct?

Not sure what this does?
<path name="handset">
<ctl name="EAR PA Gain" value="POS_6_DB" />

This would improve microphone sensitivity?
<path name="handset-mic">
<ctl name="DEC6 Volume" value="99" />

This would increave voice volume using the phone when next to the ear?
<path name="voice-handset">
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="99" />

This would increave voice volume using the speakerphone?
<path name="voice-speaker-mic">
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="99" />

If you could also recommend maximum values, that would be great.

Thanks a lot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tenf00t For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tenf00t Ad-Free
24th March 2014, 11:20 AM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 74

More
mind asking why you need root to create a file on sdcard? should be possible with regular app permissions...
24th March 2014, 11:27 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendong2

mind asking why you need root to create a file on sdcard? should be possible with regular app permissions...

You don't need root to create the zip file, but you do need root ot install it. At least as far as I know, unless you can install and have a fully working custom recovery image without root?
The Following User Says Thank You to tenf00t For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tenf00t Ad-Free
24th March 2014, 02:23 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
I believe to edit files in the system partition, you need root. You do not need root to edit files in the sdcard/storage directory.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th March 2014, 02:49 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaz

I believe to edit files in the system partition, you need root. You do not need root to edit files in the sdcard/storage directory.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes, I know that. Here is a clarification of how the APP works.
  1. It creates the .zip file that you will need to import later with your custom recovery image (NO ROOT NEEDED HERE)
  2. You then reboot into recovery to install the ZIP file (ROOT NEEDED HERE)

So in theory ROOT is not required for the APP to generate the zip file but the zip file alone is useless. ROOT is needed to install this zip file which is why I'm saying the app needs ROOT. If I don't write that i'll get a bunch of bad feedback saying the app doesn't work.

I have also added a "Reboot to recovery" button for convenience which does require ROOT if you decide to use it.

Hope this clarifies everything.

Thank you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tenf00t For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tenf00t Ad-Free
25th March 2014, 05:43 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 3,082

Donate to Me
More
Works great!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
25th March 2014, 09:31 PM |#11  
Flag Brussels
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Great job there. I tryed 95 but it's way too much the sound isn't clean at all. I found 91 to be perfect for me. Just a question, do i have to keep the files it has created or can i delete them all once i've flashed?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
headphone boost, nexus 5 volume boost, speaker volume, volume fix, volume mod

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)